3D Printed Iron Man Mark VII - WIP

Hey ferrous I tried a bicep obj file and followed your shell thickening tutorial and it came out horrible, not sure why but I'll keep tinkering with it. Hows your project coming along so far?

Hey joonbug1, adding thickness and modifying obj files for 3D printing can definitely be a challenge. Keep on tinkering and you'll get it. I'd advise that you always keep the original version saved so you can go back and try different things. Each piece will require different tweaks to make the model printable. After awhile, you'll be able to see those areas that will give you trouble ahead of time and you can have an idea of the tweaks you'll need to make.

Real Life kind of got in the way of me making any real progress over the weekend. I did get the jaw printed out. I cut it into two pieces and printed it that way. I'll get some pics and a video up soon.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to modify the main part of the helmet so I can have the lower back portion of it move and rotate up instead of being removable. I want to have a second mode programmed into it that will be a "don/remove" mode, that makes it open and close like in this .GIF:

IM helmet.gif

To do this, I need the back to rotate up and down, and I also need the ear cups to rotate and "screw" in and out. I want to print the helmet with all the proper joints, hinges, etc, so I won't have to do any serious modifications after printing. It's proving to be quite the challenge!

Last edited by a moderator:
I need the back to rotate up and down, and I also need the ear cups to rotate and "screw" in and out.!

I could barely squeeze hinges with a motor :D if can pull all this off as a display maybe, wearable good luck... To bad in the movies its all digital...:)

I could barely squeeze hinges with a motor :D if can pull all this off as a display maybe, wearable good luck... To bad in the movies its all digital...:)
No doubt it's a challenge for sure! I know I can't replicate the CGI perfectly, but I'll squeeze what I can in there with what mechanical engineering skills I have. I'll be relying on some creative gearing and cabling most likely.

At least I'm not trying to make it fly!

Thanks for the tip ferrous ill keep trying also, You should check out www.therealtonystarks.com he has a video on his helmet. I purchased his servo mechanism, he's really good.
joonbug1 yes, Ryan and I have many of the same thoughts on the design of the helmet. About a year and a half ago when I first started learning pepakura and working on my helmet I wanted to make the back retract inward, but I knew it would be a big challenge. I'm working on a similar technique to Ryan's but have some improvements in mind.

He definitely does some good work. I'm sad to see his thread sort of died off. I guess he got busy like we all do.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back