BANDAI Gets Star Wars Licence

....pure optimism......with the new Ep7 & The Falcon being in it.....i'd say they are holding off a Falcon kit till closer to the release of the movie,....& the ships included in it....that probably why they're releasing Original Trilogy X wings & TIES now

I'm just hoping that the Ep7 Falcon is based more on the 5 ft model than the 32",....that way we'll have an alternative to the FM kits

J

About a Falcon release, that's exactly what I also think.

As for the model, I am hoping they don't based it on a 3D model looking like the one used in EP3... as we will then get a Revell-like kit...

As for the model, I am hoping they don't based it on a 3D model looking like the one used in EP3... as we will then get a Revell-like kit...

Why do you think so? The Revell kits are obviously not taken from the original 3D-models but are developed from scratch (otherwise they would not be this inaccurate).

A new Falcon kit will most likely be based on how it looks in Ep7, whatever that may be. I'd prefer the original 5 footer myself, 1/48 would be awesome.

Well, I don't know of the Revell is scratch based or 3D based.
My hope is that the future Bandai Falcon will not look like the Revell one or like the EP3 Stellar Envoy, so with an accurate side panels height
After that, if details are based on the 5' or the 32", this is a ... detail ;)

Why do you think so? The Revell kits are obviously not taken from the original 3D-models but are developed from scratch (otherwise they would not be this inaccurate).
From what I've read (so take it for what it's worth) Lucasfilm provided the reference materials for Revell to create their Star Wars kits from. The problem is that it was the same reference materials they sent to MPC and AMT back in the 70s and 80s and they weren't/aren't accurate to the filming models because they were created for the model builders to use as a guide only; i.e., "The Millennium Falcon should look something like this..." and didn't include every little detail part from the various model kits the model builders used to create the Falcon, the Imperial Star Destroyer, and so on. And Revell, like MPC/AMT, were contractually obligated to not make any changes, modifications, improvements, or accurizations to the kits they were producing, which explains why the Revell and MPC/AMT kits contain many of the same inaccuracies.

The model kits that Fine Molds produced were more accurate because they were allowed to inspect the actual filming models to obtain their own reference information. You'll notice I used the phrase "more accurate"--this is because the people from Fine Molds were allowed only a certain amount of time to inspect each model. Clearly the allotted time was insufficient; they did the best they could, but some inaccuracies (like the lack of "toe in" on the mandibles on their Millennium Falcon, for example) still exist.

Last edited:
From what I've read (so take it for what it's worth) Lucasfilm provided the reference materials for Revell to create their Star Wars kits from. The problem is that it was the same reference materials they sent to MPC and AMT back in the 70s and 80s and they weren't/aren't accurate to the filming models...

I believe they received blue prints/reference material like this from Lucasfilms which is why we ended up with thick sidewalls.

millennium-falcon-4.gif

millennium-falcon-4.gif

I can't believe that they even got any reference material from official sources, at least not for the prequel kits. The Eta 2 Actis kits have some weird detail issues which could never happen with at least one picture of the original 3D-model. That being said, I like the value I get from their kits when they are reduced. Can't beat the easy kit pockets for 5€, as well as the larger ones for 10-15€...

Another question: is the Bandai licence only for the US, or will they also soll the kits in Europe?

Thorsten

From what I've read (so take it for what it's worth) Lucasfilm provided the reference materials for Revell to create their Star Wars kits from. The problem is that it was the same reference materials they sent to MPC and AMT back in the 70s and 80s and they weren't/aren't accurate to the filming models because they were created for the model builders to use as a guide only; i.e., "The Millennium Falcon should look something like this..." and didn't include every little detail part from the various model kits the model builders used to create the Falcon, the Imperial Star Destroyer, and so on. And Revell, like MPC/AMT, were contractually obligated to not make any changes, modifications, improvements, or accurizations to the kits they were producing, which explains why the Revell and MPC/AMT kits contain many of the same inaccuracies.

Look at these beautiful shots of the Revell Millennium Falcon Kit.....note the extra thick side-walls,.....simplistic computer designed details borrowed exactly from the 1980 MPC kit.

code3-falcon-front_zps29d9b5f3.jpg

code3-falcon-right1_zpsca340fa1.jpg

....observe the R2-D2 greeblies,.....even the slot for the switch to turn on the engine lights from the very first issue of the MPC kit

code3-falcon-back1_zpse4cc8bd9.jpg

code3-falcon-angle1_zpsb112e402.jpg

code3-falcon-cockpit2_zpsbc70d1ef.jpg

code3-falcon-back2_zps5e657a7e.jpg

code3-falcon-btm4_zps5db0b863.jpg

.....the only thing is......

....these images are not the Revell Millennium Falcon (released in 2006)

....these images are from the Die cast Code 3 Millennium Falcon (released in 2003)

My guess is that Code 3 from California took measurements & greeblie placement from the MPC kit,....had their run with the Die cast 'replica',.....then sold their moulds on to Revell

More images of The Code 3 ship:
Rebelscum.com: Photo Archive

Some images of the Revell Kit:
New Revell Millenium Falcon (Kit Pic's) - Science Fiction - Modeling Subjects - Finescale Modeler Community

J

Ha,.....well looking at how soft the details are on those versions (Revell & Code 3),.....and how sharp the new Hasbro 2ft 'hang from the ceiling' toy looks I cant wait to see what Bandai turn out

J

Look at these beautiful shots of the Revell Millennium Falcon Kit...note the extra thick side-walls...
I read something years ago that stated (unverified, of course) that the sidewall height on the MPC Millennium Falcon was exaggerated because MPC was trying to finalize a deal to use the same molds for a battery-operated toy, and they needed the extra space to accommodate the battery box. I have no idea if it was true, but it does seem to be a reasonable explanation.

^^^
That would also explain the hatch between the two aft landing gear hatches. I always assumed that was meant to be a battery access door.

--Alex

You are correct. I have the kit as well. It did take C batteries for lighting the grain of wheat bulbs (far too few to light everything).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back