Budget Build: Gambit and Rogue in Four Weeks.

OMG PROGRESS! So things have been crazy-busy lately, and as a result I haven't touched any of my costumes in a week - which sucks as I've got five days left and a lot to do! I don't have many images (more tomorrow), but do have some updates. We finally built the bracers, boots, belt, and headgear today, and got everything painted. The armor/hardware still needs some attachments, but is otherwise complete.

Tomorrow we'll finish up a telescoping bo staff, Gambit's neckpiece and pants, and maybe experiment with some flashy card work. Nearly there!

completed chest:
image.jpg

Armor bits:
image.jpg

Thanks! I'm stoked to get it done! I think it's looking pretty fun so far. None of the foamwear has attachments yet, so we've been unable to try it all out :(

Here's a small preview with my brother's derpy face. He's also getting really good at throwing playing cards (with such accuracy I'm afraid he's going to slice my corneas).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 429
Normally I'm not a big fan of the armored torso for Gambit, I think with the way he fights, it would just get in the way.

That said, I think your armor piece came out great, the texture makes it look almost leather-like, which I think looks cool.

Thanks everyone! And I agree; I was never a fan of the big chesty armor, myself. But it ended up looking alright, and stuck with the classic Gambit look. SO, after a very short and hurried weekend in Nashville, I've got a few photos to share!

Gambit and Rogue won an Honorable Mention in the costume contest, but were otherwise the Belles of the Ball - they were everyone's favorite X-Men characters and were stopped for photos every 3 seconds. Here's one stolen from Wizard World:

IMG_2933.JPG

And a few lousy cellphone shots:

photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG

I have some others that I need to get off of my camera, and will do so next chance I get. So, until then!

Thanks! Gambit's headpiece is made from a bit of craft foam. I stuck his head in a plastic bag and duct-taped around it to make a form. Then I drew on the design and cut it out for a pattern. It's fixed in the back with Velcro. If we had more time, I would have fixed the neck collar (a ladies XL turtleneck) to the headpiece, but that can wait for Gambit 2.0.

Re: COMPLETED: Budget Build: Gambit and Rogue in Four Weeks.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I think we might expand our group. Add in a Cyclops, Jean, and Wolverine this winter.

Think we competed with you guys at the CWE costume contest this year. Nice job on the costumes man. We were the massive Captain America, Thor, Valkyrie, and Sif.

Yes you did! I tried to hunt you guys down for a photo (I went as Wonder Woman), but we never crossed paths after the contest. We also saw you at St. Louis Comic Con - awesome work, like you jumped straight out of a Golden Age comic. And a great addition with Valkyrie and Sif! Will you be at St. Louis CC in May?

Wouldn't miss it for the world. Not sure if we'll be unveiling new costumes next year though. Still deciding what to be. Ha. My twin brother (Thor) and his girlfriend (Sif) were talking Colosuss and Shadowcat. May match you guys. :) I've started a Commander Rogers, though thinking about starting a Abnett & Lanning (or even 70s classic) Star-Lord. We'll have to keep an eye out for you guys! You guys planning something new next year?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back