Batman: Arkham City Batman Replica HELP

Amazing Spidey

Hello,
As the title states, I need help and information on making a screen accurate replica of the Batman: Arkham City batsuit.

Firstly, I'll state my current dilemma. Myself and my many friends are making a fan made batman film. With our GCSE results and our recently acquired A Level skills, we are planning to make a 2 and a half hour maximum film. As of now, we have finished our final script and have just cast the main characters.
All we need now are costumes. Our very generous science teacher, and hardcore DC fan has supplied us with his £1400 screen accurate joker replica costume from The Dark Knight furthermore, he has supplied us with some chemical and instructions to make smoke bombs and provided us with some template for a Arkham City Batarang. These contributions have helped us dramatically but we still need other suits.

Now for a huge request to all the RPF community.
We need huge help making a batman and robin suit. We want to combined elements from both, the Nolan trilogy and the arkham series.

For the batman suit, I want to make it so that it has:
Arkham city cowl
Dark knight rises chest piece but in the colour grey. (To look like Arkham suit)
Dark knight rises leg piece but in the colour grey. (To look like Arkham suit)
'Arkham city' OR 'Batman begins ninja' Gauntlets
Dark Knight Rises Boots
Arkham Cape

For the robin suit, we wanted to make a similar one to the Tim Drake arkham suit but with a slightly bigger cape.

If any of you could help with a kind of 'recipe' to make these iconic suits or if you would be willing to contribute with dye sub printes etc we would greatly appreciate it greatly

Many thanks
Aaron

Hello,
As the title states, I need help and information on making a screen accurate replica of the Batman: Arkham City batsuit.

We need huge help making a batman and robin suit. We want to combined elements from both, the Nolan trilogy and the arkham series.

you sure you know what you want?

also, how much are you willing to spend? want to make yourselves? buy?

i can tell you a complete bat suit of quality, if not dyesub printed spandex will roll for more than 1000bucks.
im not sure what you want to do with dye sub prints, as you said you want a begins torso and legs, those are clearly urethane attached to an undersuit.

We don't wanna spend a lot, we just want to do it as cheap as possible but make it look as realistic an creen accurate as possible.

That'll be tough, you're pulling in two different directions there buddy. Nothing is impossible though. I think the first thing you need is to be concise in what you want your final product to be, then go about piecing it together.

It looks like you are going to be making this instead of buying it. What skills do you have? Can you sew? Sculpt?

It looks like you are going to be making this instead of buying it. What skills do you have? Can you sew? Sculpt?

At GCSE level, I took art and design. We did a lot of work with clay, rubber etc. but nothing like this.

Furthermore, having got in touch with my friends, we've decided to rewrite the script and include Nightwing. Any ideas on his costume?

We don't wanna spend a lot, we just want to do it as cheap as possible but make it look as realistic an creen accurate as possible.

Accuracy comes with a price, but since you are trying to save up, then you might have to go with some alternative routes to get these costumes done:

Dark Knight Chest/Leg pieces are going to come out pretty pricey, but I suppose the alternative is to get a dye sub print (whether it be an existing design or come up with your own design and have it commissioned). You can always wear some sort of chest piece/plate under the spandex (even a muscle suit) to give the outfit more of a armored feel.

With this route, the dye sub print will pretty much cost you about $200. Typical dye sub file is about $40-60, while having the file printed to lycra/spandex is another $120-140. Of course, you'll still need to sew the suit together.

Gauntlets can pretty much be made. That's what i'm doing for my Arkham City costume. You can use EVA foam, camping mat and even craft foam for the build. Make some templates, apply them to the foam. Piece/glue it together, coat it with liquid latex or Plastidip and the gauntlets should come out fairly well.

For boots, the typical suggestion is usually the Gotham 100's (look on ebay or anywhere online). They aren't Dark Knight accurate but it's pretty much a generic batman boot. You can always apply the gauntlet concept to make boot armor and give them a more armored feel.

Arkham cowl is easy to come up on but know that the cowl can run you anywhere from $200+ (depending if it's used or new). If you get it new, I can suggest going with Reevz for that (I have his cowl and it's amazing).

As for a cape, depends what you're trying to do. Do you want the leather look, do you want the cloth look. Will it open, or will it just be hanging the whole time. There's different routes you can take with the cape. If you search the forum, there's instructionals on how to make a cape with panels (which I suggest you do). You can go with pleather material for the build. 6-8 yards should be good.

Now it's just a matter of taking these concepts and applying them to both Robin & Nightwing. Figure out what materials are easy to obtain and know what you can and can't do, then go ahead with designing/modifying the costumes.

