AA/Diamond $20 Star Trek Communicator: modified with metal parts

Re: AA/Diamond $20 Star Trek Communicator: photos, review, AUTOPSY

Well the AA phaser has had SEVEN repaints so far (!) so maybe there is some secret "bronze" repaint of the comm where it's just Uhura cursing at you in Swahili or something.

- k

I'll be sure to pop open the exclusive once it arrives and see how it is configured. Maybe all is needed is to add a jumper wire for the extra sound. But looks like you have to take the PC board out to do the solder work on the back.

I wouldn't experiment until we know more though.

You would think it would have been simply a matter of how they burned the chips and not a simple jumper.

Or maybe there is some other edition we haven't heard of yet.

Bronze? I know AA made gold Enterprises and such.

Maybe things will be clearer when both types can looked at side by side. Then we can see the differences between both the regular circuit board and the exclusive.

The postal service here sucks... I'm still waiting on my Comm. Disappoining about the color of the antenna metal underneath the paint, but oh well, at least it's metal.

Thoughts on how easy it'd be to install proper t-jet hubs?

And slightly off topic, but why did Enterprise use the MR Comm instead of the HMS Comm?

Well the AA phaser has had SEVEN repaints so far (!) so maybe there is some secret "bronze" repaint of the comm where it's just Uhura cursing at you in Swahili or something.

- k

Holy crap. Seven? I only know of three. Regular, Bronze handle, B&W. What were the other four?

Well the originals had black handles. You could spot them easy. :lol

The original AA phaser was the version that was used as a prop on Enterprise. As to why they used a toy and a commercial replica, I guess it was because they were cheap, durable, and "good enough". We all as fans would have wanted to see HMS make up a set of the most accurate replicas ever for them to use, but the fact is I can pretty much guarantee that the cost of the replicas and toys they did use, was less than the bill they would have had to pay HMS for the custom work. Too bad, but "it's a business" as they love to say.

Apparently one of the "dead bodies" of the Defiant crew in the hallway, has got an HMS tricorder, or at least that was what I was told.

Actually I'm more obsessed with the question of why there was only ONE pistol phaser on the entire Defiant... and why it was just lying in the corridor for Archer to find when they initially beam over.

As to the repaints, let's see, there was

- original black handle
- white handle
- gold handle (this was supposed to be a bronze handle but they screwed up)
- corrected, accurate dark bronze handle
- 40th anniversary with dark gray body and black handle
- current issue (identical to "corrected, accurate bronze handle" I think but in new packaging)

So if you don't already have
an AA phaser, I'd say try to get one of the current run with the dark gray body and bronze handle. Those are not only accurate but will be the least expensive.

If you plan to repaint the phaser, any of the various ones will do. The grip should be Rustoluem Dark Bronze Metallic, the phaser body should be a color called Shadow Gray, and the hand phaser can be black or a very dark gray like Zynolyte Primer.

- k

Last edited:

Dupli-Color hot rod grey primer is a VERY close match to zynolyte.

OK some more autopsy pix for ya... front side of the circuit board... note that the LEDs are SURFACE MOUNT! No outer casing.

The moire ring is easy to remove, ad the "lights" are just a single piece of plastic with paint indicating the colors, fitting thru three holes in the comm casing.

I think the controls plate is not a separate piece though, that plus the mic screen seem to ba all molded of a piece.

DSC02575.jpg

DSC02579.jpg

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

It looks like that jumper is going back to the chip. The jumper is shorted together so it is currently set to J2:Regular. I think if that solder joint is removed you will find out what that does. My money is on the extra audio.

Last edited:

I think they're just trying to keep us from doing what we're attempting... cutting a wire (or soldering one) and turning regular comms into "Entertainment Earth Exclusive" comms. :lol

But I don't like the no-win scenario...

PhasePistol, thanks for doing this! great info. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.
I appreciate your blazing the trail!

Oh that is SO upgradeable.
I bet we can talk Matt into replacement parts for this........

It looks like that jumper is going back to the chip. The jumper is shorted together so it is currently set to J2:Regular. I think if that solder joint is removed you will find out what that does. My money is on the extra audio.

Agreed. The jumper was hiding on the back,
and now the markings make sense.

I think all we need now to minimize any risk, is simply verify that an exclusive does indeed have a jumper missing and there are no other differences.

Removing a connection sounds far more benign compared to adding one.

Or perhaps it is a mystery "Bronze" comm filled with incredible sound clips beyond imagination!

Just for laffs, comparison with my partially built CaptJTK dummy comm.

DSC02608vsCaptJTK.jpg

DSC02610vsCaptJTK.jpg

Fantastic detail shots of the guts, phase. Thank you! :thumbsup

What, It has a metal lid, spinning more' AND a telescoping antenna!

Oh man, this just keeps getting better!

:lol

Both... communicators... so perfectly accurate... can't... decide...

tsopkirk2commssy3.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back