Age of Ultron Captain America Build (Build complete! pics on page 5)

Re: Age of Ultron Captain America Build (newbie's first Cap suit)

Blasted through this section pretty quickly. I've got the shell for the stomach section done, although I may redo the topstitching on the top cordura piece since up close it's definitely not my best work. Also included some closeup shots of the topstitching on the ponte sections. Still have to attach the jumbo spandex back-side pieces and make the lower back section. I also made the cotton liner for the stomach section as well as the stencil that I'll use to mark/cut out the foam pieces, mark placements on the liner, and mark sewing lines on the shell. I'll need to cut all the pieces a bit smaller than I originally thought though since I forgot to account for the topstitching seams when I made the stencil and I don't want everything to overlap. Though that's as simple as marking the foam with a thick sharpie and cutting inside the line as opposed to outside.

11845956_10152928295052234_506493447_n.jpg11846397_10152928295102234_1793033023_n.jpg11830090_10152928295117234_1901255335_n.jpg11805893_10152928295077234_1787512517_n.jpg

Oh the memories. Makes me want a drink just thinking about it. :)

If you don't already have one, a compensating presser foot will make this part a lot easier. That, or a 1/4" zipper foot. The standard zipper cording foot is really too wide to get between all the little layers.

Oh the memories. Makes me want a drink just thinking about it. :)

If you don't already have one, a compensating presser foot will make this part a lot easier. That, or a 1/4" zipper foot. The standard zipper cording foot is really too wide to get between all the little layers.

Ooh didn't think of that, you're right. Would something like these do the trick?

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-A...F8&qid=1438712131&sr=1-4&keywords=zipper+foot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPJ3DXA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A353OFJ1T3F9U3

That looks OK. I usually buy left and right facing feet as I personally don't like the adjustable ones. Be sure you're low shank. Do you have a domestic or industrial?

That looks OK. I usually buy left and right facing feet as I personally don't like the adjustable ones. Be sure you're low shank. Do you have a domestic or industrial?

Domestic, it's a Singer Futura XL-400, so it mainly uses snap on feet but supposedly you can use screw-on low shank feet as well.

Domestic, it's a Singer Futura XL-400, so it mainly uses snap on feet but supposedly you can use screw-on low shank feet as well.

Ah, ok - I have a Singer 20U industrial. You might be ok with this one. Take the chance - if it works, it'll be a great foot and you'll be able to use it a lot.

Ah, ok - I have a Singer 20U industrial. You might be ok with this one. Take the chance - if it works, it'll be a great foot and you'll be able to use it a lot.

Man I'm jealous, unfortunately I don't think I'd ever be able to justify the cost of an industrial as great as they are. And yeah since they're cheap I might get both and just toy around, see which serves me better. Thanks man!

Man I'm jealous, unfortunately I don't think I'd ever be able to justify the cost of an industrial as great as they are. And yeah since they're cheap I might get both and just toy around, see which serves me better. Thanks man!

I had to. I worked for a time out of an industrial shop that I used to work for and the management after me gave me "friendly access" to the shop. Once they left, I had to outfit my own space. I got mine on Amazon for right at $1k in 2010. It paid for itself in less than 2 months.

The real commitment is space - you can't move it around as it's on a table and weighs about as much as a VW.

I had to. I worked for a time out of an industrial shop that I used to work for and the management after me gave me "friendly access" to the shop. Once they left, I had to outfit my own space. I got mine on Amazon for right at $1k in 2010. It paid for itself in less than 2 months.

The real commitment is space - you can't move it around as it's on a table and weighs about as much as a VW.

Whoa that's awesome! Yeah space'd be an issue for me. Don't have a dedicated sewing room so I gotta be able to pack away my stuff for a weekend anytime the dining room is needed haha, the sufferings of a hobbyist.

Knocked out all the pieces for the lower back section last night! Decided to give it a headliner foam underpadding so that it'd have the same thickness and the upperbody armor. Doesn't add much work either since all I'll have to do is sew it to the liner of the upper torso armor and topstitch it to the shell around all the other sides once everything's been assembled. Also quickly attached the invisible zipper just to get that out of the way.

