Subscribe
    From
    Scotland
    Apr 26, 2013, 12:57 PM - what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #1

i don't normally use platinum silicone so unsure of what to use. i'm just using up a little i had.

i know this stuff is a bit awkward sometimes.

i have a piece that requires a 2 part mold. a bottom and a top.

the bottom is already poured, i need to stop the top pour from sticking to the lower.

what do i use?

i use spray wax and or vaseline on tin silicone no problem.

i did search google but f. all info.

please only reply if you actually know, not looking for guesses.

thanks

-z
    From
    Atlanta, Ga
    Apr 26, 2013, 2:56 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #2

I've used Mann "Ease Release 200" on Smooth-On platinum silicones (Mold Star & Rebound) and it's always worked very well for me with seam lines and multi part molds.

Edit: Before using this I also used Meguiar's Caranuba wax with no problems whatsoever.
  3. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    Worcester, Worcestershire UK
    Apr 26, 2013, 3:03 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #3

Don't use vaseline with Platium silicon's they sometimes react, any good brand mold release should do the job, spray the surface and sides of your box mold and let dry for a few moments before you pour.
    From
    Leland, NC
    Apr 26, 2013, 4:56 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #4

Smooth-on sells both platinum and tin cured silicone rubber for mold making. I'd give them a shout and see what they recommend. Since they sell the stuff too, it should be a one stop experience. Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More
    From
    NashVille, TN
    Apr 26, 2013, 5:08 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #5

Second on the Mann Ease Release 200. I've also had good results with their 205 release when casting EcoFlex10-30(platinum) into Rebound molds.

Be careful how much release agent you use - Too much and you can inhibit the surface. Too little and your parts may laminate together.

I'd recommend a thin, brushed-up layer of Sonite wax and then a light dusting of a release agent - 200/205,etc.
    From
    Canada
    Apr 26, 2013, 6:09 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #6

Mann Ease Release 200 is what you use for urethanes and you dont need anything for fiberglass.
    From
    Scotland
    Apr 26, 2013, 7:01 PM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #7

Thanks for the replies, just found Mann Ease Release 200 for sale in the u.k.

glad i didn't try the vaseline.

what about a spray wax?
    this is what i have.
    it works well with the tin silicone.
    Bonda AFH Spray Wax Release Agent 400ml - mbfg.co.uk
    will this inhibit the cure at all?
    i have just enough silicone for the top part of the mold.

having the top mold not cure due to the release agent i choose is my biggest worry.

cheers

-z
    Last edited by zorg; Apr 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM.
    From
    Scotland
    Apr 29, 2013, 1:32 AM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #8

update- well i tried the spray wax i had

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/release-wax-ag...afh_spray.html

and i put quite a lot on a test piece and the silicone cured no problem and did not stick to the other piece.

result!

-z
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Apr 29, 2013, 1:46 AM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #9

Glad to hear it all worked out, Z. I know it's after-the-fact, but I was going to recommend Chem Trend's MR-515 mold release agent. Works flawlessly with all silicones I've used!

Kind regards,
    Craig
    From
    Scotland
    Apr 29, 2013, 2:26 AM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #10

yeah for all the silicone i had left i didn't really want to buy some release. i don't think i'll buy platinum again, to be honest i didn't see much difference in performance from the usual tin stuff i use.

thanks again to those who replied
  11. RPF Premium Member bookface's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 29, 2013, 6:18 AM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #11

The difference in performance will come 6 months to a year down the line, when the tin silicones are falling apart.
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    Apr 29, 2013, 7:26 AM - Re: what release agent for platinum silicone molds? #12

Propsjonnyb said: View Post
    Don't use vaseline with Platium silicon's they sometimes react, any good brand mold release should do the job, spray the surface and sides of your box mold and let dry for a few moments before you pour.
    It is the old "test a small spot" because I have had no problem using Vaseline with Rebound and one of the other rubbers from SmoothOn (can't remember if it was Mold Star or Mold Max). Actually, I do have a problem in that I then spend a few minutes getting the Vaseline off of the part I am casting before I make the mold so I don't get brush strokes on the casts.