Andy19422 - Word of Warning if You Deal With Him

stefanchik

I originally wasn't gonna post this thread, but as people pointed out to me that the reason that I always get walked all over by prop-makers, is because as a person I'm said to be
' too nice ', then I decided to post the thread and maybe it will save some other poor soul from the same experience as I had

What I want to do, is give a word of warning to any of you who have dealings with, or are considering dealing with ' Andrew Stiles ' in the uk -- andy19422 here on the site

-- he's another person who now falls into the category of a prop-maker who nicely walked all over me and whose debt to me I've now had to write off
-- he conned me out of 1000 GBP under false pretences ( long story and no point sharing it and making this post into a novel )
-- I nevertheless out of kindness let him work his debt off on labour commission, but after the usual prop-maker story of broken promise after promise I told him to pack all my stuff up and send it back to me

-- he didn't have the small cash to be able do that so I then had to send him even more money just to get my own original items and molds back - lol

-- he was then since a year ago ' slowly ' tiny bit by bit sending small value payment to me every few months after I'd sent him the latest not so nicely worded reminder of his debt
-- and lets face it, I should not have to be begging month in month out for my own money back like this and receiving broken promise after promise on when the debt would be repaid

-- I have to say that the general prop-makers of this world are low life's who don't give a damn about ripping other folks off.
-- And I don't say that from just this experience with Andy, as I've been done over by one guy in the USA, 2 in France, 3 in England, and 2 in Germany
-- I know some people will say that you need to have upfront written legal documents when giving a guy original props to do commissioned replica's etc, but at the end of the day, such documents are meaningless and worthless as its virtually impossible to proceed with recourse when you and the prop-maker live in different countries
-- And if a guy simply has no cash, then he has no cash, and though a court could find in your favour, they can't make someone pay what they physically say they have not got
-- so if you are dealing with him, or are considering it, then I hope my own bad tasting experience of the guy who I treated amazingly well will err you to proceed with caution

----- On the plus side, I can write Andy up in the sense that his end result props were great pieces.
----- But on the down side, he's a guy who can't be trusted to keep his word, and who can't be trusted to come through with the items if you pay 100% ' up'front ' like so many prop-makers seem to want, and who then can't pay you back what he owes you when you decide that enough broken promises is enough and you want out.

-- I have to say that the general prop-makers of this world are low life's who don't give a damn about ripping other folks off.
-- And I don't say that from just this experience with Andy, as I've been done over by one guy in the USA, 2 in France, 3 in England, and 2 in Germany
-- I know some people will say that you need to have upfront written legal documents when giving a guy original props to do commissioned replica's etc, but at the end of the day, such documents are meaningless and worthless as its virtually impossible to proceed with recourse when you and the prop-maker live in different countries

From your description of yourself as a "nice guy" I think you do the community here a disservice with that generalization. Yes it's apparent you've had many a terrible experiences with your commissions, but it all boils down to professionalism at the end of the day

Regardless of whether it's the prop-maker community, the auto-mod community, or anywhere else, you'll find bad people anywhere, and those bad people tend to flock towards vulnerable people. And as you've said yourself, you opened yourself up to situations where you had no backup plan of discourse, 100% willingly. Yes, ethically and morally it sucks, but that's what you did,

You should trust only the people who've a history of professional work, typically people with websites, Etsy shops, LLCs, and maybe only in rare exceptions, fellow users. Just the other day I commissioned an artist from Japan to design blueprints for a particular CAD and our conversation over his wage went perfectly despite the obvious language barrier. Why? Because he had a professional reputation that depended on the quality and speed of his work.

In the end I'm not blaming you, just popping in to say we're not all bad :)

Last edited:

Or maybe you're just a chump. The vast majority of prop makers out there are passionate about their craft and have good reps; maybe you need to start doing more digging about who you're looking to deal with, or look at yourself and figure out what you are doing wrong if you keep getting taken advantage of.

@ Billy & Kokanee

I'm not saying that all the props guys are bad, just that a lot do seem to turn out that way even if like at first with Andy it started out very well

It always comes down to money, and when makers have it in hand it seems like a lot of times a person then falls to the back of the queue for some reason

At the end of the day, the whole affair is based on ' trust ', and while yes you can research to try and ensure that a props guy makes good items and has no negative reviews about them as someone to do business with. Then unfortunately its never a 100% guarantee that circumstance won't change and that what you have seen of their work, and read of their nature will always hold up to be the same

Book a flight, get to the guys address and "ask nicely" for your stuff.
bring some documents/ proof of your dealings with him, so you can ask the local authorities for support

Done the exact same thing with a guy in france a couple of years ago...you should have seen his surprised face to see me at his doorstep :cool

If you can not do this yourself, ask a local RPF member for help. I am sure there would be a few willing to support you (maybe for a small "fee" to cover their expenses).

