3d Printed Doctor Who Props by Doctor Octoroc (building & finishing thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would look awesome like that. With that color scheme it would look quite sinister. It could even pass as a nice sonic for the Master.

I just started listening to the audio play Dark Eyes, which is the one that features the Doctor with his alternate costume and sonic on the cover. So far they've made mention of his sonic, described as a "penny whistle" that makes buzzing sounds. No mention of the light or crystal and the Alt. sonic doesn't look like a penny whistle at all. They also mention his velvet jacket and call him a "proper gentleman." So... I don't know if his new sonic and costume were anything other than for promo shots. I'm only about a half hour in, though, so this could change. This is an exceptional story so far.

His companion Molly is introduced in this play, and she is one who was named in Night of the Doctor, so you can argue this is a "canon" story. If Doctor Who has any kind of canon at all, that is.

Anyway, my TVM 8th sonic is coming along well.
With flash and without:
2013-11-17_04-39-45_729_zps7f900a0a.jpg
2013-11-17_04-40-11_415_zpse69aef00.jpg

It is from one of your kits!
I sealed the pieces with the super glue / acetone trick from this thread. From there I brushed on liberal coats of clear nail polish to help get rid of the texture. Then it was the typical paint - sand - paint - sand for a few layers. I wasn't satisfied with the shine of the model paint I was using so I sprayed on some Rust-oleum silver from wal-mart. It has the best metallic silver finish I've ever used, but it is really moody. It doesn't want to dry and if you try to seal it with anything, the shine seems to bleed away. I actually kind of hate it, but it makes a pretty finish as long as you don't touch it.
Here's my "finished" version. It has some finger prints I'll need to sand and repaint, but that's easy.
2013-11-17_16-04-04_224_zps4884373c.jpg
2013-11-17_16-04-11_907_zpsf4154bb5.jpg
2013-11-17_16-04-35_348_zpsb1ea11db.jpg

It is from one of your kits!
I sealed the pieces with the super glue / acetone trick from this thread. From there I brushed on liberal coats of clear nail polish to help get rid of the texture. Then it was the typical paint - sand - paint - sand for a few layers. I wasn't satisfied with the shine of the model paint I was using so I sprayed on some Rust-oleum silver from wal-mart. It has the best metallic silver finish I've ever used, but it is really moody. It doesn't want to dry and if you try to seal it with anything, the shine seems to bleed away. I actually kind of hate it, but it makes a pretty finish as long as you don't touch it.
Here's my "finished" version. It has some finger prints I'll need to sand and repaint, but that's easy.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/2013-11-17_16-04-04_224_zps4884373c.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/2013-11-17_16-04-11_907_zpsf4154bb5.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/GiantSlor/2013-11-17_16-04-35_348_zpsb1ea11db.jpg

I'm gonna second Doc Octoroc's "holy crap!" here...that looks absolutely GORGEOUS...a shame that the paint has those issues, though...perhaps you could display it in a shadowbox with some pictures or other items of McGann's Doctor to preserve the finish?

Thanks! The plan now is to have a few items from each Doctor collected in a little area on a shelf. I have his two-hearts x-ray from the movie that will be lit up, along with his Tardis key, now his sonics and I'll have his "John Doe" toe tag to go with it.

I just finished up "Dark Eyes" and there's no mention of the new costume or sonic. He's obviously supposed to be in his TVM costume with his TVM (or similar) sonic. He briefly mentions that he keeps upgrading his sonic to be more useful, and also calls it kind of big, but all other descriptions are consistent with his usual sonic.
The only difference to his TVM appearance would be that he may have had a hair cut (they say he has long hair, and he replies "it's been longer.") so he may even be in his "Night of the Doctor" costume by now. But there's no way to tell. The only thing that's certain is that he isn't in a leather coat and jeans.
This is kind of disappointing. But oh well. There will be plenty of opportunities to work it in because I doubt they will stop these plays any time soon.

Doc--

It sounds like there's still talk of a 2nd batch of SSs.
If so, I'd like to add my name to the list for qty-1 Doctor-8-standard-Sonic-Screwdriver, plus an electronics kit.

I realize the Doc-8 SS isn't electronics-ready, but I won't let that stand in my way!

--Paul E Musselman

Doc--

It sounds like there's still talk of a 2nd batch of SSs.
If so, I'd like to add my name to the list for qty-1 Doctor-8-standard-Sonic-Screwdriver, plus an electronics kit.

I realize the Doc-8 SS isn't electronics-ready, but I won't let that stand in my way!

--Paul E Musselman

I don't have the capability to offer a sound package for any of these so I'm not sure what would go into that aside from a couple of wires. The electronics kits were for the light up sonics and the standard 8th doesn't even have a push button so that wouldn't be in the kit either. Did you have something else in mind?

That's the only thing I was upset about was that he didn't use his alternative one. It probably got destroyed and he went back to using the classic? Looking forward to seeing Hurt's sonic a bit closer and clearer as well. Any word on a second run sir?

Day Of The Doctor "War Doctor" Sonic Screwdriver available for pre-order on Entertainment Earth.

UT05152lg.jpg

It's confirmed that it's a modified CO Tom Baker SS, so here's a better pic of what they'll offer officially.

I wasn't satisfied with the shine of the model paint I was using so I sprayed on some Rust-oleum silver from wal-mart. It has the best metallic silver finish I've ever used, but it is really moody. It doesn't want to dry and if you try to seal it with anything, the shine seems to bleed away. I actually kind of hate it, but it makes a pretty finish as long as you don't touch it.

I had the same issue with the blades on the Hidden Blade I just wrapped up. Rust-Oleum silver was the smoothest metal I've ever sprayed, but the paint rubs off if you so much as look at it funny.

What I wound up doing was dipping the parts in Future/Pledge acrylic floor polish. It sealed in the paint without dimming the sheen like some of the other clear coats I've used. It even has some nice self-smoothing properties which might help with the nylon prints.

Just a friendly reminder, this is not a sales or interest thread. If you are looking to buy something, please search the Junkyard and Project Runs forums as that is where all the selling takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back