Tumbler question and answer thread. So you think it's fake? quality vids of it movin

doody

Sr Member
So I guess some guys think that the car is a plywood shell sitting on footstools or something? Here is where you get to ask me questions, technical or otherwise, ask me to go out take pics, of whatever area, etc. One guy called Vegta claimed this car is a fake from the get go, and challenged me to prove him wrong. Let's go for it!!.

first goto http://www.bobdullam.com look at all the stuff. all of it.
why you havent' seen it moving. waiting on a part. a counter rotation device, that will turn the drive shaft under the trans and engine, which are mounted in reverse. you'll see it all. lottsa passenger space. that was tough to do.

Some of you have challenged me, so let's not let this thread meandor into oblivion to page X, let's keep it going.

Last edited:
Re: Tumbler question and answer thread. So you think it's fake?

some shots of the engine before I dropped it in:

progress134.jpg

right after this, I put in the turbo 350 tci trans, got all that stuff hooked up, and started in on the firewall.

I am not sure where I saw this (maybe here) about 1 year ago, but awesome work. It looks great. How much past the frame is metal, looks like you built some fiberglass pieces.

The engine is obviously a scale model shot using forced perspective.

:lol
Only kidding Bob, great thread :thumbsup

I still can't believe you got trolled about this, but I guess I'm kind of glad you did. Now we get more juicy pics of this awesome work of art. Seriously, I was blown away the first time I saw it on some blog out in the interwebs. To actually find out that you were a member here? Just icing on the cake.

Fabulous work, truly.

Here's a question: I seem to remember after the first movie came out, that on one of the extras on the DVD they were talking to the guys who made the car. It was mentioned (again, to the best of my recollection) that the original had a BBC, a 427, I think. If that's true, what made you go with a 350? Size or price maybe? Did you ever look into anything else, like an LSx block?

Last edited:

I think bob said in the other thrtead that he went with the 350 cuz he grew up around musclecars.

Pfffft.

Building a scale model garage and house around a scale model car is just sad.

:lol

Yea I can't believe you got trolled either. :thumbsdown

Your work on that is outstanding. If I had a means to come see it in person I would. When I win the lottery I know who to call for my tumbler! :lol

Last edited:

I think bob said in the other thrtead that he went with the 350 cuz he grew up around musclecars.

Yeah, I saw that, but I just wondered why not a 427, or 454, or throw a 400 crank in there to stroke it, or etc. Just curious, really. I'm figuring price and parts availability, and maybe familiarity but wasn't sure if there was more to it.

what made me go with this engine was space(inside the engine area) and cost. When you add in the headers/mufflers(had to scratch build the headers nothing off the rack would even remotely fit), and all the control arms for the air foils, etc.. etc.. there isn't much room... tight. At this point I am having to become a human pretzel just to work on things. So according to specs: 44" tires, 5:1 gear ratio, 5500 rpms, 350 turbo, I should be able to spin some tires here. and get close to 150 mph. I'm happy. and the engine.. you feel the vibrations in the ground.
One thing I will say is that If I wasn't in as good of phyisical shape, I would not be able to do this. I am not exaggerating, this thing has required some serious lifting, and being able to work in really rediculous out-of-position situations. hard. a lot of welding in out-of-position. I use a 215 lincoln electric mig. 220 volt. been very happy with it. And in the summertime you're inside this thing, welding, cutting, etc.. and it is HOT. Remember I have no help, no real decent space to do this in, just the crummy two car garage.

some notes on the coils:
coils as you know are rated in lbs. a 400lbs coil takes 400lbs to move it one inch. So there is now way to know what lbs. you should have until it's all put together, and you drive it a bit, and see if it's too stiff, or not stiff enough. so to start you guess. I started out with 450 in the front coils, but just went upto 600. my rears are stacked 450's but they are way to spongy. So at some point I need to take off the bilsteins(ugh....) and try out some 800's. and pray that the whole thing isn't too stiff. you want to have movement when you hit a bump in the road. This is why when I get on the car in the vid, it sways back so easily. just need heavier coils on the back.
you will remember that there are 4 tanks in the back behind the rear tires on the original design. and guess what I wanna do for those.... you got it.. NOS.. painting the tanks of course.

let me know what pics you wanna see, I'll grab my camera and go out and take them.

I would really like to see some pictures of the interior, but I imagine you haven't gotten that far with it yet. If you made all of the little gadgets and gizmos in the interior, I don't care where you live, I would fly down there.

FAKE!!!!

Just kidding. Why would anyone build a plywood shell of this car? What a moron! Bob this build is truly amazing.

Brad

Batpod.... ya, i'd like to. I really would. The rotten economy has made it hard for me to just even keep up with life in general. So prioritizing means get this thing done to a point first. someday I hope. I've done a lot of costumes, busts, etc.. but nothing pays you back like a fantasy vehicle, in my opinion. It's hell to build, but it's like it's alive. Every milstone for me is huge. the 3 big ones are:
1. the first day I pushed it out of the garage. I couldn't belive I got that far. sat in a chair staring at it for hours.
2. the first day I got the engine running for 45min. non-stop. the break in was a big pain because I had to use about 12' of radiator hose, because of the only place to put a radiator was BELOW the engine in the lower driver side air intake. hence I have 2 radiator caps. you fill the anitfreeze up at the manifold. and then you have a 25lb cap on the radiator itself. I have a 180 deg thermostat setting on the radiator. As you know the break in period you add the breakin cam fluid, and the thing runs really hot for a while, and then you have to change the oil, when I drained the oil, I used a bucket that I didn't know had a leak, and had a huge oil puddle to clean up.. fun...
So now I'm running at 40lbs oil pressure, and just below 180deg. in idle.
3. this one is yet to come. as soon as I get the counter rotation box, slap er' on, hook up the yokes, I will drive it out of the garage. (after checking the trans fluid of course, going through the gears, slowly). This will be huge for me. at first will be driving it SLOWLY. testing everything. and then checking everything. then......

Everything up to these 3 points is nothing but BOATLOADS of hard hard work. and in between. after 3. comes the designing and building of the interior. This will be mostly fun. and much easier.

Last edited:

Am going to take interior shots today. You will see all the mass of electric wires for the engine, and all the 10 halogen lights, I have yet to organize, and get under panels etc..

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back