Anyone making a Zathura game?

And ultimately, I have no idea what to create out of this. It could be 3D printed, but then it needs to be painted as well. Maybe applying the artwork as water slide decals and painting in the stars by hand? Maybe 3D-printing or plotting airbrush stencils for some of it? Some metallic paint over that for the worn look? Vacuum forming might be an option as well (especially seeing videos of machines of forming plastic that already has artwork printed on it). Anyway, this was just a test to get it out of my system, so currently I have no idea if this leads anywhere.
I think they made artwork on the gameboard in several steps. 1) Painting out dark blue background, purple console and red asteroid. 2) Painting shooting star, small stars and paths (they used stencils for that, I think). 3) Making transparent stickers for the rest (more complex) parts of the artwork and sticking them to the board. 4) And then weathering was added.

I made such a conclusion based on what I saw on closeups of the board in the movie. You can clearly see edges of the stickers.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 237
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Wow, nice catch. Yes, those definitely look like stickers or water-slide decals. The robot in the first image looks like it's not even a transparent sticker, just one with a matching blue background. Recreating these stickers will be difficult though, since you would need a white ink printer, which are rather expensive.

Last edited:
I'm trying.
Next month, barring unforeseen circumstances I will order the new 3D printer.
And fortunately i can print white and metallic decals with old thermal transfer plotter

Oh, this is going to be amazing! I had been toying around with attempting to 3D print a board for a while now, but I'm so happy to see someone finally doing it! This looks great so far. If you ever decide to sell these in the future, I will gladly be the first in line to purchase one

I wanted the spaceship

Finally back on here after like a year! I finally have the motivation to work on props again. Legend642, AMAZING job on your printed board. It looks fantastic and is the closest I've ever seen anyone get to replicating the board. Speaking of, would you ever sell your print files for the board? I've been toying with the idea of printing one but haven't modeled it. I also know some people who can write code and I've been planning to make an actual mechanical board. I'm excited to finally get back into doing this stuff. The Zathura board is still my favorite prop of all time, and I'm so happy to see it get love.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back