11824125_10152930127112234_1833949738_n.jpg11830670_10152930127062234_1318659639_n (1).jpg

Last set of photos before I dive into the world of tiny stomach foam bits. Finished up the shell of the lower torso section by installing the spandex panels on the side. Quickly pinned it onto the mannequin and it looks like everything should line up properly! Excuse the lopsidedness in the picture of the back, my mannequin took some damage recently from falling over that tilted the top half of it as a slight angle, gotta fix that up soon.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

So uh, I thought I'd be gone for a bit longer, but I may have found a shortcut to the the stomach foam bits and wanted to get some opinions on it. Short version, I decided to use a light amount of Super 77 to place the foam pieces on the inside of the shell so that I wouldn't have to worry about them moving around as I did my top stitching. I sprayed the lining a bit too just for good measure and sandwiched it all. But then I had an idea, grabbed my credit card and started rubbing around the edges of the foam pieces with it and ended up with a halfway decent embossing job. The white ponte and cordura were a little less visible because of the cordura's thickness and the bulk of the seam allowance from topstitching the stripes though. And I doubt the adhesive is strong enough to keep a permanent hold. But now I've got two potential options. I can go ahead and do the topstitching like I planned with everything firmly held in place and outlined. Or, I can remove the thin cotton liner, get a stronger spray adhesive, make a liner out of cordura and see what happens when I do the embossing with those. Any thoughts?

embossing.jpg

So uh, I thought I'd be gone for a bit longer, but I may have found a shortcut to the the stomach foam bits and wanted to get some opinions on it. Short version, I decided to use a light amount of Super 77 to place the foam pieces on the inside of the shell so that I wouldn't have to worry about them moving around as I did my top stitching. I sprayed the lining a bit too just for good measure and sandwiched it all. But then I had an idea, grabbed my credit card and started rubbing around the edges of the foam pieces with it and ended up with a halfway decent embossing job. The white ponte and cordura were a little less visible because of the cordura's thickness and the bulk of the seam allowance from topstitching the stripes though. And I doubt the adhesive is strong enough to keep a permanent hold. But now I've got two potential options. I can go ahead and do the topstitching like I planned with everything firmly held in place and outlined. Or, I can remove the thin cotton liner, get a stronger spray adhesive, make a liner out of cordura and see what happens when I do the embossing with those. Any thoughts?

View attachment 511376

if it was something relatively static, like a pouch or something, I'd say you're good to go. However, with the amount of twisting, stretching and compression that the torso will go through, it will most likely release to some extent no matter what spray adhesive you use. Personally, I would take the time and just sew them down. It'll be a lot better to just do it now than to try to do it later when the whole padded chest and back are added.

if it was something relatively static, like a pouch or something, I'd say you're good to go. However, with the amount of twisting, stretching and compression that the torso will go through, it will most likely release to some extent no matter what spray adhesive you use. Personally, I would take the time and just sew them down. It'll be a lot better to just do it now than to try to do it later when the whole padded chest and back are added.

Ahh you're right, forgot about that. Wish there was a way to stress test the torso, but wearing an unconnected lower torso section while doing errands doesn't really match up to wearing it during a con or a shoot. Gotta think that over, if anything though, sewing the pieces will be a lot easier now that I can see the pieces clearly.

Nah, just wrap it around you and wear it to the market. Haha! Be sure and share some video of that. :)

Hahaha, well I also have to make another trip to Joann's for more headliner foam where they know I'm working on a cap suit. I can show off some of my work to them!

After redoing the spray adhesive with 3M Hi-Strength 90 and a cordura liner, stress-testing it with my hands and wearing it for a drive (Joann's was closed by the time I got there so sadly no fun pictures of me confusing the employees haha), and a lot of thought, I decided that even though it was sturdy enough to hold after the testing, the raised bits weren't visible enough for my liking. So I sat down and banged out the topstitching and not only was I surprised how quickly it went by (about an hour and a half) I am definitely a lot happier with how it looks now! And no worries of the glue wearing off over time! Just goes to show you that sometimes you just gotta stick to the tried and true methods :)

stomach1.jpgstomach 3.jpgstomach 4.jpg

Overshirt is officially done! I've never been so happy to hit the backstitch button on my machine haha. Not too much to say since it really just attaching the top and bottom shells, inserting the rest of the liner and doing all the necessary topstitching. I did also add some velcro under the back flap just to hold it in place better. Honestly the main thing I'm proud of at this point is having the patience to individually hem the bottom of the red, white, and blue sections in their appropriate color threads!

cap top 1.jpgcap top 2.jpg
cap top 3.jpg
cap top 4.jpgcap top 5.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back