Buck Rogers blaster - genuine?

AvZ

I need help determining if this Buck Rogers type blaster is a replica or a production made piece. I have been at it for days now and I'm drawing a blank at the moment. This piece was sold to me as an authentic piece. In the years there have been some amazing replicas.

@Admins: I also posted this in the replica props section, but that forum-part is so active that the post is already on page 2. If the cross-post is not allowed than please delete the thread in the replica section.

The genuine pieces are all over the place in construction (plastic shells, fiberglass etc). I know it is not one of the strobe S1 hero versions or the coneshaped S2 hero version. It shares similarities with one of the to me known replicas. What I know till date:

1) The emitter: not the strobe S1 version and not the coneshape S2 hero version. It is similar though to the straight emitter used in Galactica 1980 "Space Croppers".
2) The grip: the grip is tapered, going from slim at the top to broader at the bottom. None of the genuine pieces I've seen have that.
3) The space where the trigger is located is wider then on genuine pieces I know (so the space between the grip and let's call it the ammo/handguard-part.
4) The replica: there are casting/sculpting flaws that correspond. Thus they share some lineage, what kind I don't know. The replica looks to have a molded trigger (which suggest it might be taken from a genuine piece). I contacted the owner of the replica. Maybe he will reponds. There are more similarities than I marked. What is different on the replica (apart from the obvious molded trigger): the round part at the back which that has groves and a small dome.
5) The parting line at the back: there is a parting line at the back - above the grip but below the
6) It has a battery compartement: that would not be correct for S1 I gather, but the S2 hero that I know of had one.

I don't know the material yet (for got to ask, stupid me...) as I don't yet have it in hand. And I'd might ask the seller to open it up for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

nr019355-22_1.jpg

20160314_232437-1 - looks very silimar2.jpg

IMG20221103142640.jpg

IMG20221103142704.jpg

IMG20221103142753.jpg

IMG20221104121437.jpg

IMG20221104121448.jpg

I have the same gun. Its a resin fan made version. Unfortunately its not very accurate to the real prop. The one I got of ETSY was pretty cool but a bit big in scale

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-113007_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-113007_Gallery.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
That design looks like it was based on the Mego action figure version. The real props were made with fiberglass shells that were glued together. There was a major flaw in the design - there was no room for a trigger. The trigger button had to be offset so that the actors could press the button.

The real props were made with fiberglass shells that were glued together. There was a major flaw in the design - there was no room for a trigger. The trigger button had to be offset so that the actors could press the button.
According to the photos of the firing props, they were literally held together with black electrical tape.

David.

According to the photos of the firing props, they were literally held together with black electrical tape.

David.
It was actually black silicone caulk in at least some cases. You could at one point see this even on the thunder fighter as it was decaying in storage.

Personally I would like to locate one of the rifles. One was used on TNG.

That design looks like it was based on the Mego action figure version. The real props were made with fiberglass shells that were glued together. There was a major flaw in the design - there was no room for a trigger. The trigger button had to be offset so that the actors could press the button.
The season 1 hero's that I've seen were vacuformed and held together with black tape, that one indeed had an offset trigger. The season 2 one that I saw was said to be fiberglass by the seller. That season 2 hero did not have the trigger offset. That was the one that came from the child actor who got it from Gil.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back