Adjusting Vintage Graflex Clamp

FLS89

So I have a vintage graflex that I’m trying to use for an ANH build, and having some trouble with the clamp.

The clamp teeth seem to be angled inward and not allowing enough space to put the bubble strip in between them. If I loosen it up then it will be far too loose on the graflex tube.

Does anyone know of a good way to slightly bend the clamp so that it can be wide enough for the bubble strip?

Here’s a couple of pictures of what I mean. The first picture you can see the lines I drew are angled inward and the clamp is too tight. Whereas in the other picture (different clamp) the angles are pointing outward allowing for enough space.

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 34
I believe you can take it all apart, rotate the bar with the female threads by 180 degrees and then put it all back together to get a result that is half way in between too tight and too loose.

I believe you can take it all apart, rotate the bar with the female threads by 180 degrees and then put it all back together to get a result that is half way in between too tight and too loose.

Yea unfortunately that's not really the issue though.

In either case, the part of the clamp that wraps around the graflex tube is too loose while the teeth of the clamp where the bubble strip sits is too tight.

The angles where the clamp bars sit aren't quite 90 degrees to the section that wraps the tube. Was hoping to be able to bend it just slightly more. Need like 1/8 inch.

Ok that makes sense. The main question then is….how do I fit it into a vice? I have a wood vice attached to my workbench but maybe I’m just not good at visualizing how I would insert it into the vice and properly leverage the jaws.

Probably hard to explain also lol. Thanks for any help though.

Ok that makes sense. The main question then is….how do I fit it into a vice? I have a wood vice attached to my workbench but maybe I’m just not good at visualizing how I would insert it into the vice and properly leverage the jaws.

Probably hard to explain also lol. Thanks for any help though.

I’ve done it before. I’ll post some pics tonight

Thanks so much!

Here you go…

Place the “lip” of the jaws of one side of the clamp inside the jaws of the vice.

Tighten the vice only so far as it takes to “grip” the lip of the clamp—without crushing it.

IMG_4260.jpeg

From there, grab the body of the clamp and pull it up, or push it down, until the clamp lips grips the bubble strip the way that you want it.

IMG_4259.jpeg

You’ll likely need to adjust both sides of the clamp until it gets to where you want it to be.

Last edited:
Here you go…

Place the “lip” of the jaws of one side of the clamp inside jaws of the vice.

Tighten the vice only so far as it takes to “grip” the lip of the clamp—without crushing it.

View attachment 1813568

From there, grab the body of the clamp and pull it up, or push it down, until the clamp lips grips the bubble strip the way that you want it.

View attachment 1813567

You’ll likely need to adjust both sides of the clamp until it gets to where you want it to be.

Thanks for the pictures and explanation.

So in this example since the picture is close up, I want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. Are you clamping inside the lip where the clamp bar would go, and then the other part of the vice is pushing lightly against the clamp body that wraps the graflex tube?

Thanks for the pictures and explanation.

So in this example since the picture is close up, I want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. Are you clamping inside the lip where the clamp bar would go, and then the other part of the vice is pushing lightly against the clamp body that wraps the graflex tube?

The jaws on my vice fit right where the bars on the clamp would normally go and the jaws of the vice are cranked down only enough to “grip” the lip of the clamp so that I can push down / pull up on cylinder of the clamp to alter how the lips on the Graflex clamp align.

Ah ok, at first I didn’t see both sides of the vice. But yea I think I get it now. Hopefully my vice is similarly sized, it looks quite similar so I’ll give it a shot soon. Thanks again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back