A Stylized MAG - A Scratch Build - Almost Complete

Re: My NIKE MAG Improvement project

it looks great!

whats the consensus on painting the foam part of the soles? is it latex mixed with fabric paint combination covered with some finish protector?

or maybe a paint spray like the ones above could do a good job?

it looks great!

whats the consensus on painting the foam part of the soles? is it latex mixed with fabric paint combination covered with some finish protector?

or maybe a paint spray like the ones above could do a good job?

Paint will most likely chip off, and I wouldn't trust an aerosol around a foam.

Dye, is most likely the way to go. I'll be doing some experiments on my soles with Rit dye. My guess is that it should work...fingers crossed.

-Nick

Dye, is most likely the way to go. I'll be doing some experiments on my soles with Rit dye. My guess is that it should work...fingers crossed.

-Nick
Has anyone ever applied 2PAK primer with a roller? I used to do this on speaker boxes and the end result was a pimpled hard poly coating that sealed even the porous end grain of MDF. I got this stuff on my clothes once and it flexed and moved and did not peel or crack for the time I had them. I don't know if it would react with the foam (eat the foam) but I think it ( and a roller) would provide the fine bumpy surface of that part of the shoe. It is also a light (lighter than the paint I've used) grey. It is very toxic though.

-Nick
rite die dose not work trust me ive tried it all it dose is look like you water painted it with kid paint plus it washes off mostly the only thing it sticks to is any cracks and stress lines in your foam. good will hunting guys i put up a formula but hey seeing is believing i guess

-Nick
rit die dose not work trust me ive tried it all it will look like you water painted it with kid paint plus it washes off mostly the only thing it sticks to is any cracks and stress lines in your foam. good will hunting guys i put up a formula but hey seeing is believing i guess.SIGNING OFF B4TF.

@cavx nice job. The paint job is definitely a huge upgrade on these. Well done.
Hey thanks for the positive feedback.

Just for giggles, here is the masking and painting photos.

All Masked up
attachment.php

Spray Painted
attachment.php

I just hope my 10's turn out as good as my wife's 8s. They are in the garage drying right now.

And here is the new tongue and extended collars. I need to paint the collars grey before I attempt to stitch the lining fabric to the other side. I also need to cut out my finger pull holes. You can see one tongue is bent. I made the back piece in two halves for this purpose.

attachment.php

Paint is dry and the tape has been removed :) Like the size 8s I did yesterday, there was some bleeding that needed cleaning up. Overall I am pleased with the result. I am wanting to darken the soles slightly. I think that they are too bold in white against the darker grey. If the grey was a few shades lighter, this would not be an issue.

The MAG shoes and BTTF II inspired tube bag
attachment.php

Adding some flash to show off the bling [reflective tape]
attachment.php

And my first wear
attachment.php

I like that shot. Looks like I'll have to update my avatar :)

Some day I'll get a Jacket and Hoverboard [which I have plans for thanks to member Meta440]

Attachments

• First Wear.JPG
    First Wear.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,104

Ok having another crack at the Ankle Buckle. When I bought the grey paint, I also bought a can of Bondo. I mixed about 50 grams and applied that and when it set, went back to shaping it, but it seemed everything I did, I created a flat spot or even create small indents. So it got shelved yet again.

So I was given some poly resin the other week and today I decided to give this stuff a go. So I mixed up just 10 grams and tipped in on the curved surface and whilst holding the part by the edges, moved it around to let the resin run over the surface. It seems to have done what I wanted - to fill in the holes and create a very smooth curved surface.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So given how well this experiment seems to have worked today, I'll be using this again to do the outer edges and around the strap slots.

I've also hollowed the back out. It is not deep enough for a 9V as originally intended, but will be perfect for those watch batteries or maybe even two AAA batteries.

This part must be right before I am prepared to chop the collars off my shoes and replace them.

And after the 3rd coat, this is looking sweet!

attachment.php

I have done all the external edges and the resin has made the rounded parts smooth now fixing those small flat spots I had before.

This was done tonight, so tomorrow after it dries, I can tidy the slot and clean off any drips. This stuff reminds me of the Xenomorph saliva the way it flows and then hangs down in stands off the ends before breaking off.

UPDATE: Clear Sole pour 1 was a fail. It remained sticky due to not getting hot enough to set. Pour 2 was a success and hopefully pour 3 will also work out. Once I have these sheets cured, I will be looking at how I can attach the new clear soles to the shoes. Images to come soon.

After all said and done with the clear soles, I am now having 2nd thoughts about even using them :(

I am looking for another way to achieve the clear soles.

Are you going to release the pepakura files of the heel cup and strap holder?

are they to soft for everyday use or to hard? and how much did it cost you .

Mine have a shore hardness of OC80A. According to the info posted by Cloneprops, real runners use rubber with a shore hardness of OC60A and he was even thinking of using OC45A, so mine will be a bit harder. I wanted them to last and based on the samples I got to see, both OC45A and OC60A were a bit too soft IMO, so I made the decision to go with OC80A.

That 1.8KG kit I bought cost me just $200. I didn't really know what I was doing with the stuff and as a result, ended up with one useable sheet, so an expensive pair of soles and I'm not done yet or even sure if I will actually use this. If I had succeeded, the same kit could have made up to 8 pairs. $200 / 8 = $25 and so that is like $12.50 per shoe! But to do this properly, one needs a vacuum chamber [I sold mine in 2006] and a way to keep the stuff at somewhere between 25~30* C. As we are in winter here, average day temps are below 20*C and so the stuff needs to be heated and kept warm to set properly.

Are you going to release the pepakura files of the heel cup and strap holder?

Sure. If you would like the ankle strap buckle, please email me [cavx01@hotmail.com] as I don't think I can attach it here. I have not completed the heel cup yet. I didn't get a 3D model or print made from the file as the thieves here want $350 for the one part.

mine have a shore hardness of oc80a. According to the info posted by cloneprops, real runners use rubber with a shore hardness of oc60a and he was even thinking of using oc45a, so mine will be a bit harder. I wanted them to last and based on the samples i got to see, both oc45a and oc60a were a bit too soft imo, so i made the decision to go with oc80a.

That 1.8kg kit i bought cost me just $200. I didn't really know what i was doing with the stuff and as a result, ended up with one useable sheet, so an expensive pair of soles and i'm not done yet or even sure if i will actually use this. If i had succeeded, the same kit could have made up to 8 pairs. $200 / 8 = $25 and so that is like $12.50 per shoe! But to do this properly, one needs a vacuum chamber [i sold mine in 2006] and a way to keep the stuff at somewhere between 25~30* c. As we are in winter here, average day temps are below 20*c and so the stuff needs to be heated and kept warm to set properly.

Sure. If you would like the ankle strap buckle, please email me [cavx01@hotmail.com] as i don't think i can attach it here. I have not completed the heel cup yet. I didn't get a 3d model or print made from the file as the thieves here want $350 for the one part.

wow . You nailed it right on the head whats next a book deal for how to make nike mags (right ) hey sorry about the loss on the sheet but trail an error is the only way that it comes out perfect good times man keep on pushing for the best i say ...

wow . You nailed it right on the head whats next a book deal for how to make nike mags (right ) hey sorry about the loss on the sheet but trail an error is the only way that it comes out perfect good times man keep on pushing for the best i say ...

Thanks Carlos. The last time I went all out, the project blew out to about $85K! It was a world first though :) I won't be going that route again anytime soon. Just saying that when I get fixated on something, I don't give up easily :cool

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back