AxiomUltra's Mass Effect Project

Re: AU - Mass Effect II N7 Armor

Quite possibly the best I've seen.

I'm UK based and I found these -

Best-Step Anti-Fatigue Foam Flooring: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

- on amazon but haven't tried anything like this before. Is that the kind of foam that is used for the N7 armour? If it is, is that really the cheapest you can get it here, is it a similar price everywhere?
Thanks!
Those are the ones, yes. I buy mine locally unless I need a particular color.

It's like 107 in Atlanta today, I can't believe you have motivation to do anything. It's so humid where I'm at. All I want to do is sit in front of a fan.

It's like 107 in Atlanta today, I can't believe you have motivation to do anything. It's so humid where I'm at. All I want to do is sit in front of a fan.

LOL yea it's pretty rough outside today. I'm having flashbacks from when I was stationed in Okinawa. Just missing the giant snails and tiny cars..

Hey it's like 3 degrees Celsius here in Melbourne today. I don't even want to get out of bed let alone work in the freezing garage

What paint scheme you going for Axiom? Side Stripe color? Double middle stripes trailing off the chest?

I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably just end up trying to replicate the red/white stripes down the arm since this is the first time I've built anything like this. I'm going to use Acrylic paint for those, and the stripe on the helmet as well. I just need to build up enough motivation to go into town and get the rest of the supplies now.:)

I finished the N7 emblems. It took a couple tries to get a bubble-free finish but it all ended up working out. I attached one to the chest and two smaller emblems to the helmet sides. (barely visible in pic, sorry)

I also did a quick test run for the visor which actually turned out much better than I expected! I first modeled the visor base in 3D and extruded the sides so that I would have a pattern to cut some styrene support guides from. I cut the main outline of the visor first on a scrap of foam, then mounted the guides to hold it's shape. I then used the foam "buck" to heat form a piece of plexiglas (outside in 106 degrees with a respirator) :lol

Fun times

Woohoo! My foam mats have arrived. I may have over estimated how much I needed. At least I'll be able to use one of the mats y'know.. as an actual mat.

Your pepakura files, I'm guessing they're still scaled to your height, how tall are you? If you wouldnt mind saying.

Thanks all!

Epic armor. Did you double layer on the chest and back piece? Also how did you connect them?

I tried not to stack the foam in layers as much as possible. If needed I usually used thinner foam sheets or offset the parts when gluing. Most parts are just glued together. Areas which take more tension have a stronger epoxy reinforcing them. And a few parts are attached with your standard parachute clips.

New update..

So here is where we're at with this. Please forgive the battle rifle, I needed to see how mobile I was while holding a weapon! In the meantime I have a very nice Mattock kit on the way (thanks Zander).

Currently I am still looking for a good cheap pair of boots to sacrifice for this project. Other than that the costume is finished build-wise. I was able to go back and build the elbows and hand plates. The initial painting is done. Weathering will be next. Then the lights. I have some very nice LED strips which I need to plan to install so that should be fun. Oh, and I forgot to mention the visor - it was cut out of plexiglas and heat formed by hand over a foam buck. Then tinted with VHT niteshades.

n7_armor_test_fit_v_by_hsholderiii-d56l6n9.jpg

*Higher res image attached*

Last edited:

Thanks all!

I tried not to stack the foam in layers as much as possible. If needed I usually used thinner foam sheets or offset the parts when gluing. Most parts are just glued together. Areas which take more tension have a stronger epoxy reinforcing them. And a few parts are attached with your standard parachute clips.

New update..
So here is where we're at with this. Forgive the battle rifle, I needed to see how mobile I was while holding a weapon. In the meantime I have a very nice Mattock kit on the way. Currently I am still looking for a good cheap pair of boots to sacrifice for this project. Other than that the costume is finished build-wise. I was able to go back and build the elbows and hand plates. The initial painting is done. Weathering will be next. Then the lights. I have some very nice LED strips which I need to plan to install so that should be fun. Oh, and I forgot to mention the visor - it was cut out of plexiglas and heat formed by hand over a foam buck. Then tinted with VHT niteshades.

thanks. for that part just below the breastplate section, where its connected to a secondary piece, is the a cut groove on a slanted cut? id point out what i mean but its kinda hard with words

thanks. for that part just below the breastplate section, where its connected to a secondary piece, is the a cut groove on a slanted cut? id point out what i mean but its kinda hard with words

Oh I see what you're asking. For the upper chest/front the pectoral area and the lower rib areas are actually connected with a third strip of foam with a beveled edge (30 degrees) For the entire suit I was able to cut using 15, 30, and 45 degree bevels along the foam edges.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup

Re: AU - Mass Effect II N7 Armor (UPDATE with New Pics! 98% complete!)

this looks awesome! hope my N7 build comes out this good

Thanks :) If you ever need any help or have questions feel free to ask. I'm not as detailed on these build threads as a lot of other people and I apologize, but I'm quite new to building props/costumes so my methods probably aren't the best.

As I wrote on Facebook thats very cool!

For Ashley armor I think you need to use this method.

Thanks! Yeah I've studied EvilFX's blog quite a bit and I'm still not sure I want to resort to heating anything in my oven yet. I have two other plans for that part I'm going to try first and if they don't work out then this will have to do.

Wow the suit has turned out great! Just amazing

Thanks! Glad you were able to build the helmet, that was probably the most tedious part of the build for me :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back