3D Printed Samus Varia Suit - FINISHED! (Pics on pg.14)

Re: 3D Printed Samus Varia Suit

The painted worbla pieces look excellent. Really glad you found that stuff, it looks like it'll make your suit even better than it was going to be!

I actually haven't painted the worbla yet. The painted pieces in the pictures are either 3d prints (not getting worbla'd) or foam (painted before I realized it was cracking). And yeah, I'm really glad too! I'm excited to see it painted.

Oh, well, regardless of that the paint work looks excellent. You've scrounged up the perfect colour :)

Awesome work I love samus : ) and this is something to think about after my amazing spiderman build..goodluck man

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I'm back! I've been pretty limited by the weather lately. I can't work on anything with fumes in my apartment on account of my bunny, and I don't have a place to work on really messy things. I can keep dust from sanding mostly contained in my bathtub so I've been working on sanding my bondo'd worbla bicep armor and 3d prints. The bicep is ready for the test coat of primer (which of course I can't spray because it's too cold outside). Yesterday I also successfully made the elbow ribbing:

20JvLjR.jpgxvEFOQw.jpg

I cut black surgical tubing in half lengthwise and superglued them against each other on my mannequin. Fortunately the superglue does not adhere to the duct tape! It sorta sticks to it a little but very little force will pop it right off. Easy!

It's not the prettiest - I accidentally got glue on some areas that should be clean but you can barely tell, the seam down the back isn't the neatest, and they're slightly more angled than I would have liked. I may use this as the final, or just consider it practice and redo it so it looks nicer and it's easier to make the other arm match.

The flexibility of this thing is amazing. As I predicted, the arced tubes create space for it to compress and decompress, plus it's rubber, so it allows a good range of movement. I can go about 90 degrees with my arm before it starts to get really tight, but that's really all I need anyway. It's also surprisingly durable. The superglue doesn't crack and break like you'd think. It fuses the rubber together so well that you'd have to really abuse it to get it to come apart. I bent my elbow as hard as I could many times to see if I could break the back seam (which runs directly across the point of my elbow so it can hide mostly under the elbow armor) and nothing was coming apart. Woo!

The glue makes it a bit rough on the inside so I'm first going to try sanding the sharp edges. If that doesn't help then I'll do something to cover them up. It's possible that my unitard will be enough protection but if it's going to snag the unitard then I want to do something to protect it.

Last edited:

Massive picture dump! There are too many to post here so be sure to check out the rest!
Click here to see the rest of the pictures!

782XG1w.jpgqZM7yTg.jpgsBazGvM.jpghYyaopH.jpgy72OQno.jpgQ6bjmgP.jpgjRzPKhU.jpgcaLFtus.jpg

Most of this is stuff I already had done before PAX last year but never took pictures of. The new things are:

- The helmet: it's been painted but needs some wet sanding to really shine (and hopefully remove a little of the orange peel). I did start grunging it up a bit with some black paint. I'm okay with the wet sanding messing that up if necessary; if that happens it'll be easy to redo.

- The arm cannon: the big section of the cannon is all sanded and ready for primer. I printed the cannon in pieces so I could have wiggle room while figuring out how to put the lights in the gaps between the rings (also so it could fit in the printer bed). I had to balance the pieces against the back of the couch while taking pictures, so it looks a little wonky; it will eventually be attached together with an interior structure.

- The first bicep: since I previously bondo'd it I have sanded it, primed it, and added some touch up bondo. After it's sanded again it will be ready for a new coat of primer and then paint!

Sanding these things has been taking a very long time, so I decided to buy myself a new toy:

Dremel-MM40-01-rw-264766-369993.jpg
It's a Dremel Multi-Max MM40, and it's awesome! It makes sanding sooo much easier! The triangular sanding attachment lets me get into relatively tight areas and the super detailed stuff I can just sand by hand. It also has a cutting and chipping attachment which I'm sure I can find some sort of use for eventually.

Last edited:

Blown away, this is amazing 3d printing right here, and even better post-print finishing! I definitely don't have the patience this is requires.

This is an awesome build! I can't wait to see it finished and you suited up! Great job!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That helmet is stunning, nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what type of red did you use? Did you also paint the tubes and chin detail in black or are they a shade of grey?

Keep it up!

That helmet is stunning, nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what type of red did you use? Did you also paint the tubes and chin detail in black or are they a shade of grey?

Keep it up!

Thanks!

The red paint is Dupli-Color Barcelona Red Metallic, and the gray tubes and grill are Dupli-Color Storm Gray Metallic. The right tube has black acrylic on it too.

Thanks!

The red paint is Dupli-Color Barcelona Red Metallic, and the gray tubes and grill are Dupli-Color Storm Gray Metallic. The right tube has black acrylic on it too.

Nice, thanks for the details. I recently picked up a Samus Varia Suit helmet and have been looking for ideas of what shade of red to use - yours is a great source of inspiration :)

dayumm! this is looking great, when can we expect a mock-up pic??

There are several pieces of armor that I can't actually wear yet without holding it on, but I suppose I could take a pic of the rest at some point!

This weekend I started an experiment in hopes of reducing the weight of the shoulders. I had the idea to do a sort of vacuforming-esque technique using worbla to create a shell around the heavy 3d printed shoulders. Unfortunately worbla sticks to most things like glue so I figured vaseline might work as a releaser; after a few tests I determined that it does. It melts quite a bit when using the heat gun, but even if it runs off there's still enough residue for the worbla to not stick. In some ways this may actually be easier than actual vacuforming, especially for me. First off, I don't have anywhere to put a vacuformer in my apartment. Also either way that I do it, I'll still have to attach multiple pieces back together after forming it, and worbla just seems easier to me. Plus, I can reheat worbla if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, here's a pic of my progress from yesterday:
p93HleX.jpg
I'm going to have to cut it off in quite a few pieces since it's a near-sphere shape and those grooves are a tad wider on the most inner part than the outer part, making it impossible to pull it straight off.

As far as putting it all back together, I'm not exactly sure yet. I definitely can't use anything with heat (no sticking worbla to itself, no hot glue). I'm thinking maybe some glue to keep it in place, then fiberglassing the inside. Hopefully resin doesn't eat worbla. Has anyone combined the two yet? If that doesn't work, I'm sure I'll think of something else. Either way the inside needs to be reinforced.

Today I started wet sanding. I wasn't satisfied with the paint finish on my helmet, especially in this one spot on the back where it was almost matte. It's super hard to capture in photos, but here's the best I could get:
CCsfWuB.jpgpC5aD1v.jpgseJXCDd.jpg
The left side on both the helmet and the arm armor is what has been sanded and polished. It's so smooth and shiny! It looks amazing.

The paint job looks freaking awesome so far! I'm really looking forward to seeing the helmet with the visor installed. And I'm really really looking forward to the whole suit put together!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back