Bad builds & worse fixes - Judge Dredd Lawgiver

re: Bad builds & worse fixes - Judge Dredd Lawgiver

Progress of the day.

A couple of accidental chips, but those can be taken care of in the filling stage. This is becoming an obsession now. I refuse to give up and concede defeat.

On the 'bright' side, I must say that were it not for the stripper flaking the surface, it would have been much harder to level off the concaves & convexes of the surface. The flaking kinda made it squish out all even, ready to sand :lol

lgfx1-809x1042.jpg

fvlgf1.jpg

lgfbfv1.jpg

Last edited:

Looks like a lot of work but excellent progress as well. It should look pretty good when all is said and done.

Great work there (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

That looks tedious , I really respect what you are doing here. Very nice work, please keep us posted on this .

I've already spent about 15 hours over the past 2.5 days on this, just to get to this point.

But I think I'll have my cake and eat it too - although subsequently discarded as an option, I'm going to also go with CommonGround's suggestion & have the Cursed Earth option too.

The front side I will try & restore as best as I can, together with the sides and bottom. And the back part will be the side that was left exposed to the Cursed Earth conditions ... since it was discovered half buried with that side exposed :love

Hey, trying to make lemonade out of lemons here :lol

I wouldn't mind having one that bad actually for my costuming as my character is notoriously rough on weapons lol. Too bad there isn't in an area in the JY for stuff like that when nobody wants them. Keep up the good work, you're making good progress compared to where it was.

that's an impressive restoration. think about how proud of that thing you'll be when it actually looks GOOD!

That's quite an impressive job fixing it! Definitely keep us updated. :thumbsup

Do you buy the plaster based resin to fill it with, or is that something you mix up yourself?

This is looking great, and if you don't mind a suggestion, I'd offer that you should sand off the resin screws while you're at it and put new, metal hardware in later. The detail will be much crisper than you can ever sand those resin bits, and it will make the underlaying layer easier to get nice and smooth as well.

Thanks fellows. I will keep the updates coming.

I buy it from an art shop. I can't remember exactly what its called, but when I get down to the filling, I'll have to look for the box, & I'll let you know.

It's great stuff to work with. It's super hard when dry, but also very very very smooth to work with, and the finish is perfect. Only problem is that it dries VERY quickly (hardens within 2 minutes), so I have to mix very little quantities at a time. And if I put in more water to make it dry slower, it will dry and turn to dust.

Time will be an issue due to the small crevices the stuff has to be shoved in to and the precision it will take.

Hope to reach the filling stage sometime next week.

For now ...... sanding :sick

Thanks for the tip Volpin, I'll keep it in mind. Don't know if I'll do it though, as I'm just messing around with this one for the sake of not throwing it away :lol

Today's progress, and the end of this weeks'.

First layer of filler done. Next week, more sanding, then second fine-tuning layer ... and sanding again :sick :sick :sick :sick

GunsAndGloryFX - for the filler, I am using Gedeo Resin Plaster. It's French I think.

lga1610-775x543.jpg

lgb1610.jpg

lgc1610.jpg

lgd1610.jpg

Last edited:

OK, couldn't resist to wait till next week & did a small part. I was too curious to see the more or less result ... and if it would be all worth it after all. Now that's it till next week :lol

lgfe1610-596x782.jpg

Last edited:

That's incredible! I would have given up on it all together!

Makes me want to try something with the bar of soap I got from ebay some time ago.

After hail the size of small golf balls ruined our plans for yesterday morning ...

lgp11710-599x398.jpg

..... I spent some time cleaning up the first layer of filling in some parts.

Here are some before and after pics.

LGB5.jpg

lgpa1710.jpg

lgpb1710.jpg

LGB2.jpg

lgpc1710.jpg

LGB3.jpg

lgpd1710.jpg

Last edited:

When I first saw those photo's I thought to myself, what a shame, won't be able to save that one. All I'll say now is WAY TO PROVE ME WRONG! Well done man, looking awesome. I really like the way you saved the engraving on the 'slide' very nice.

MJ

WOW This has really come a long way. I have a hero one I got a while back that needs this treatment. The painting just looks so tacky, and they didn't even bother to fill in some of the holes, nor sand well...

I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Awesome work!!!

Thanks guys :)

Well, 98% of the restoration is now FINISHED, after approximately 25 man-hours :cry

The last 'serious' part I had to do was the tip of the sight, which was shattered to smitherenes when it arrived.

A shown previously, first it had to be totally cast

lgc1610.jpg

Then it had to be shaped

lgfa1810-549x600.jpg

That done, I finished sanding it all over, and this is the result

lgfb1810.jpg

lgfc1810.jpg

lgfd1810.jpg

lgfe1810.jpg

It looks better when compared overall with a 'before' and 'after' :lol

lgf1e1810-831x552.jpg

lgff1810-829x556.jpg

Next step, I may (or not) revisit some parts to fine-tune. I really don't want to waste too much time at this point.

Then its painting time. And that would be it :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back