IMAG0601_LR.jpg

Close Up

IMAG0602_LR.jpg

Close Up

IMAG0603_LR.jpg

Close Up

Dave

Hello Everyone

I am proud to announce my partnership with Diego at the.rebel.agent designs and would like to announce that the elusive Obi PT Buckle is finally coming to fruition. For those of you that have been following this project with Diego, it started back in 2006 and after hitting a few stumbling blocks it looked to be unattainable. Fast forward to this past summer, I contacted Diego about possibly acquiring a few buckles only to learn that the project had not happened. I asked if he would be ok if I took a crack at it, he agreed. So we sent the designs to my contacts, made a 3d printed sample, and now have the working prototypes in hand. Here they are:

Obi_Buckle_Border_2.jpg

Close Up Gallery

As you can see from the gallery, these are all metal, fully functional buckles just like the real deal. I elected to go with a Rack Nickel Finish to match my Anakin Buckles. All I can say is we finally did it.

Diego and I have just sent in a few small revisions to my manufacturer, once I hear back from them we will have a solid timeframe of availability and I will post both a sale thread AND launch these on my website. If I had to place a guess, these should be in hand before the end of the year.

I also want to take a moment and remember a fallen friend. Ryan Jones (JediAgent) was instrumental in helping Diego get this project going and, if you followed any of the older threads from Diego, they worked back and forth on quite a few details. Unfortunately, Ryan isn't here today to see where this project has gone, but I strongly believe he is smiling down upon us now. Diego and I would both like to dedicate this project to Ryan and his memory.

Obi Buckle Update - 10/24/13

After the first batch arrived in Diego's hands he realised a few things needed to change, all for the better. Here are the 3 changes we made:

Change 1 - we added some metal to the face of the buckle so we could deepen the score lines. What we found was that from a distance the score lines disappeared, so this will fix that issue.

Change 2 - the side flaps were just to loose. We are having my manufacturer change the assembly process so that we can tighten those up.

Change 3 - this is the change that 99.97% of costumers will never see or know about, but Diego caught it and pointed it out to me. The attachment holes that hold the body of the buckle together on the back of the buckle were reversed, so in the wrong spots. Since Diego had his hands on the real deal buckle, he pointed out that this should be changed to make the buckle completely accurate. I agree and so the change was made. Again, the majority of people would never know about this change, but we did and we want it right.

So, what that means for you guys? Well, we had to make new molds so my timetable got pushed out by about 3-4 weeks from today. I'm still hopeful that I can get these in by the end of the year, but it may push into January by just a little bit.

Dave

Last edited:
I wanted to take a minute and thank Diego for allowing me to take part in this project. On a personal note I am both honored and grateful that I was able to, in some small way, bring this project to life.

I strongly believe that all thanks needs to go to Diego, without his vision and tenacity, this almost 8 year project would never have seen the light of day.

Take a bow my friend, you deserve it. This has been a long, tough road for you but the end is in sight.

Dave

thank you my friend

Updates in first post with timetables and details on the changes we made

Dave

That is just beautiful. I love that it is functional, even if it will never be used that way.

Thank You. As far as never being used functional......well, that depends on how you set your belt up ;)

Dave

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back