66 Miata Batmobile Build

Boy, I'm really behind on updating! - time seems to slip by, but I have made some real progress.
So here goes.

I got a belt sander to sand the chipboard more even. It did a lot of good but also created a couple dozen spots of 'burn through', basically holes in my skin. I'm still not sure what was worse - the high spots or the holes.

View attachment 77600

View attachment 77601

View attachment 77602

I sealed the wounds and thin spots up with super glue to at least stabilize them.

So I did a double thick glaze of polyester resin over the whole thing.
The sanded chipboard soaked it up pretty good, and it stiffened the skin.

Only problem is this: despite calmer temperatures and every possible precaution (barrier cream, sleeves, Tyvek suit, respirator, nitrile gloves), I seem to be increasingly allergized / sensitized to some chemical in poly resin, as well as bondo, as well as poly spray foam.
Working with this stuff makes me creepy crawly miserbable for days after use. But more on this later.

The setup:
View attachment 77603

The glazed front:
View attachment 77604

Bondopocalypse

So I tried using Bondo to start smoothing out the lumpies.
It didn't go so good. On top of the allergy thing, when I sanded down the bondo it sanded through the chipboard and into the poly foam behind it.
Then I dremeled out the visible poly foam areas (like they were cavities in teeth) and filled those areas with bondo, but when I sanded that down it burned through new areas and I was back to where I started.

View attachment 77605

View attachment 77606

View attachment 77607

View attachment 77608

Dang.

very very cool thanks for the progress its inching along. I would suggest you get a orbital disc sander if you have a compressor to go thru the next phases of body work. Using a belt sander on a body like that is about impossible and dangerous. Also you might want to look into feather lite body filler its not as allergy reactive I dont think and is a far superior product to regular old Bondo brand body filler.

Last edited:
Turning Point.

So this was sort of a breaking point for me -
The itchies from my chemical allergy were making me miserable, if not sick.
So I decided that I'm going to finish this with only non-toxic materials. If I have to have it sprayed with resin, I'll take it to a professional to spray and leave it there until it cures.

To get it to that point (spray ready) I've decided to use indoor/outdoor spackle instead of bondo to finish off the body, and then I'll coat it with several coats of flat black paint and then decide what to do next - I might have it sprayed with hard-shell poly plastic coat, or I might have it wrapped in vinyl. The spackle will probably need something on top of it to hold it together for the long run.

In any case I'm returning to my original idea, which is a rough hewn homemade Batmobile with a few wobbles and rough edges.

Thanks Batfan.
Looks like we posted at the same time.
Orbital sander? I'll look into it. I've just gotten used to the belt sander, and I work with it instead of against it. (I hold it so that it holds itself up against gravity).

Bat 01

Well here's a nice piece of progress.
I got a custom Blackplate license plate!
BAT 01 was previously taken, but I randomly did a search on the plate site one day and it was available, so I snatched it up then and there.
I registered it for ten years.
I used my old license plates to make black-out frames.
View attachment 77609

Re: Bat 01

Well here's a nice piece of progress.
I got a custom Blackplate license plate!
BAT 01 was previously taken, but I randomly did a search on the plate site one day and it was available, so I snatched it up then and there.
I registered it for ten years.
I used my old license plates to make black-out frames.
View attachment 77609

Wow, nicely done.

Sorry about the allergies. Hope you can still manage to finish this, cos I'm really enjoying the thread.

Spackletacular.

Thanks guys!
I'm determined to get something that drives around, even if it's done by any (non-allergenic) means necessary.

I tried three varieties, and the spackle I ended up liking the most is 'Ready Patch' (available at HD), which has an Alklyd base and mineral spirits in it. It's stinky but I'm not allergic to it. It cures really hard like bondo to the point that it's almost hard to sand. I'd recommend it as an alternative to bondo (for the right project of course). It also has a long pot life, so you can get it close to the shape you want with the spatula and then have less to grind off later.

Here's some spackle:

View attachment 77669

View attachment 77671

View attachment 77670

Primer

I can't believe it - I've reached the word 'primer' in this build.
Though I'm far from finished with even the front half, at this point the word 'primer' alone is enough to bring a feeling of satisfaction. Pathetic.

Yesterday I sanded the spackle smooth and applied the first coat of primer. It's nice to finally see the body all one color.
The primer definitely shows me where I need to focus the second coat of spackle, but it's amazing how much the first coat did.

At this point the skin has the warble and wobble of an old aluminum airplane that's seen some serious action. A lot of the gouges and divits will get filled in, but because the chipboard skin still has a lot of give and flex to it, I can tell that there's no way to get the wobble out completely.

Next I'll do the first coat of spackle and primer on the front/grill/nose area, then the second coat of spackle and primer over the whole thing.

So here's the primer:

View attachment 77672

View attachment 77673

So glad to see you found a product you can work with. When putting on the second coat of spackle- use a straight edge like the edge of a paint stick or better yet a wide drywall blade for mudding to assist in a straighter coat between layers. If you don't already do that. Best of luck.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back