TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc Progress

Wow. If someone makes a shell or all the parts of this without lights and electronics, I will buy 3! I need 2 red ones for my Rinzler Costume.

Working on it, The CNC at work is still tied up with Green Lantern parts. I should be done with them by thurs. so I am hoping to get it on the machine this by this weekend... I have programed 80% of it. So far the machining time for the exterior is around 5-6 hours. I am only machining one half that will work for both and casting it.

Rinzler is a tough one, because his is one disc that splits into two... take what little space is available and, well, divide it in half. lol.

Carboxyll, I like your ideas. I sent you a PM. I like how you are transferring the light to the "C" ring; One thing to note however. The inner "C" Ring is constantly lit.

Well I guess that will make programming easier not having a randon led light up. I have adjusted the code to where the top and bottom rings will be lit and then you can turn the center one on with that counter clockwise light up pattern. I am asuming it will turn off in the reverse pattern. I need to hide a small buttom or soemthing.

Do you have a picture or the Rinzler disc? It might be best to go to with EL wire on that, It has a very long life and small footprint. You can look at my other posts about the light suit to see picture of the EL wire diffused behing frosted viynl.... or maybe surface mount leds, I have seen where you can make circuits on 8mm camera film.

I intend to eventually make the whole suit so I am thinking about hiding some larger batteries in the helmet have the ring charge while its on the suit.

Last edited:
I made a shell, but your electronics is just what I need! would you make me a special one to fit my disc? it's about 13" in diameter, I know it's much bigger then the real ones, but it's more in scale to my 6' 1" monster size.

Well I tried to make the top and bottom C-rings. I don't have a 4-axis router so i had to do one side then flip. I would recommend that if you have to do this, profiling a square inside the stock piece. Come to find out the stock pieces aren't always cut exactly, so my rings did not line up.

I will try it again, but here is what it looks like. Again, I am using white because I have so many of them, and just waiting till the blue comes in.

Last edited:
Hey everyone - been looking at threads here for years, this is my FIRST post.

I think Tron is gonna be bigger than Avatar. I'm actually thinking about trying to make a costume or maybe deck out my black car with glowing lines or something.

Awesome work on the disc Nexnox! This might be a silly question: Does the disc fly well?

You're probably designing these more for looks and less for function, but I was curious?

Last edited:
just an update, I tried some sample cuts and its not going too well. I am having to cut one side then flip. Its going to be hard to cut then flip and have everything line up again. So am going to the 2part mold approach, in Solidworks their is mold tool that i am going to use. I think I am going to use highdensity polyproplene or lexan. I have a 1/16" ball bit which should give it a really nice smooth cut.

I have a join suggestion/hidden screw/ recharge port solution. Hope it's ok. Hope it makes sense.

jzfal0.jpg

I have a join suggestion/hidden screw/ recharge port solution. Hope it's ok. Hope it makes sense.

jzfal0.jpg

The concept of a twist lock had occurred to me, but the components share too much space on each side to really make it feasible. Might be doable but would have to sacrifice a lot of wall thickness and strength to do it. I think.

Rinzler is a tough one, because his is one disc that splits into two... take what little space is available and, well, divide it in half. lol.

I thought he had two discs. I didn't know it was one that split into two.
I don't have to have 1 disc that splits. I'd be fine with not being 100% accurate with two.

Here's some details that I could never see really well on the disc until now:

Disc Wallpaper

This is also a good image to see if the CAD model is accurate.

awesome, I was wondering what the text was. I was going to try and pull it from a recognizer... thats the same image they used for the loading status from the original website.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back