Buck Rogers, what could have been...

Many here are aware of James Cawley's attempt to reboot Buck Rogers. For those who are not, here are a couple of the quick test/teasers that were done back in the day.

Interesting work there that I would have liked to have seen further.

Unfortunately, current Hollywood doesn’t know what to do with characters like Buck Rogers….in some ways, I’m glad that they have forgotten he exists, otherwise we would be delivered a deconstructed and twisted product that hardly resembles what was originally created.

That young guy in the sepia-toned video appeared to be wearing lipstick. It distracted me from the rest of what was going on.

As a setting, 1930s America doesn't interest me much. It was the depression and life sucked. That was pretty much the defining trait of the era.

The 1930s can be interesting if the show visits exotic places. Like an Indiana Jones movie.

I agree with Axlotl . 1930's? C'mon.

The sepia tones do not "bring me back to the times". They're downright irritating. Even at my earliest recollection, I perceived colour. The technology with the ships and the time wouldn't have brought in viewers. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century had some success and some of the ships are still popular today but it was a victim of bad story writing, and Disco Buck didn't do the show any favours. Nowadays viewers expect more.

TazMan2000

That young guy in the sepia-toned video appeared to be wearing lipstick. It distracted me from the rest of what was going on.

As a setting, 1930s America doesn't interest me much. It was the depression and life sucked. That was pretty much the defining trait of the era.

The 1930s can be interesting if the show visits exotic places. Like an Indiana Jones movie.
But a Buck Rogers reboot wouldn't be set in the '30s, it would be set in the 25th century just like the original serials and the '80s version. What's being talked about is not setting it in the '30s but making it using a '30 aesthetic sort of resembling the old serials.

Would a 1930s sci-fi aesthetic fly these days? I love it, myself, but would younger audiences?
If there's any more footage, I'd love to see it. Pretty cool they got Erin Grey.
Just film Musk’s Starship in back and white…put a lightning bolt on a speed suit with disk shoulder pads—and have at it,

They know exactly what to do in 2022. You make a bad movie and then call the fans toxic!

This seems like one of those properties that you here keep changing hands and then they get hopes up of a new show, and then it dies.

Use actors from the old color show, similar ships from the old black and whites,

and from there

just go bonkers making something as un-Buck Rogers as possible.

Buck Rogers and the Grapes of Wrath.

Followed by AlienZzzz the snoozicle

Flash Gordon, Exhibitionist from Another Time ...he teams up with Commando Cody

those dern, whiney, un-appreciative fans!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back