Alien (1979) Nostromo Crew Shoes Replicas

Hello everyone. This forum thread has been great to follow. Through your posts, I have managed to make my own pair of Nostromo crew shoes. I used the PF Flyers shoes. For the D-rings (plastic) and leather strap, I sourced those from Aliexpress.us and for the rivets, I found some on Etsy. I am happy with how it all turned out. All that being said, I have some left over material I am wondering if anyone would like it. There are enough D-rings to make another pair of shoes and enough leather strap to make several pairs. I also have a couple of the rivets left over though only enough to make one side of one shoe. I don't need another pair of shoes and if I do, I have the sources to purchase again. First to say they want it, gets it. If you're wondering about the pants, I purchased the Nostromo Crew Uniform (pants, shirt and jacket) from Nostromocrew.com. Anyways, thanks again everyone for sharing your creations. View attachment 1660552View attachment 1660554View attachment 1660553View attachment 1660559View attachment 1660555View attachment 1660556
Did you use a tool for the rivets? If so, what was iit because I'd like to try the same method on my sneakers.

Did you use a tool for the rivets? If so, what was iit because I'd like to try the same method on my sneakers.
I used a rivet setter. Very easy to use.
IMG_1609.jpeg

I saw this thread pop up, ALIEN being one of my favorite films coupled with the fact I've been wanting to do a quick build lately, it's inspired me to give this a go. Unfortunately, costs have gone up since this thread started, but I've bought all my materials, just have to wait for them to arrive in the mail.

Cost breakdown so far:

$77 = Shoes: cream-colored canvas PC Flyers, used; Ebay (shipping incl.)
$7.30 = white suede strips
$25.28 = 1/2" steel D-rings x 50
$18.08 = Urethane shoe adhesive
$25.68 = yellow replacement soles
Already have = Rivets
Already have = Eyelet tool
Already have = white paint (acrylics and enamels)
–––
$153.34 = Total

I was hoping to keep costs down but I'm building these shoes to actually wear, so I suppose this is an investment. Granted, one I wasn't expecting to spiral this fast out of control. o_O I'll post my results here, rest assured!

$18.08 = Urethane shoe adhesive
$25.68 = yellow replacement soles
You're really planning on replacing the current soles? That sounds like a extra level of cost & complexity that most people won't appreciate / notice. Don't get me wrong, if your aim is as screen accurate as humanly possible, then excellent! I very much look forward to seeing your project, and wish you the best of luck. Buuuut if you're something a bit like me, and often budget [&/or time] constrained, a wee bit of compromise on some aspects of a prop build isn't a bad thing, for both mental & wallet health :)

You're really planning on replacing the current soles? That sounds like a extra level of cost & complexity that most people won't appreciate / notice...
That sounds like a extra level of cost & complexity that most people won't appreciate / notice...
most people won't appreciate / notice...

Welcome to the hobby.

As far as I can see, they just glued the replacement soles on the underside of the shoe (with maybe a little grinding away on the heel). I haven't got all the parts together yet but I'm still debating with myself whether or not to go with the low profile that the film boots kept. I don't like wearing flats like Converse or the like. A part of me wants to just slap the sole on, trim the edges to shape and call it done and keep some arch support.
I'll know the route to go when it all gets here though.

Well, this was a fun little side-project. Everything came in the mail on Friday afternoon and I just finished these tonight. Some things are a bit rough around the edges but I'm very pleased with these for the most part.

20230211_192028 (2).jpg

These were cream-colored PF Flyers, modified the usual way documented by others here (removing the rubber stamp on the heel, and the patch on the ankles), and painted over in thin white washes to turn the cream color to a "whole milk" white. I wanted slightly differing shades of white on my shoes rather it being stark white like they're supposed to be on screen. The d-rings are metal painted white. The ribbon in the back I left unpainted as acrylic wasn't going to stick to it and enamel will just wear off over time. I kept the stripes for the same reason. The white suede clasps holding the d-rings was almost the perfect length for my snaps but it was just one strap short! I had to resort to using a black strip of leather I had of similar thickness laying around to make up for it. I just painted it white in a few layers and used it as one of the loops at the top of the shoe where no one will see it. The rivets fastening them are metal and painted white after I had secured them to the shoe. The eyelets were also a little undersized, as I found out. I used them anyway. They lacked the backing for them too, which I also hadn't noticed, and resorted to using some small washers I have in their place.

The least fun bit was re-soling the shoes. I'd cut them a bit wonky and uneven, used too much glue on one trying to figure it out, and ground a little too much off the edges on both. I don't recommend anyone doing that regularly. I used my angle grinder after pinching the excess off with clippers on the front half of the sole, and hacked the heel into size with a hacksaw. Urethane rubber is just one of those things that when you smell it burning, you know immediately it's poison. It stinks to high hell and the smell alone penetrated into my clothes and skin. Terrible business that. I didn't do too hot of a job of them if I'm to be honest about it, but it turned out well enough considering, I suppose.

I have everything to make these shoes (I went for the leather version) but the rest of my outfit will be the Kane version.

It looks like he wore black boots of some sort. Have those been identified? I have a pair of NATO issue combat boots that might be right but figured I’d ask.
173DE94A-E652-4660-91D0-6A482F605FD0.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I've been tearing my hair out all week trying to figure out what on earth the original shoes that appear in the movie were, some have said that they were converse, some have said that they were PF Flyers, but small details like the external reinforced heel panel, the bumper pattern, the hiking soles and the triple air vents convinced me that this couldn't be the case.

After much sleuthing I'm glad to let you all know I have solved the mystery once and for all.

They are the "Chicago Dodgers" shoe made by the company INTER in the mid 70s. Here are some photos that may help you on your replica journey.

IMG_4174.jpg
IMG_4189 - Version 3.jpg
IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6065.jpg
IMG_6067.jpg
IMG_6073.jpg
IMG_6079.jpg

(Photos courtesy of Wolfie Wolfgang on blogspot)

shoe-side-detail.jpg

If you look closely in this next image you can just about make out the painted over 88 logo on the ankle and the distinctive heel panelling.

alien-year-1979-director-ridley-scott-sigourney-weaver-A1577H.jpg

Anyway I hope that helps someone.

Fantastic! Very exciting information. Thanks for posting. I found these in a Robert Plant music video a few years ago (I'm in The Mood), but could not sort out the brand. Quick photo grab because I'm so excited by your I.D.

Screenshot_20230710-205856_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I've been tearing my hair out all week trying to figure out what on earth the original shoes that appear in the movie were, some have said that they were converse, some have said that they were PF Flyers, but small details like the external reinforced heel panel, the bumper pattern, the hiking soles and the triple air vents convinced me that this couldn't be the case.

After much sleuthing I'm glad to let you all know I have solved the mystery once and for all.

They are the "Chicago Dodgers" shoe made by the company INTER in the mid 70s. Here are some photos that may help you on your replica journey.

God...dammit! Why didn't I wait four months!? :lol:

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back