Best paints when working with resin?

ProudCitize

Mellow greetings all,

As someone who is completely new to working with resin models I am wondering what the preferences are of the experienced crowd when it comes to primer & paints. Which brand have you had the most success with? My first resin project will be a simple blade that I need to paint a metallic aluminium color (or thereabouts).

The key is surface preparation and primer. Scrub thoroughly with a good degreasing cleaner like simple green. An electric toothbrush works great to get in all the nooks and crannies to remove all of the mold release. Rinse well ( I use 95% isopropyl alcohol as a final rinse so it dries fast but water alone works, too), and allow to air dry thoroughly. Then prime with a name brand automotive primer (I like Plastikote) using a couple of light coats rather than one heavy coat so as not to obscure detail. Another good choice is Krylon Fusion primer. Then paint with any brand/type of paint from rattle can enamels to cheap-ass craft store acrylics and everything in between, depending on your budget, tolerance for fumes, color choices, etc. Remember that while these will all work on the primer, they may not work with each other so try to stick to one major type. When using acrylics, Testor's Dullcote flat lacquer makes a great sealer to preserve the work you have done so far before trying something more. If you don't like it, you can wipe the last layer of acrylic off the Dullcote without damaging the acrylic underneath. It makes a great final sealer for matte surfaces, also. The companion Glosscote makes a great shiny finish, if that is desired.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back