Battlestar Galactica - Remastering A Classic

Jonah, thanks. But really, I contributed models and deep conversation about the nature of the assets, shots, etc... it was Adam and others who got into the shot design and such. Pretty collaborative all around, but it was Mojo's tests and the fact that he knew who to turn to for the work and they jumped in. As for ST:TMP, heh, well... a couple/few of the folks involved worked on that. The G for the test sequence was built by another member here who also figured in on the TMP update. But, ain't naming names. If he wants to jump in, cool!

Unfortunately, I mis-spoke? When I refer to finishing, I mean that, in essence, the fx work that is seen and remembered (and there _are_ more shots that were done, we just saw certain ones recycled and tend to recall those) well, there are talking heads where fx should be, fx where other bits should/could be... it's an odd duck. So by finishing I mean removing the mismatches, creating shots relevant to the script requirement, and finishing in that way. To me, no episode was ever completed. Rushed and signed off on, but not done.

Re: Battlestar Galactica Demo Reel - Remastering A Classic

They can KEEP 1980! :lol

All except "The Return of Starbuck".... that was actually 'Goodbye Starbuck'.

1980 is great for being the Ed Wood of the BSG universe....and just like Season 2 of Buck Rogers on the Searcher.

Like Trooper_trent, I kept waiting to see the remastered effects "jump out" at me. Instead, I just got caught up in the action and nostalgia.

This was how I remember the fun of Battlestar Galactica in my head as a kid.

Loved it. Nicely done.

I know who did what. Don't undervalue your contribution. ;) I've known and liked and admired Mojo since waaaaaaay back in the '90s on the old rec.arts.startrek.tech newsgroup. I know also the collaborative process of deciding what to do and how to do it. I honestly think one o the biggest detriments to the Star Wars Prequels (and, to a lesser degree, Return of the Jedi) was George didn't have Marcia challenging his notions of what worked and what didn't. He prevailed sometimes, and rightly so. She prevailed sometimes, and rightly so. And I think those first two films are the best of the bunch for that reason. He was able to let other people who knew what they were doing have influence in the creative process. So yeah, I don't think the end result would have been what it was if someone else had been in your place. Might also have been good, but it wouldn't have been that. ;) And I knew what I was saying when I brought up TMP. :D *chuckle*

I agree with the rest of what you say, though. I remember even then when a couple random episodes replaced the barrel-flash-explosion laser gun effect with Star Wars style "laser bolts". And I appreciated every space battle effect shot that wasn't one of those familiar re-re-re-recycled shots. *heh*

Still... Everything I know about what was intended and what we got... *sigh* Everyone but the studios seems to know that sci-fi series take more than a season to find their traction. I think ABC's meddling ultimately is what borked BSG. Glen wanted a miniseries, and to this day I tend to skip the episodes that have nothing to do with the main quest/storyline. But that kind of risk wouldn't make it onto prime time until Babylon 5. The least I think that should be done is to redo G'80 with the full surviving cast of BSG and story elements from G'80, The Second Coming, and Richard's BSG novels (and even the SyFy reimagining) and tie that in with the arc-related episodes of BSG. And plan out in advance who the Cylon infiltrators will be. :facepalm

Wishful thinking.

--Jonah

Question:

If the show was originally shot for 4:3 TVs, how exactly is it "remastered" to 1.78:1 for widescreen TVs? I mean, doesn't at least one aspect end up being stretched? Or was the show originally shot for widescreen but cropped or pan-n-scanned for TV or something? Like, is there more image that we've never seen, or is the existing image being zoomed, stretched, or interpolated or something?

Might read as semantics at first, hang with me here.

It wasn't shot for 4:3 presentation, it was shot to _allow_ it to be presented at that ratio, but meant to be framed differently. If I can, I'll look for some stills of it cropped properly.

It _completely_ changes the feel/atmosphere of the show, in a good way. :)

bsg_baltarCrop.jpgbsg_officersCrop.jpgbsg_omegaCrop.jpgbsg_tacticalCrop.jpg

When you watch episodes now, you'll be aware of how much dead space is around the action.... even in fx sequences.

B5 was rocket surgery on a whole other kettle of monkeys.

- - - Updated - - -

All except "The Return of Starbuck".... that was actually 'Goodbye Starbuck'.

1980 is great for being the Ed Wood of the BSG universe....and just like Season 2 of Buck Rogers on the Searcher.

And Season 3 of Trek, and season 2 of Space: 1999 (hm, I wonder what link those two could have...) and... oh, but I do go on...

So some black bars and it is letterboxed. I don't like that you are losing picture even if it wasn't intended to be seen.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back