Re: Avatar Sequels

A few years ago I would have said, "An earth human playing "Dances with Wolves" with a bunch of 9ft-tall blue thundercats on a rainforest world? Doesn't seem like Cameron's style."

Ramp up the marketing this time around.

I want to see a plastic1/35 scale SA-2 Samson model kit.

Aliens
Terminator
T-2
The Abyss
Titanic
True Lies

... why Avatar? It's his most uninspiringly derivative film.... only distinguished by effects.

why?

James Cameron ... are you so invested in CGI that you don't want to work with actors and practical effects anymore? It's exhaustingly labor-intensive and emotionally/physically/psychologically taxing, I know, but your earlier films were vibrant with creative energy. I miss that so much. Folks, we may be witnessing another tragic case of Lucas Syndrome.

Avatar was a remake of Dances with Wolves

Avatar 2 will be a remake of Waterworld

Avatar 3 will be a remake of The Postman

...you read it here first! :D

Aliens
Terminator
T-2
The Abyss
Titanic
True Lies

... why Avatar? It's his most uninspiringly derivative film.... only distinguished by effects.

why?

James Cameron ... are you so invested in CGI that you don't want to work with actors and practical effects anymore? It's exhaustingly labor-intensive and emotionally/physically/psychologically taxing, I know, but your earlier films were vibrant with creative energy. I miss that so much. Folks, we may be witnessing another tragic case of Lucas Syndrome.

Watch the BTS stuff ;)

Avatar was a remake of Dances with Wolves

Avatar 2 will be a remake of Waterworld

Avatar 3 will be a remake of The Postman

...you read it here first! :D

What about Avatar 4? :p

Lucas was showing signs of the syndrome by the early 1980s. Cameron got pretty far in his career still giving a crap about quality.

Maybe you can give me a hint because it's one of the few Cameron films I have no desire to own.

Cameron is definitely not "just" into the tech side of things. He's just as much into the story and acting. From what I have seen I would say he's did a lot to get the actors to really shine. You could always buy the film for the BTS stuff, keep that and give the actual film to someone you like/dislike ;)
I thought the BTS was really well made and very interesting.

Cameron is definitely not "just" into the tech side of things. He's just as much into the story and acting. From what I have seen I would say he's did a lot to get the actors to really shine. You could always buy the film for the BTS stuff, keep that and give the actual film to someone you like/dislike ;)
I thought the BTS was really well made and very interesting.
That's historically true regarding all his films. In that regard Cameron is characteristically exceptionally meticulous.
It's just that, for me, Avatar was the first film of his where it wasn't as apparent in the final product.

I've always had a hard time putting my finger on exactly what was wrong with Avatar. Something was definitely off, but what? I agree it's one of the only Cameron movies that I don't have any desire to own. But what quality of Avatar did that?

Terminator had a plotline that was pretty simple. An angel comes down from the future to put ***** in Mary's womb and protect her from King Herod's assassin.

Titanic's plot was so predictable that people joked about it at the time, and I don't just mean the ship sinks.

But it doesn't seem to take away from those two movies at all. Meanwhile Avatar's canned storyline goes over like a lead balloon for some reason while the other stuff didn't.

That's historically true regarding all his films. In that regard Cameron is characteristically exceptionally meticulous.
It's just that, for me, Avatar was the first film of his where it wasn't as apparent in the final product.

Might just be because of the characters are computer generated and that does put off some people...
I loved the movie though :)

As for the sequels, those should have better stories now that he has help.

Very nice concept art :)

Still waiting for someone to do this prop though:
unobtainium-avatar_9189.jpg
;)

If you didn't like avatar it's because you're too old or too stupid.

If you're old it's because you've seen enough movies to know avatar is stupid.

If you're not old enough, you're too stupid to know why what I just said makes sense.

im looking more forward a sequel of avatar than that cameron would make another film like titanic.

titanic was just, awfull. nothin more, nothing less, just awfull.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back