Good luck!:thumbsup

Accuracy comes with a price, but since you are trying to save up, then you might have to go with some alternative routes to get these costumes done:

Dark Knight Chest/Leg pieces are going to come out pretty pricey, but I suppose the alternative is to get a dye sub print (whether it be an existing design or come up with your own design and have it commissioned). You can always wear some sort of chest piece/plate under the spandex (even a muscle suit) to give the outfit more of a armored feel.

With this route, the dye sub print will pretty much cost you about $200. Typical dye sub file is about $40-60, while having the file printed to lycra/spandex is another $120-140. Of course, you'll still need to sew the suit together.

Gauntlets can pretty much be made. That's what i'm doing for my Arkham City costume. You can use EVA foam, camping mat and even craft foam for the build. Make some templates, apply them to the foam. Piece/glue it together, coat it with liquid latex or Plastidip and the gauntlets should come out fairly well.

For boots, the typical suggestion is usually the Gotham 100's (look on ebay or anywhere online). They aren't Dark Knight accurate but it's pretty much a generic batman boot. You can always apply the gauntlet concept to make boot armor and give them a more armored feel.

Arkham cowl is easy to come up on but know that the cowl can run you anywhere from $200+ (depending if it's used or new). If you get it new, I can suggest going with Reevz for that (I have his cowl and it's amazing).

As for a cape, depends what you're trying to do. Do you want the leather look, do you want the cloth look. Will it open, or will it just be hanging the whole time. There's different routes you can take with the cape. If you search the forum, there's instructionals on how to make a cape with panels (which I suggest you do). You can go with pleather material for the build. 6-8 yards should be good.

Now it's just a matter of taking these concepts and applying them to both Robin & Nightwing. Figure out what materials are easy to obtain and know what you can and can't do, then go ahead with designing/modifying the costumes.

Good luck!:thumbsup

Thanks for the help, it's definitely gave me a lot to think about. Also, if you are using a tutorial for the gauntlets, could you send me a link please? I've tried with bits of scrap metal for templates but to no avail :(

I had to look up GCSE, we don't have have that over here.

Okay, well for Nightwing, dyesub with some foam armor bits would do nicely.

I think it's worth noting what I call the great triangle of prop building. You have low cost, high quality, and easy. You can only pick two of those for any project.

What is your budget per character?

I had to look up GCSE, we don't have have that over here.

Okay, well for Nightwing, dyesub with some foam armor bits would do nicely.

I think it's worth noting what I call the great triangle of prop building. You have low cost, high quality, and easy. You can only pick two of those for any project.

What is your budget per character?

Like I said above, I don't really have a budget. I wanna do it as cheaply as possible. There is a kind of problem as well. Because all my friends are in higher education an none of have a job, funding is pretty low at the moment. So as a massive shout out, if anyone is kind enough to donate to our cause, please send donations to this PayPal email : iazzzaaaaxd@hotmail.co.uk
Also, if anyone has a way around this issue your help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Thanks for the help, it's definitely gave me a lot to think about. Also, if you are using a tutorial for the gauntlets, could you send me a link please? I've tried with bits of scrap metal for templates but to no avail :(

There is one tutorial that I found through another forum (BOFTB) and it points to this link.
http://tx6275.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/taking-your-forearms-from-zero-to-hero-in-9-steps-and-9-hours/

BUT this is just an example, and the template may not be scaled correctly to your actor's size. It's simple, and can get the job done. You can give it a try. I'm going about mine a different way but the same concepts apply. I'll have a thread up with my finished Arkham suit soon, so you can see what I did.

Like I said above, I don't really have a budget. I wanna do it as cheaply as possible. There is a kind of problem as well. Because all my friends are in higher education an none of have a job, funding is pretty low at the moment. So as a massive shout out, if anyone is kind enough to donate to our cause, please send donations to this PayPal email : iazzzaaaaxd@hotmail.co.uk
Also, if anyone has a way around this issue your help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Usually asking for donations like this is not the best way to approach it. I suggest you look into starting a kickstarter page. Its basically a website that allows you to post a project you are working on, and based on what your goals are, people can choose to donate to your project if they feel it has potential. In turn, you provide those people who donate some sort of incentive as a thank you. I suggest you look into this, as it's the best way to get a project off the ground.

Be very careful about blatantly just asking for money, we all want to be helpful but this isn't a place for crowd sourcing.

I think if you expect to succeed with this project, you need to rein in your expectations in regards to what's going to be given to you. If you don't get any donations, and can't find any tutorials to tell you what to do, what will you do then?

In the words of Nick Fury, what are you prepared to do? What materials do you have? We need info to help you.

