American Gods, does it get better?

razorsharp192

Sr Member
Hi all

I've watched the first 2 episodes of American Gods, and to be honest at the minute it seems confusing for the sake of being confusing. Is it worth sticking with? Does it get better? At the moment I could easily not watch another episode as it hasn't got me hooked at all.

I loved the book, so I was all in for this show. However, midway through the third episode, I completely lost interest. Might give it another try when its over.

I've really enjoyed it...but it's been consistent in what it is. So if you weren't pulled in at first, there's not much different that would pull you in now.

I watched the the first three, still debating whether to continue. They seem to be going out of the way to have Wednesday utter vague nonsense whenever Shadow asks wtf is going on. That may be fine for the character, but keeping the audience in the dark for so long is just enfuriating. I felt the same about Legion, but around episode 3/4 that show began dragging itself out of the narritive mire.

I find this less frustrating to follow than Legion. The gods are there, old and new, it seems that people's beliefs play a large part in how relevant gods are. So clearly Technology, Media, and Mr World are on the rise! I enjoyed Shadow Moons interactions with his wife. And the vagueness is fine, Shadow doesn't believe half of the things he is seeing. I enjoyed seeing the African Spider god on the slave ship wearing the purple zoot suit give a motivational speech! Visually stunning show as well

I was hooked from Ep 1 - the visuals are sublime. Very stylish. Having listened to the audiobook, it's difficult to not fill in any blanks therefore I don't notice the blanks - so am unsure how a new audience member would feel though my fiancee seems to be doing OK, finds it interesting. The vagueness is definitely on purpose though - that is how Wednesday is as a character. He's straight to the point but never hits in on the nose. Until he has to.

Episode 5 has some great expositional moments that will help to flesh out the ones that came before. Cast them in a bit of a new light.

I'm gutted that there's only 3 episodes left!

I watched the the first three, still debating whether to continue. They seem to be going out of the way to have Wednesday utter vague nonsense whenever Shadow asks wtf is going on. That may be fine for the character, but keeping the audience in the dark for so long is just enfuriating. I felt the same about Legion, but around episode 3/4 that show began dragging itself out of the narritive mire.

I'm not sure i'll bother watching any more, shows like this and Legion seem to be just trying to confuse the audience for the sake of it, trying to be all mysterious keeping the audience in the dark. For me it's just annoying, after 2 episodes I still have no idea what's going on, and aren't bothered about finding out.

well its a show not for everyone. Its visually spectacular and has been approved by the author of the original novel.

I like weird **** like this, and yeah it is quite confusing i must admit.

Twin Peaks coming back makes it a good year so far.

Last edited:
You should watch this and twin peaks on the same day, its not every day you see Mulder dressed as a woman and Scully dressed as a man.

The only episode I was a bit bored with was the 4th, as the bored looking woman looking bored for an hour made me feel bored myself

5th was better.

This last episode with Crispin Glover was really good, he really hasn't aged that much and it was a good solid performance.

I watched 2 1/2 episodes. I don't know where the show is going. I want to know what happens at the end in order for me to start watching again.

I guess the premise is good. Gods that are still around. The beginning of episode 3 was clever. I love the cat. And the visuals are cool. Those Goddess scenes are crazy but if you are going to go that's probably the best way for it to happen.

I assume there will be some kind of big conflict at the end. But I want to know how Shadow fits in the whole thing. He can't just be an average person.

I watched 2 1/2 episodes. I don't know where the show is going. I want to know what happens at the end in order for me to start watching again.

So you turned it off at the gay sex?

Its not exactly my cup of tea either, but how many straight sex scenes have gay people had to watch over the years?

You know its a weird show, you saw two and a half episodes of it, but really, if this was your reason for stopping, its a bit of a poor one.

Anyway if you do keep watching, there hasn't been any more of that in the rest of them so far, and you will get to see some boobs, I'm guessing you're ok with those since you never turned it off in the straight sex scenes.

I really enjoyed the season finale. Wednesday's reveal (which I already knew), Laura and Sweeney, Ostara, and Gillian Anderson as Judy Garland all worked perfectly, particularly in the final few minutes.

Really left me hoping season 2 comes sooner rather than later.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back