Anovos not giving refunds only store credit

I've had a bad case with anovos too I am still waiting for a refund. I purchased a star trek costume item and sent it back as it didn't fit they assured me via email I would get a full refund or at least store credit this was way back in july and I am still awaiting a refund I have sent numerous emails and tickets opened and even spoke to live chat employees but still nothing. I also have pre ordered the beyond tunic which cost around $200 and I am worried for whether I will ever see that.

Try emailing joe@anovos.com

I've had a bad case with anovos too I am still waiting for a refund. I purchased a star trek costume item and sent it back as it didn't fit they assured me via email I would get a full refund or at least store credit this was way back in july and I am still awaiting a refund I have sent numerous emails and tickets opened and even spoke to live chat employees but still nothing. I also have pre ordered the beyond tunic which cost around $200 and I am worried for whether I will ever see that.

Have you tried posting on their facebook account?

Yes i tried this a while ago didn't work i finally had a breakthrough yesterday on the online chat and they are sending me a bigger size in what i ordered i mean its not the refund i wanted but im just glad to get somewhere after all this time. Hopefully the preorder of the beyond tunic will all go smoothly expected to be delivered this month apparently so fingers crossed.

Crazy. Not sure why people buy from them when there are alot of builders with better things for less money.
It shouldnt take a two years or more to pour some resin in a mold and cast a bunch of copy's and paint them and send them out to the people that buy from avanos.
If you cant keep up with orders you should put a cap on them insted of tatking more peoples money.

Yep. Two Years and about 5 months from order date.

I feel sorry for the people who cancelled recently. this is one time i'm glad i stuck it out.

My last Pre order from anovos.

I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope on the TNG Phasers for a few years yet then.

Hopefully the preorder of the beyond tunic will all go smoothly expected to be delivered this month apparently so fingers crossed.
Did Anovos tell you this themselves? I'm wondering since the Q4 status means any time from now until the end of the year. (I'm waiting on the tunic, a dress and the jacket.)

Crazy. Not sure why people buy from them when there are alot of builders with better things for less money.
It shouldnt take a two years or more to pour some resin in a mold and cast a bunch of copy's and paint them and send them out to the people that buy from avanos.
If you cant keep up with orders you should put a cap on them insted of tatking more peoples money.
It's quite a bit more complicated bringing a licensed item to market. Two years is actually a pretty short time in bringing a commercial product out, if we're talking from start to finish. (A new car model platform can take a decade, for example) Most companies don't announce as early as Anovos though, so most likely they need the pre-order money to make sure they can do a project due to being a small operation. (I can't really blame them for it either. If they ended up with a couple hundred Vader suits too many without having coverage for most of them, it could be a huge problem.) You also have to take into account that making commercial, accurate and high-grade costume replicas is such a small niche area that there are very few "standard practices" in place when it comes to manufacturing. With several rounds of prototyping needed, then approval from license holders, then translation into an assembly-line... it takes time. Even finding a trustworthy place to make them can be hard; a lot of places are not interested in doing runs of goods unless the volume is in the thousands. If it were as simple as just "pouring some resin", there would be more companies doing it.

As for "better things"... Anovos' soft-goods (uniforms) are generally very well put together- way beyond amateur hobbyists. (I know enough about sewing to have made business suits for myself in the past, but I doubt I could match their Monster Maroon in manufacture quality for example.) The fabrics they use have been high quality as well. What little I've seen of their hardware (I only have the TFA Stormtrooper and their Trek emblems) has been good too- especially for the price. Also, under $500 for an entire Stormtrooper suit is dirt-cheap, even if some of the details are slightly softer than certain fan builds. I just looked at the Vader ensemble as well; it remains to be seen how the quality holds up but $2750 for a full leather suit and all the other stuff that comes with it, as a finished ensemble and not a kit, would be hard to beat even from a private maker (and they don't have to pay license fees).

Yep. Two Years and about 5 months from order date.

I feel sorry for the people who cancelled recently. this is one time i'm glad i stuck it out.
But it got done. It didn't end up as vaporware. And it wouldn't surprise me if a motivating factor behind those that canceled came from the negativity that tends to spring up from threads like these.

But it got done. It didn't end up as vaporware. And it wouldn't surprise me if a motivating factor behind those that canceled came from the negativity that tends to spring up from threads like these.

yawn

So tired of 'negativity' being looked down upon.
negativity isn't necessarily a bad thing. if your entire place was positive %100 allof the time, it would not only be boring, but entirely un truthful in some cases...

fact of the matter is, to me, Anovos has some shady practices that thanks to threads like these, bring it to the surface to help educate costumers.
People probably wouldn't be getting refunds right now if not for threads like these.

Sometimes you have to light the fire in order to get people motivated.

Funniest example of that was running a website that our company web server maintained. I was having issues for months that where not getting resolved.
I bitched about it on my website, that they where apparently monitoring, and boom. problem fixed within a few days cause they didn't like the bad publicity, even on a minor website not many visited.

at times, negativity, or as some like to call it, cold hard truth, helps.

Oh yeah, I'm also not big boned, or proportion controlled. I'm a short fat lard ass who doesn't move. see? I'm truthful to myself too.

yawn

So tired of 'negativity' being looked down upon.
negativity isn't necessarily a bad thing. if your entire place was positive %100 allof the time, it would not only be boring, but entirely un truthful in some cases...

fact of the matter is, to me, Anovos has some shady practices that thanks to threads like these, bring it to the surface to help educate costumers.
People probably wouldn't be getting refunds right now if not for threads like these.

