Another Tie Fighter Pilot Costume

After the primer was applied and allowed to dry, 2 coats of Gloss Black was put on and in 30minutes I was handling the box and putting the rocker switches on. The grey ones were drilled out to accommodate the 2 LEDs I purchased. Wiring was then soldered to the terminals and the switches glued into position. The wires were then connected to the switch and power supply,which is 2 x AAA batteries in a holder.

IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2615.JPG IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2622.JPG

I then made the sprocket wheels from thick plastic and added thin plastic to the outer edge where the teeth would be. I put the wheels in the vice and, using a chainsaw file, cut the teeth down to a marked line to get each one the same depth. I then found some plastic tube, which was an old kit part, and cut this to a length that looked right and glued these on. Then I found an old ball point pen that I could use the main body for the inner ring and cut this to the same depth as the outer ring and glued this on. Then, putting three cut-off discs on the shaft of my drill, I cut the slots across the two rings and they looked pretty good. I cut two small black plastic discs to go on the back of each to act as spacers and then I primed and painted them in an acrylic silver spray paint from the Plasticote range.

IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2662.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2668.JPG

So, the ComPad. I had made the main surface about three months ago, and finally had gotten round to doing the intricate details. These were just cut from flat plastic to the correct size and glued in place. Having such a large surface of detail, it is a shame that most of it is covered when installed in the sleeve pocket, which only provides a 55mm x 60mm ( that is 21/4" x 21/2" to you guys ) window.

IMG_2635.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2645.JPG

Once the gloss finish was applied to the armor, I set about working out where the shoulder straps were to be located. I then drilled holes through all the components and bolted them together, putting the bolt head through a screw cover base and then popping the top cap on. worked a treat and looks good. The clips for the elastic were bent up from heavy wire weedmat staples. I then feed the elastic strap through these and sewed the strap together.

IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2624.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2678.JPG IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
I also made a holster (RH) for the DL44 I made a while ago, to compliment the outfit. Well, I think that is all. I took it for a spin at a School gala in Paraparaumu, near Wellington, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was very rewarding to hear kids and adults alike compliment me on the costume and, although it took nearly 10 months to put together, was very gratifying in the end. You definitely get a buzz out of the experience. Right, 1 troop down, and goodness knows how many more to follow:).
Now, what will I build next? OOOHH! I know... ;)

IMG_2686.JPG IMG_2689.JPG IMG_20151107_101503 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_101549 - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_105635 - Copy - Copy.jpg IMG_20151107_105556.jpg DSC00183.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back