Furthermore, out of curiosity, do you have the equipment and facilities to produce a two and a half hour batman film? Camera, lights, sets, sound equipment, vfx know how and software, editing setup, ect?

I would just ignore that comment below. You'd be surprised what some of us are willing to donate to.:lol

Anyway, good luck on your film. I look forward to seeing what you produce!

Be very careful about blatantly just asking for money, we all want to be helpful but this isn't a place for crowd sourcing.

I think if you expect to succeed with this project, you need to rein in your expectations in regards to what's going to be given to you. If you don't get any donations, and can't find any tutorials to tell you what to do, what will you do then?

In the words of Nick Fury, what are you prepared to do? What materials do you have? We need info to help you.

budget is something you should always consider when writing a fan film. do not write in any scenes you cannot afford (such as a tumbler car chase) or too many characters who will require expensive costumes (you have three heroes at minimum, as well as many villains i am assuming). I know this sounds like common sense, but i have seen just too many people get a little too ambitious and fail miserably or quit because they underestimated the cost and difficulty of such scenes/movies. of course, i have also seen a fair amount of aspiring film makers make some pretty impressive fan films, but that was because they jumped into the project with everything pretty much figured out.

also, im not entirely sure you're gonna be able to get high end costumes without spending a lot of money. you could possibly make a test film to give people an idea of what your fan film would be like (and to get them hyped and interested) and THEN start a kickstarter. that way people would be more willing to donate money to your project, and you would have some extra dough to put into costumes.

an alternative would be to invest money in a high end costume for the test film, and then hope that it will catch the attention of some people. the money from the kickstarter would then pay off costs of the costume.

one last thing. do NOT expect to make any money (the money from the kickstarter will be eaten up by the film real quick), because you will most likely not. you are doing it out of your love for the characters/series/comic/etc., and a lot of expenses will have to come out of your pockets and they will never make it back to you. fan films are not cheap! develop your script a little more so you can cut the more expensive scenes or characters out and work on your test film so people will watch your hard work!

Hope this helped!

-Jason

Since I am making a Spider Man suit, i was very tempted to do a Spider Man fan film. Problem is, movies cost money. Only do what you CAN do and what you have the money to do. When you write your script, base it around what you have the money and skill to do. That way, you should be able to save money and get everything done correctly.
Good luck!

Furthermore, out of curiosity, do you have the equipment and facilities to produce a two and a half hour batman film? Camera, lights, sets, sound equipment, vfx know how and software, editing setup, ect?

My older cousin works for a studio in London that makes films. The studio isn't a hot shot big time one but the owner (who's a huge DC fan) has agreed to let us use it for free on the condition that we cast his son (which we agreed to). This studio has all the equipment we need as well as the software that's needed too. Furthermore, our group is taking a trip to New York and San Fransisco in the summer to look for shooting locations etc.

budget is something you should always consider when writing a fan film. do not write in any scenes you cannot afford (such as a tumbler car chase) or too many characters who will require expensive costumes (you have three heroes at minimum, as well as many villains i am assuming). I know this sounds like common sense, but i have seen just too many people get a little too ambitious and fail miserably or quit because they underestimated the cost and difficulty of such scenes/movies. of course, i have also seen a fair amount of aspiring film makers make some pretty impressive fan films, but that was because they jumped into the project with everything pretty much figured out.

also, im not entirely sure you're gonna be able to get high end costumes without spending a lot of money. you could possibly make a test film to give people an idea of what your fan film would be like (and to get them hyped and interested) and THEN start a kickstarter. that way people would be more willing to donate money to your project, and you would have some extra dough to put into costumes.

an alternative would be to invest money in a high end costume for the test film, and then hope that it will catch the attention of some people. the money from the kickstarter would then pay off costs of the costume.

one last thing. do NOT expect to make any money (the money from the kickstarter will be eaten up by the film real quick), because you will most likely not. you are doing it out of your love for the characters/series/comic/etc., and a lot of expenses will have to come out of your pockets and they will never make it back to you. fan films are not cheap! develop your script a little more so you can cut the more expensive scenes or characters out and work on your test film so people will watch your hard work!

Hope this helped!

-Jason

Our technical genius is great at 3d modelling on computer program's an making an animation. His dad, who's teached him everything he knows has designed us a very good batmobile and batwing on various programs. He is also doing a 7 minute animation of a chase between batman and our villain.

Having re-read my earlier comment, I see what you mean. It does kind of sound like I'm begging but in actual fact I was merely asking to see if you would contribute (YOU ARE NOT OBLIGED TO DO SO)
Sorry about that

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back