1:1 Landspeeder Project - Completed!

Re: 1:1 Landspeeder Project - VIDEO on Page 18!!!

Holy Cow...Great pics Gino!

I've always wondered how the engines mounted originally. If I would have seen these pics a year ago, I probably would have tried to replicate it on this speeder.

You got any more you care to share? :love

Jason

Hey Womo, here's a couple behind the scenes pics I took of the Landspeeder being uncrated and assembled.
They show one of the engines before being attached.
Don't know if this will help you or not, but at the very least thought you might find it interesting.

PS, I love this project!

landspeeder2.jpg

landspeeder1.jpg

wow:thumbsup

thanks Gino!!!

I've always wondered how the engines mounted originally. If I would have seen these pics a year ago, I probably would have tried to replicate it on this speeder.

Jason

I wish I had known then.
I have a lot more, but they are big pics. Send me an email.
Not sure how interesting all the others are in comparison to the removed engine.

The burner can (IG-88 head) nozzel/exhaust/top/whatever piece is shipped and on its way to you.

Scott

Hey, Jason (and Wayne adn Gino and--well, everybody...)--

That's not the original mounting system. The landspeeder was painted green for Episode One and used as a background prop in Mos Espa. After it made it's way back to the states, it was sent to the ILM Modelshop for restoration back to the orangy-tan colors in anticipation of this exhibition. At that point, they removed the gas engine that was in there and installed those mounts, as the original system was nothing more than two 1/2" (or equivalent) bolts. The bolt system was awkward for attaching the engines, so this slicker, easier method was incorporated.

--Don

Jason

well I've got the old school bolts...so I guess I'm kinda accurate :)

Hey Don...Long time no speak :)

That's interesting about the repaint. I knew it happened, but I always thought they had placed something over it (like tape) before painting to protect the original finish. I seem to remember that being a technique used when you needed to repaint the R2's.

Were you involved in the repaint?

Also...I've been wondering how the windshield mounts to the speeder...Does it just sit on top now, or is it attached some way?

Thanks,
Jason

Hey, Jason (and Wayne adn Gino and--well, everybody...)--

That's not the original mounting system. The landspeeder was painted green for Episode One and used as a background prop in Mos Espa. After it made it's way back to the states, it was sent to the ILM Modelshop for restoration back to the orangy-tan colors in anticipation of this exhibition. At that point, they removed the gas engine that was in there and installed those mounts, as the original system was nothing more than two 1/2" (or equivalent) bolts. The bolt system was awkward for attaching the engines, so this slicker, easier method was incorporated.

--Don

Hey Don,
I suppose I shouldn't be, but I am just shocked that the decision would made to take a historical film artifact like the ANH landspeeder and defile it for something as trivial as a background piece in a subsequent movie. Is there really THAT little regard for these pieces?
Was it really worth losing some of the history of that prop for something so insignificant and that could have so easily been replaced with a CGI version?
Seeing as how they seem to prefer using CGI over practical models in most cases anyway.

I realize that LFL views them as film props/tools to be utilized in any fashion they see fit to meet their needs, but at what point does a 'prop' cross over into becoming an important film artifact worthy of being preserved in it's original state (if ever)?

Last edited:

but at what point does a prop cross over into the real of important film artifact worthy of being preserved in it's original state (if ever)?

The DEATH STAR got left behind at a storage facility, and nearly trashed. I think the answer to that is obvious. Never.

Mic, you're totally right.
But wasn't the trashing of the DS more a case of them not realizing exactly what they were throwing out? I don't know the story as well as others do.

Well that's exactly the point.

They didn't know they were throwing out arguably the most iconic item they had. How does that happen?

It seems that the few years Don was in charge of the archives were the only years that any care was given to anything. And I am pretty sure even Don fought an up hill battle.

But they are there to make movies, not build a museum. It's their call. Everyone has priorities.

But they are there to make movies, not build a museum. It's their call. Everyone has priorities.

The LFL archives have real archivists on staff like a museum (they have degrees in preservation). They treat everything like historical pieces when on tour - white gloves, intricate packing crates and custom displays.

I'm really surprised at the treatment of the landspeeder as well.
The Death Star was thrown out after ANH was finished before there was any idea how big the movie would be. The landspeeder was refinished for Ep1 after LFL had already started museum tours of the props as historical film artifacts.

Not quite true--about the landspeeder...

There were two landspeeders that survived until 1987 when I arrived. One was hollow, used on the crane arm to simulate hovering; the other the one you see on display, intact with engine. One of the very first tasks I was entrusted with when starting at the archives (bear in mind, I was a model maker who knew about Star Wars and hired to clean up the archives) was to dump the hollow version to make more room. I personally oversaw a teamster crush it beyond recognition with a forklift and haul it off to the dump. Two things survived: The windscreen and an engine...I was able to keep those.

In honor of it's fallen comrade, I personally restored the remaining landspeeder, making sure it had all its parts. It went on display at the Marin County Fair in 1988, and to Japan in 1993.

When the call came for props for Episode One, I had already left the archives. Nothing was sacred...for instance, all the R2s were shipped off, and even the working ones were pulled apart, reconfigured and repainted. The landspeeder was no different. I could tell you stories that would curl your *insert body part here*.

It took a long time to convince the powers that be that these things are more than props--and what convinced them the most was the ticket sales from exhibition tours.

Yes, the archive staff comes from a museum background. However, just like scores of museums around the world, the artifacts are treated better when traveling then they are when sitting in their facility--simply because they can insist that the responsible touring group do so. Believe me, there are many treasures still rotting away.

--Don

The LFL archives have real archivists on staff like a museum (they have degrees in preservation). They treat everything like historical pieces when on tour - white gloves, intricate packing crates and custom displays.

I'm really surprised at the treatment of the landspeeder as well.
The Death Star was thrown out after ANH was finished before there was any idea how big the movie would be. The landspeeder was refinished for Ep1 after LFL had already started museum tours of the props as historical film artifacts.

Always cool to hear about your experiences Don, no matter how painful it is to hear some of those realities.

Here's a pic of two ANH landspeeders being built.

anhlandspeeders.jpg

PS, I can't wait to see this project finished!
That video was just nuts.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back