Did he respond to you? He knows he was called into this thread and he was logged in 5 hours ago, so I am curious if he is just dodging you now?

Well.... any response from him? He has been on here often since we called him in. He needs to step up, be a man, respond and make an appearance. I guess getting banned doesn't mean anything to people these days.

I owe Stefan £200 which I was going to pay this month, then this week I get his email basically calling me a #### and to go #### myself! He moans that I have been sending him low value payments but I earn £400-£600 every four to six weeks, so after paying bills sending him a payment of £100 or £200, is a huge payment for me. He is always boasting how many hundreds of Thousands of $ he has spent on props so I guess a payment of £100 or £200 is not worth it for him. I am no longer making props as I can't afford to.

Honestly guys. Please deal with these kind of thing amongst yourselves. Hopefully moderators can help keep these kind of threads off the forum a lot better.

stefanchik I'm sorry but the blame is now also on you. You had the chance to protect and redeem your purchase through services like PayPal but you either didn't use PayPal or if you did, let it expire. You can write walls of text explaining why you didn't but that fact remains.

andy19422 At this point you're not helping, but neither is he. Both of you made terrible decisions with your work and money and frankly these kind of threads are just immature smear campaigns. It seems you're at least willing to give back the money, albeit extremely slowly, so no need to add to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly guys. Please deal with these kind of thing amongst yourselves. Hopefully moderators can help keep these kind of threads off the forum a lot better.

@stefanchik I'm sorry but the blame is now also on you. You had the chance to protect and redeem your purchase through services like PayPal but you either didn't use PayPal or if you did, let it expire. You can write walls of text explaining why you didn't but that fact remains.

@andy19422 At this point you're not helping, but neither is he. Both of you made terrible decisions with your work and money and frankly these kind of threads are just immature smear campaigns. It seems you're at least willing to give back the money, albeit extremely slowly, so no need to add to this.

threads like this are not a bad thing.let's the rest of us know not to deal with these people that want to do wrong by us.so I don't think your In the magority on that coment.

threads like this are not a bad thing.let's the rest of us know not to deal with these people that want to do wrong by us.so I don't think your In the magority on that coment.

That'd be true, if there already weren't threads like this popping up nearly all the time, and for the same reason as this:

1) Buyer doesn't protect himself with online services like PayPal, or if he does, lets the deed expire so he's no longer protected.
2) Seller claims to have issues at home and couldn't respond.

How many times can we learn the same lesson over and over again? You're right on the last part though, but having a list of untrustworthy sellers is better than this weekly festival of smearing.

@stefanchik I'm sorry but the blame is now also on you. You had the chance to protect and redeem your purchase through services like PayPal but you either didn't use PayPal or if you did, let it expire. You can write walls of text explaining why you didn't but that fact remains.

@andy19422 At this point you're not helping, but neither is he. Both of you made terrible decisions with your work and money and frankly these kind of threads are just immature smear campaigns. It seems you're at least willing to give back the money, albeit extremely slowly, so no need to add to this.

If it weren't for people like this posting their misfortunes of a non received item then many others would fall victim. At least with this one payments are being received whereas hearing about people waiting up to ten years for a prop or refund is ridiculous.

Says the member with less than a month on the Board :rolleyes

You would be well advised to sit back and watch how thing are done here before trying to put your input in.

It is not needed or wanted

How many times can we learn the same lesson over and over again? You're right on the last part though, but having a list of untrustworthy sellers is better than this weekly festival of smearing.

No one is forcing you to click on these threads and read them. Also it seems kind of odd that someone who just joined this community feels ok with telling others what they should and shouldn't post about.

Wow, sure did get a backlash from that. I'm not saying it's not bad that bad deals gwt into the spotlight, I'm just saying there's probably better productive ways to go about it than this.

Second, when did this forum go by seniority? Because as far as I know it's always been a nice place to ask for advice or input regardless of your age or experience. That's what I thought for my time spent lurking here. No bad vibes.

Long time members here do not need you to tell the community there are "better Productive ways" to deal with this.

Again you are a newb you will be better served if you look around and do a search, and get a feel how things are done here.

Wow, sure did get a backlash from that. I'm not saying it's not bad that bad deals gwt into the spotlight, I'm just saying there's probably better productive ways to go about it than this.

Second, when did this forum go by seniority? Because as far as I know it's always been a nice place to ask for advice or input regardless of your age or experience. That's what I thought for my time spent lurking here. No bad vibes.

Long time members here do not need you to tell the community there are "better Productive ways" to deal with this.

Again you are a newb you will be better served if you look around and do a search, and get a feel how things are done here.

So what's the term limit as to when I can start doing that? Two years? A year? Morning or afternoon? ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

It varys with each member, in your case it looks like you will be dining at the kids table for awhile! :lol

Regardless most here will ignore you anyway and from your foolish posts rightly so

So what's the term limit as to when I can start doing that? Two years? A year? Morning or afternoon? ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back