Another Salzo V3 Build

Just a silly question,are you using a hand-pin vise to drill the holes out for the cockpit, a small drill press or are you free hand drilling with a Dremel?

I'm using my drill with a 1/32 bit I had here around .. this is far from ideal as I'd prefer using the dremel but will do for now! :D

I didn't even know about hand-pin vise until last night .. man, I'd kill myself doing this by hand!

Primed the cockpit today and stayed there staring at how I could paint this thing ..

Since I couldn't even decide which cockpit I wanted to use, I decided to do both, then, I'll take the best one.

The SS was made with dry brushing white over the black primer and that's it ..

The 2nd one has been painted with the full scale color scheme .. just not so accurate as it's not really accurate to the movie anyway.

These are quick test and not final at all .. just wanted to get a sense of what could be done .. Any suggestions are, as usual, more than welcome. I want this to be super nice and I don't feel right now that my test is getting anywhere.

Last edited:
Finally finished downloading ANH and ESB .. and started taking screen caps for my paint reference ...

Another question, you guys know in which movie we have the best SS Red5 shots? That's if it's still there anywhere and has not been replaced with CG.

ESB Red5 (click for full 1900x800 HD)

The dry brushing version is a bit rough for such a good build, I would def re do that one!
The full scale version is a lot better but I think it lacks a bit of definition, I wouldn't know what to suggest as I've never tackled this kind of detail but I think it could look a lot better with just a few improvements. On the hole though this one is still looking really good, I'd scan through some other top builds & see how they were done?

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I'm not too satisfied with my cockpits either .. and until I know exactly which one I'll use, I'm kinda stuck on the build!

I'll scrap off what I've done and try something different .. now, what the best way to remove Tamiya paint from my base primer coat (if even possible...)? I just don't wanna end up with too much paint building up over the details.

Another noob question, when you guys paint details with a normal brush with Tamiya for ex., do you thin it anyway?

Mmm .. I've read yesterday that Mike (mslz22 here or salzo1@aol.com) was taking a break on these kits .. but you can still try to send him a PM and see what's up. Mike, I hope it's ok to share your info, lmk if it's not.

lol .. well, if you're up for any advice .. :)

I'm looking to get the best finish possible .. As you probably have read above, I still didn't make my mind whether to use the SS of full scale cockpit ...

I think my first approach was wrong working directly on the black primer .. what I plan to do now is try to use the base color (which will probably end up being mate white on the cockpit and then, work from there adding black panel and grey details ..

I've been collecting a lot of different paint scheme done here .. but of course I'd like my own interpretation and not copycat someone else's work .. I still wanna be fidel to the original prop if I go SS cockpit.

Right now, the status is black enamel primer and white/grey acrylic over it .. but I plan to redo it anyway, thus the question 'how to remove acrylic paint to prevent buildup".

What would you suggest .. again, this is my first garage kit / SS model I'm doing .. I know I can do it nicely but I still need advice on the way to go :)

the main consideration firstly is what you're trying to achieve. faithfulness to the prop, or matching the full size cockpit set.

the prop has not much detail visible and is in deliberately dark colours. so beyond a dark grey with some drybrushing for contrast, a few ink washes etc to delineate detail, there's not much else to do.

now if you're talking the cokcpit set. firstly. DO NOT use primary white as a base colour. even with washes it is bloody difficult to dull down and will stand out like a belisha beacon.

on a large scale model. start with an off white as your base colour in the appropriate areas. what this gives you then is something to work with.

you can then pick out detail in a pure white if you wish, and also dark washes to highlight details. regularly put the part into the model or next ot the model if you can to make sure the look of the cockpit does not dominate the colours of the exterior.

no point having subtle shading work on the outside if the cockpit stands out. it needs to blend with its surroundings and look like its supposed to be there.

so, with that in mind. start with off whites or greys instead of white. dark greys instead of black.

L,

Thanks so much for that information .. this is exactly the tips and consideration I was looking for!

I'll try cover everything on the 1:1 cockpit in grey tonight and start from there! I see now that using pure whites and blacks colors just doesn't work right at all!

I have to check what exactly is the ink wash tecnic too!

Also, I've made some progress on the kit yesterday, I'll update tonight...

Thanks again L!

My question still holds, let's say I wanna remove my tamiya over my primer coat .. what would be the best way?

hmm removing paint isn't really my area of expertise. my acrylics are a 12 year old make that is no longer made. the base coat can be just peeled off because it has a polymer plastic base so its very tough but also peelable.

as to ink washes. in the uk, Games workshop do a range of inks for painting. they can be applied neat for a very solid coverage or thinned down to make it as light or as dark as you want.

I would not recommend taking an acrylic black or grey and thinning it with water because it doesn't pool or dry right.

an alternative wash would be oil paint thinned down with thinners, but the problem there is very often runs off acrylic like oil on water. you have to consider laying down a coat of varnish first to give the oil paint something to adhere to.

in this case I wouldn't bother and I'd just stick to the inks.

I'll check my local hobby shop for Games Workshop, I think I've seen them there, but I'm not 100% sure.

If I'd have to go and buy the base colors for ink wash .. what should I go for? White, black, brown?

Thanks again Lancer, much appreciated!

Thanks DM .. that's appreciated knowing I'm not doing all that for nothing and a few people are actually reading this! ;) More like 2,463 :) lol

Tomorrow night, I'll update with pics .. moved forward on the wings and I need advice on the new paint scheme too! ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back