A Christmas Story 2

X2
I've tried watching it over the years but man it's boring.

That's the problem with current trends in video games and in the film industry... If it is not a fast paced, jerkey camera work, over the top action film, people lose interest and call it boring. The appreciation for clever writing and great story telling through the use of a film camera is lost to many people... It's just too boring. A Christmas Story is one of the smartest written Christmas movies around without the need to be all crafty or "artistic" to make is "weird" so people will rave over the intelligence factor.

Didn't like the original...
I've finally found the other person on the planet other than myself who doesn't like A Christmas Story!
X2...I've tried watching it over the years but man it's boring.
Well, that's four of us. I saw A Christmas Story when it was released in 1983, and walked out of the theater thinking it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.

Some time around the second or third year they started airing it for 24 straight hours at Christmas time, and after a discussion with a good friend about how the movie had become "beloved", I gave it a second chance. The second viewing reinforced my initial opinion.

A few questions for all you guys that didn't like it: do you also dislike any/all "family slice 'o life" themes based in the 30's - 40's? Are you under 40? Do you dislike Mark Twain?

It's ok if you don't like it; it's a pure nostalgia piece that typifies the life and times of our parents/grandparents. It strikes home with many people in the same way as National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because there are moments many of us can identify with.

Jean Shepherd was one of the greatest American storytellers of the 20th Century, IMHO. But you need to enjoy that style of storytelling, or you won't like his books, recorded works or movies based on his stories. What makes A Christmas Story special to Shep fans is that it's one of the few movies that made a faithful translation from print to celluloid.

Flick Lives!

That's the problem with current trends in video games and in the film industry... If it is not a fast paced, jerkey camera work, over the top action film, people lose interest and call it boring. The appreciation for clever writing and great story telling through the use of a film camera is lost to many people... It's just too boring. A Christmas Story is one of the smartest written Christmas movies around without the need to be all crafty or "artistic" to make is "weird" so people will rave over the intelligence factor.

It's not current though. It sucked back then to.:behave

WarPig summed up my thoughts on it pretty good. That isn't my Christmas from my childhood. Heck I don't even like Christmas. I just don't like the whole setting because it doesn't interest me.

EDIT* And to bring up the 24 hour marathon again. That's what killed The Iron Giant for me when it ran on Cartoonnetwork.

A few questions for all you guys that didn't like it: do you also dislike any/all "family slice 'o life" themes based in the 30's - 40's? Are you under 40? Do you dislike Mark Twain?

No, I just found the execution in this case to be far too precious, especially the narration and Billingsly's performance. Twain it ain't.

No, I just found the execution in this case to be far too precious, especially the narration and Billingsly's performance. Twain it ain't.

I don't think he was saying that it is written as well as Twain, he was saying it was as wholesome as Twain. It is such a tender hearted movie... As wholesome as Twain, a Norman Rockwell painting, etc...

Oh, I'll agree that its heart is solidly in the right place.

Oh, I'll agree that its heart is solidly in the right place.

And to me, that is what makes this film a true gem.
Too many Christmas movies today are lacking that heart or try to force the emotion. This film touched a nerve with so many because of the genuine touch put into it. And that credit goes to a list of people. Shepard for the writing, Clark for the subtle directing, Billingsley for his portrayal of Ralphie, and the acting of many others. This film could have been horrible if all those elements didn't line up... And they did. That is what made many classic Christmas movies in the past.

And I don't buy people saying they don't like it because "it doesn't remind me of my childhood Christmas". These same people usually have It's A Wonderful Life and White Christmas on their list of favorites.... And I am pretty sure no one had similar holiday experiences like that either. Those films had heart, warmth and sincere acting, the same as A Christmas story. Much like a Charlie Brown Christmas, it is one of those films that just fills you with warmth and brings a smile to your face :)

If you've ever read Twain... there's nothing wholesome about it. What it is, is honest.

It may not have wholesome subject matter at times but compared to crap spewed today, and the over the top subject matter written today, it is considered by many to be "safe good reading" for youngsters. Many Twain novels are on the classic children's literature list for a reason. Wholesome? Not always, but classic American literature it is. Just as classic as Rockwell, apple pie and baseball :lol

I'm not saying Twain isn't fine literature. What I am saying is that, in just The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (and not the sanitized version, the as penned by Twain version) Huckleberry is an abused child, who's father is a drunk, and is trying to steal his money... so he fakes his own death. Not exactly child friendly reading.

It's a great book.

So.... Heard this was out in the stores. Anyone buy it? Any reviews?
I bought it on Blu-Ray. It was actually very well done, decently cast (although the old man could have been someone else IMHO), and over all, did achieve some of the mystique of hte original. I'd rank it #3 out of the 4 ACS movies.

I'm 45. Again, I don't find fault with the spirit of the movie, it just wasn't executed in a way I like. (I don't mean to keep posting negativity in the thread, just answering a question. :) )

Last edited:

It's ok if you don't like it; it's a pure nostalgia piece that typifies the life and times of our parents/grandparents. It strikes home with many people in the same way as National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because there are moments many of us can identify with.

Flick Lives!
Obviously, I can't speak for anyone but myself. No, I don't dislike "'family slice 'o life' themes based in the 30s-40s"; in fact, I have an affinity for movies set in the 30s and 40s if they're done well. Also, I'm currently 51 years old, and I think Twain is brilliant. To my knowledge, A Christmas Story is the only exposure I've had to any of Jean Shepherd's work, so I can't speak to that.

As for nostalgia and identifying with the movie, I think that is certainly one of the reasons I don't particularly care for it. I was born and raised, and still live, in southern California, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. I have no "warm memories" of snow during the winter months or of growing up in the midwest, so those aspects presented in the movie are completely lost on me. On a side note, my wife grew up in the suburbs outside of Chicago, and she thought the movie was "stupid" (her word, not mine).

A bigger issue for me is the so-called "humor" in the movie. I didn't think it was funny at all. That may be because I can't relate to the situations or the characters, or perhaps because it's not my type of humor, but it is what it is. BTW, I don't like any of the National Lampoon movies either.

And, finally, I don't like Bob Clark's movies. Except for one--Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. And that's not because it's a great movie, or even a good one for that matter. But it's the first zombie movie I ever saw, so I have a "nostalgic" soft spot for it (see what I did there? :D).

But these are just my opinions. I'm sure there are movies I like that others hate. Not only am I okay with that, I prefer it that way; the world would be a boring place if we all liked everything equally.

Last edited:
How old are you guys?

How you CANNOT love the original is beyond me. You and I must have had DRASTICALLY different childhoods if you cannot relate.

I'm 24 and it's not like I don't like older stuff like that I just don't get that fuzzy feeling watching it. I think it's odd that out of everything this is the thing you can't believe people don't like. Christmas is just a day to me.:cry

I will say they should not have made another one though. It does cheapen what the first had going for it but again, opinions.:thumbsup

A Christmas Story called "a timeless classic?" I had never heard of this movie before until about 6 years ago when they started pushing it on TV every year claiming it was a "classic" movie AND the unfortunate marketing push for merchandise began shortly afterwards. Christmas junk being sold at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target only to end up on the Clearance shelves.

Now they are trying to push yet an "official sequel?" Sometimes I wonder about who is behind the business hoping to eek out maybe $100 million dollars out of the direct to Blu-Ray and merchandising. Hopefully to earn another title of "yet another timeless classic" in about 10-15 years.

Oh brother......rant over!

You want timeless classics try It's A Wonderful Life!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back