Sometimes you have to light the fire in order to get people motivated.

Oh, certainly. Bad practices should definitely be called out. There's also a big difference between "shady practices" and simply being inexperienced or not being able to hit goals and promises. The former implies a deliberate, intentional will to act poorly towards your customers and despite the missteps Anovos have made, I very much doubt anyone there is out to scam us.

You may not believe this Neil but I'm generally considered a VERY negative person by most people around me. (Really... I very often start sentences in meetings with "Well, the problem here is...") But as someone who works in an industry that provides entertainment to people, I'm tired of people complaining about situations they may not know the complex inner workings of, or dismiss things as "easy" when they in fact are far from it.

If the day comes that Anovos truly rips someone off, or delivers an item that is so bad in quality as to not be anything near what was promised (and refuse to take it back), you can be sure I'll be there with my torch and pitchfork ready to go. But until that happens, I will continue to recognize that bringing prop replicas and costumes (of the kind of quality most of us here demand) is not easy, not something that will make you rich and certainly demands a tireless love and passion to be able to do it, which in turn earns the few companies that do it a bit of leeway when they stumble.

I get all that. it requires a certain dedication and steel back to go into a biz like this full time.

but...
all I can do is judge by what I see and read.

and from what I see, Vader will be my only pre order from Anovos.

Two years plus is an insane wait for anything, even a specialized product.
It's like they are jumping the gun just to get the funds needed, and then are shocked problems arise when they do.
almost as if the business is being figured out as it's going along.

I'd love to be more positive about things. but in the cases like this, I think people have every right to complain, and loudly after 2 or more years wait.

Think of all the people that are just out there waiting. most don't know about threads like this. they are probably angrier.

Did Anovos tell you this themselves? I'm wondering since the Q4 status means any time from now until the end of the year. (I'm waiting on the tunic, a dress and the jacket.)

Haha, I got my question answered myself. They just confirmed it to me via their online chat service.

After considering some items from Anovos - going to wait now. A refund is supposed to be a refund not store credit.

I suggest you re-read, a little more closely. The situation was resolved, and the policy has been changed.

It's quite a bit more complicated bringing a licensed item to market. Two years is actually a pretty short time in bringing a commercial product out, if we're talking from start to finish. (A new car model platform can take a decade, for example) Most companies don't announce as early as Anovos though, so most likely they need the pre-order money to make sure they can do a project due to being a small operation. (I can't really blame them for it either. If they ended up with a couple hundred Vader suits too many without having coverage for most of them, it could be a huge problem.) You also have to take into account that making commercial, accurate and high-grade costume replicas is such a small niche area that there are very few "standard practices" in place when it comes to manufacturing. With several rounds of prototyping needed, then approval from license holders, then translation into an assembly-line... it takes time. Even finding a trustworthy place to make them can be hard; a lot of places are not interested in doing runs of goods unless the volume is in the thousands. If it were as simple as just "pouring some resin", there would be more companies doing it.

As for "better things"... Anovos' soft-goods (uniforms) are generally very well put together- way beyond amateur hobbyists. (I know enough about sewing to have made business suits for myself in the past, but I doubt I could match their Monster Maroon in manufacture quality for example.) The fabrics they use have been high quality as well. What little I've seen of their hardware (I only have the TFA Stormtrooper and their Trek emblems) has been good too- especially for the price. Also, under $500 for an entire Stormtrooper suit is dirt-cheap, even if some of the details are slightly softer than certain fan builds. I just looked at the Vader ensemble as well; it remains to be seen how the quality holds up but $2750 for a full leather suit and all the other stuff that comes with it, as a finished ensemble and not a kit, would be hard to beat even from a private maker (and they don't have to pay license fees).

Ill just buy from local builders. Do not need the licensing to go out trooping and have fun :) It also depends on the item too. Once you have all the licensing paperwork in place, the licensing fees paid up and your company is ready to go and you have the molds etc you should be able to cast and make things like an assembly line. If this was'nt the case there would be no toys in the toys are us.

Last edited:
yeah they did tell me themselves anyway on the same online chat may I ask did they say October to you too?

I told their rep that I had heard they were shipping this month and the rep replied "Yes, that's true!" So fingers crossed. (I could easily have waited longer though... I've got the jacket on order as well and that isn't shipping for a while yet.)

If this was the case there would be no toys in the toys are us.
The stuff you get at Toys'r'Us is mass-manufactured by (usually) decades-old companies with hundreds of millions in revenue. In comparison, most replica companies are "boutique" operations with very niche products. They operate under completely different financial and marketing conditions. You simply can't equate them to each other.

Well in my opinion anovos' work is excellent and yes they may lack in customer support but their products are great please keep me up to date with any of your deliveries I like to here that people are receiving their items and also if you get your tunic first i'd like to here your opinions on it.

:lol Nonsense :lol

What this thread DID accomplish was alerting our members here of a deplorable practice that, thanks to this thread, they corrected, as well as getting Jose here on the board after a long absence, over a year iirc, Jose correct me if I am wrong, to address these as well as other concerns, and facilitate returns that were not going through.

Just goes to show you that your so called, "Negativity" CAN and WILL result in POSITIVE results! :thumbsup

And it wouldn't surprise me if a motivating factor behind those that canceled came from the negativity that tends to spring up from threads like these.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back