10+ years too late to the party - Creating my own Hattori Hanzo Bride Katana from "Kill Bill"

mburkit

Greetings Everyone!

After recently watching the video that Adam Savage had posted 2 years ago on Tested.com regarding his replica of the Bride's katana from "Kill Bill;" I was reminded that I too have a cheap, $60 dollar stainless steel replicate I bought back in 2008. After realizing how horribly inaccurate my katana was, I felt compelled to try to create myself a more accurate replacement for my collection. This led to hours of searching the internet.

Down the rabbit hole we go. . .

After searching, I realized that no one makes an accurate replica for sale. There have been some created here on the RPF, but that is about it. That led me to the conclusion that I will have to try to replicate what Jason Blakey had done for his replica. Going down his path though leads to some challenges. First, the fuchi kashira used on the screen used props appears to have been discontinued almost 10 years ago and are extremely difficult to find. Second, I do not have a CNC machine to complete the engraving myself on an accurate Japanese Iaito blade.

Because of these barriers to entry, I have to take a slightly different route. I would have to purchase an already created sword then modify it to be more accurate. After scouring the internet, I found one on eBay that I felt I could work with. It is a T10 spring steel blade that has been differentially hardened. This particular sword has many inaccuracies; but I purchased it for a few reasons. First, I liked the quality of the Foo Dog on the blade. Second, it had the most accurate fuchi kashira on the tsuka that I could find. Lastly, they let me modify the sword slightly by getting a real leather ito wrap and allowed me to swap out the inaccurate saya for a plain, gloss black one at no extra cost. I also liked the quality of the real hamon on the blade.

Honhon Sword - 1.jpgHonhon Sword - 2.jpgHonhon Sword - 3.jpgHonhon Sword - 4.jpgHonhon Sword - 5.jpgHonhon Sword - 6.jpgHonhon Sword - 7.jpgHonhon Sword - 8.jpgHonhon Sword - 9.jpgHonhon Sword - 10.jpgHonhon Sword - 11.jpgHonhon Sword - 12.jpg

My plan is to replace some of the fittings on the sword, and then do my best to create an accurate saya from the plain black one that will be coming with the sword. This means I will need to take a stab at trying to carve the imagery into the saya myself, by hand. These are the fittings that I was able to source for this build. The kojiri is a 3D print designed by Jason Blakey that I am having printed in brass, then chemically aging myself.

Tsuba.pngMenuki.pngSageo.pngKojiri.png

I also purchased some mylar tape for the sides of the saya and a 6mm ring that I will need to shape to fit onto the saya.
My biggest worry is the carving of the symbols into the saya. I feel that replacing hardware on the tsuka itself won't be hard, unless I end up having to rewrap the leather myself to get the menuki on there. We will see once I get the sword within a month.

In the end, I hope I can get somewhere close to this.
2.jpg
Wish me luck! I will post updates as all the parts show up and I start on my adventure.

Slight update.

I was pointed in the direction of a place to obtain the correct fuchi kashira. They have now been paid for. Now it is just a waiting game for all the parts to show up from China and Japan. Most of the stuff I ordered probably won't show up until March.

fuchi kashira 4.jpgfuchi kashira 5.jpg

I also reached out to a sword company I have purchased from in the past that did custom carving on my own personal katana. I want to see if they are willing to do the carvings for me on a black saya. Then I can do the rest of the modifications to it. I sent them reference material. Let's see if they are willing to do it for me, without me purchasing a blade from them at the same time.

Here is my personal katana that they did custom carving on the Saya and etching on the blade and habachi. I don't think it is beyond their ability to do accurate Hattori Hanzo carvings. . .

IMG2_20230111_155010.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very common issue. Threads last forever, but the availability of items does not. Congrats on diving into this project, anyway. It looks like you have a good start!

This is a very common issue. Threads last forever, but the availability of items does not. Congrats on diving into this project, anyway. It looks like you have a good start!
Thank you! Yeah I am excited to really get into this build. It is painful waiting for all the parts to show up. I am not looking forward to some of the new skills I will have to develop for this; such as rewrapping the grip (tsuka) and attempting to hand carve the scabbard (saya).

looks like a great start! as soon as I have a decent chunk of change I plan on making this. One of the most beautiful props IMO

What was the original base sword you bought for this? i looked up a T10 blade and found this but dont know if its accurate: KILL BILL KATANA Handmade T10 STEEL CLAY TEMPERED JAPANESE SAMURAI SWORD | eBay
This is the one that I ordered. Originally, I ordered it because some of the hardware on the sword was the closest I could find to being accurate. I was fearful that I would not be able to find the accurate parts so if I had to, I would stick with what was on the sword. The scabbard (or saya) is completely wrong though. When I bought the sword, I asked for them to provide just a generic gloss black scabbard instead so that I could attempt to carve the symbols into it myself. They switched out the scabbard for me at no extra charge.

Kill Bill Sword Clay Tempered T10 Steel Japanese Katana

My Chinese made Katana showed up today. As a base, I feel it's a solid base to start with. I wish the foo dog was closer to the spine of the blade, but other than that, I am okay with this. Now I just need the rest of the parts to show up so I can start to replace the hardware with more accurate parts.

PXL_20230221_183837903.jpgPXL_20230221_183845018.jpgPXL_20230221_183857861.jpgPXL_20230221_183849518.jpgPXL_20230221_190716948.jpgPXL_20230221_190901907.jpg

Last edited:
My Chinese made Katana showed up today. As a base, I feel it's a solid base to start with. I wish the food dog was closer to the spine of the blade, but other than that, I am okay with this. Now I just need the rest of the parts to show up so I can start to replace the hardware with more accurate parts.

View attachment 1672291View attachment 1672292View attachment 1672293View attachment 1672294View attachment 1672295View attachment 1672296
doesn't look bad at all! once you add those other pieces I think it will bring it all together

Some more hardware showed up. Once I get the fuchi kashira, I will have to attempt to unwrap and rewrap the leather ito of the handle. I may also try to shave down the sides of the handle so it has more of an hourglass look.

PXL_20230222_214609664.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think it is necessary to unwrap the handle to change the menukis ????
I think I will. The sword maker that made my base sword actually did a good job wrapping the ito; it's nice and tight. The down side is now I will need to develop a new skill.

Yes, that is what bother me actually.......unwrap the whole handle and re-do it !!! I was thinking to "slide" one menuki and inserting the new one at the same time.....

What size did you choose for the Menukis ??

Also on the Kojiri, if we look at the screen-used model, it looks black with gold accents so, I was tempted to buy the matte black steel and paint the gold parts !!!

What size did you choose for the Menukis ??

Also on the Kojiri, if we look at the screen-used model, it looks black with gold accents so, I was tempted to buy the matte black steel and paint the gold parts !!!
I believe they only had one size for the menuki on their website. I got the brass kojiri and I like how it turned out.

Here it is after I painted it along with the brass ring I made for the Saya.
PXL_20230223_224446761.MP.jpg

Along with installing the kojiri, I took a stab at carving the symbols into the Saya. I also sewed my sageo together like the screen used swords.

PXL_20230224_044405511.jpgPXL_20230224_044416285.jpgPXL_20230224_044424065.jpg

I still need to make the koiguchi reinforcement ring then this saya will be done. I also have a second one coming from a supplier that made my own personal katana. We'll see if they do any better than I did with the carvings. If they do, I'll scrap this saya and move the ring and kojiri over to it.

At this point, I am just waiting on the fuchi kashira to show up, then I will tackle the handle.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back