Another Tumbler

To build this accurate, is not easy. for one thing, there aren't many parts you can just go out and buy besides the obvious. All the gold arms holding the air foils, all the brackets, a ton of stuff, all has to be scratch built. I stayed as close as possible to the original, even on closeup.
It's also a massive jigsaw puzzle cosmetically. If you screw it up too bad, you may have to live with the error. Take a REAL close look at the internet pics of the original. The details are endless. ENDLESS. A lot of the body parts have indented lines. The parts along side the front tires have all kinds of indented lines that have to be perfectly straight. And if you want real accuracy you have to do in fiberglass. there are some organic curves to the car. the original was taken off a full size foam sculpture. I could on, and on.
So my reaction to the brief discussion about how much the car is worth in terms of materials and labor, I will tell you this: I roughly added all my time into my car over the last 4+ years. If I billed myself at 30.00 an hr. U.S. I came in at 440K. this is just my labor, not materials, and I had no help. only things I farmed out were the counter rotation box, and the driveshaft. Evernything else I did in my garage. Yes it can be done. But.... you'd better be not only good at mechanical stuff, but artistically seasoned. i.e. being a good likeness sculptor would be a big big plus. And a good prop maker. and a good welder.
So, I would say that materials costs depends on a lot of things. current market cost of steel, etc... used or brand new engine, etc.. Material cost isn't so bad, but if you are going to be ACCURATE, labor time will be huge. I mean it. just go look at some of the high res shots of the car on the internet. and then try to visualize getting all those parts all at the right angles, and all so that they sync up just right. listen to what grant and gordon say in the video. they're not kidding.
and yes my car is driving. I have a 350 v-8 HO deluxe engine, a turbo 350 sizzler trans. wilwood brakes, blah blah blah.. now that the weather is nicer I will be getting it out. trying to find a place where I can wind it up though.
so grant and gordon did a great job. hats off to anyone brave enough to see a project like this through. any of these sort of cars (tumbler,89,95) will test you. really test you big time. assuming you don't dumb it down, or cut corners.

I don't know what kind of interior you are still planning, but it looks like that is where the Aussies cut their corners. Keep going, I am looking forward to seeing YOURS completed.

To build this accurate, is not easy. for one thing, there aren't many parts you can just go out and buy besides the obvious. All the gold arms holding the air foils, all the brackets, a ton of stuff, all has to be scratch built. I stayed as close as possible to the original, even on closeup.
It's also a massive jigsaw puzzle cosmetically. If you screw it up too bad, you may have to live with the error. Take a REAL close look at the internet pics of the original. The details are endless. ENDLESS. A lot of the body parts have indented lines. The parts along side the front tires have all kinds of indented lines that have to be perfectly straight. And if you want real accuracy you have to do in fiberglass. there are some organic curves to the car. the original was taken off a full size foam sculpture. I could on, and on.
So my reaction to the brief discussion about how much the car is worth in terms of materials and labor, I will tell you this: I roughly added all my time into my car over the last 4+ years. If I billed myself at 30.00 an hr. U.S. I came in at 440K. this is just my labor, not materials, and I had no help. only things I farmed out were the counter rotation box, and the driveshaft. Evernything else I did in my garage. Yes it can be done. But.... you'd better be not only good at mechanical stuff, but artistically seasoned. i.e. being a good likeness sculptor would be a big big plus. And a good prop maker. and a good welder.
So, I would say that materials costs depends on a lot of things. current market cost of steel, etc... used or brand new engine, etc.. Material cost isn't so bad, but if you are going to be ACCURATE, labor time will be huge. I mean it. just go look at some of the high res shots of the car on the internet. and then try to visualize getting all those parts all at the right angles, and all so that they sync up just right. listen to what grant and gordon say in the video. they're not kidding.
and yes my car is driving. I have a 350 v-8 HO deluxe engine, a turbo 350 sizzler trans. wilwood brakes, blah blah blah.. now that the weather is nicer I will be getting it out. trying to find a place where I can wind it up though.
so grant and gordon did a great job. hats off to anyone brave enough to see a project like this through. any of these sort of cars (tumbler,89,95) will test you. really test you big time. assuming you don't dumb it down, or cut corners.

I can't speak for anyone else but the defensive comments seem to be directed at my comment about the cost.

Perhaps I was not clear so let me explain. It was a joke:lol My apologies if that was not clear. I know nothing about cars much less building a custom one. Please for the love of all that is good and holy in the world waste no more of your freetime on my comment. It was sincerely a joke. I have no doubt it's worth that and based on the prices other props go for I have no doubt you could get a lot more for it.

Your Tumbler is awesome and as I stated as soon as my shipbuilders are building my Falcon (Not a joke should I win the lottery) I will be calling you to make my Tumbler.

Peace out and again,..Great work(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

So if this one has been sold for $250,000 and it cost $400,000 to build, I guess these guys are great car makers BUT horrible business men...

. Yes it can be done. But.... you'd better be not only good at mechanical stuff, but artistically seasoned. i.e. being a good likeness sculptor would be a big big plus. And a good prop maker. and a good welder.

I just figured out how to make balls and worms out of clay... :lol

hats off to all those who produce such intricate difficult pieces.

So if this one has been sold for $250,000 and it cost $400,000 to build, I guess these guys are great car makers BUT horrible business men...

Okay I just tried to reach out and sooth some ruffled feathers. You are not helping:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

God I love the Tumbler. Love the 89, love the General Lee, Fall Guy Truck and many other vehicles but when it comee to a vehicle the Tumbler leaves everything behind

Heck, there was car in the magazines a few months ago that was braggingly called the Million Dollar Mustang. Yeah, the guy paid a million bucks. Sure, it had a lot of stuff, but it was still a mustang. [ and ugly, frankly] A custom re-do of an old car can be $100,000.00. And for a show winner of the top awards, it's unlimited.

On the other hand there are companies like Factory Five, who make 'kit cars' Using wrecking yard parts you can have a scratch-built car for $20,000.

http://www.factoryfive.com/

And there are rip-offs too. People pay big bucks for projects, and the company uses the money to advertise, gets more suckers, then disappears.

So props are a lot cheaper.

The quote was $250K, the actual cost has gone to $450K now through a longer than expected development period and many re-dos. But it sounds like that was warned of up-front, and presumably the customer has deep pockets.

so... im currious if the ausies are using a tube chasiss or not and what kind of steel they are using, mild steel or chromoly or cheepy steel from china. i still like the idea of a guy doing it in his garrage! go doody go!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back