Apollo II Module "Window" COMPLETE POST 13!!

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My Dad is obsessed with the Space Program. Someone on here was selling a replica of the window from the Apollo II capsule with a picture of the Earthrise. It was an incredible piece, but I just couldn't afford it.

So, like so many of my projects I thought, "Could I make something similar on a budget?" (Long story, but seeing props I couldn't afford at conventions in the 80's is why I started building).

Mine will not be as accurate as the very beautiful all original material version I saw on here, but I think it will be special to my Father even if it isn't perfect. I am using mixed media. Some of it will be 3D printed, hand cut aluminum, foam, acrylic, and whatever else I can make work.

Instead of using a photo I plan to paint the scene like I did with my TARDIS Scanner Screen and my Enterprise Viewscreen.

So here is where I'm at so far. Take a look and let me know what you think! More updates soon!!

The replica that inspired me...
Apollo hatch template.JPG

The 3D printed window ring...
IMG_E4949.JPG

The aluminum base...
IMG_E4948.JPG

The part laid together (Note, the camera distortion make the window ring look too big, it's scaled properly)...
IMG_E4947.JPG

Looks good. This window is from the "Unified" or "Block 2" hatch for the Apollo Command Module (Apollo CM)
It was referred to as "Block 2 (or II)" because it was the revamped / modified version of the Apollo CM, after the Apollo 1 fire.
However, most people do not know the command module was changed, so it is most commonly just referred to as the Apollo CM main hatch.

Small update. The main ring is puttied and painted with a base coat. It's not perfect, but the seams are pretty well hidden. Take a look and let me know what you think.

IMG_4963.JPG

Another update. The base and the ring have the base coat and are attached. Next I need to paint the text on the main ring. Take a look and let me know what you think.

IMG_E4969.JPG

Just catching this for the first time, what a lovely idea and your execution is great. I'm interested to see how you finish it all up!

mrwax , Thank you! I've started on a painting of the very famous picture "Earthrise". That's actually much easier than making the window. Hopefully I'll have the final pictures in a few days.

Looks cool. I wonder if having a piece of glass or acrylic in the frame would help sell it? It's not 100% necessary though, you've done a good job.

ZeroSum Thank you for the comment! There actually is a sheet of acrylic over it. I used the camera angle to eliminate glare so the painting was easy to see, so it doesn't look like there is acrylic but there is.

Thank you to everyone for likes and comments! I really appreciate it!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back