Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2012, 9:55 AM - Titanium Shield #1

So after several attempts, the shop was able to get a titanium spinning done. It took lots of material from me, and many different drawings to get on that they could make. 4 different attempts, first one they couldn't get to form right, second one cracked when they were forming it, third one cracked when they were cutting the grooves. The cracks are due to the hardness of the material. If it's not treated properly, it gets brittle. Last attempt was a success. Downside is, the grooves are not able to be as wide and deep as I would like. Also, titanium is naturally a darker grey color than aluminum. But the paint should make them pop more. I hope to take one of the other ones that cracked down to the shooting range, just so see how it holds up

Not sure how I am going to do the back yet, but I'll at least have the four main bolts welded on.

Titanium right, Aluminum left

Looking forward to getting this one done.
    Last edited by Chris Fields; Jul 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM.
    From
    Florida
    Jul 15, 2012, 10:07 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #2

What.the.hell.man. O_o ...... I cant beleive you went through with the titanium lol, it looks great, and can't wait to see you paint it up. I thought I loved my aluminum shield when i had it.... But ...... titanium.... Just rolls off the tounge lol
    Jul 15, 2012, 10:19 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #3

My god that must have been expensive. What's it's weight compared to the aluminum?
  4. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2012, 10:27 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #4

Aluminum's density is .098 lbs/cu in, Titanium's density is .163, so at the same size, titanium is about 1.7 x heavier. However, I dropped the overall diameter down slightly, as well as the thickness, and the weight is pretty close at the moment to a fully done aluminum shield. So right now it's about 7 lbs. Depending on how I do the back, it may shoot that weight up, or keep it close to what it is now. Still deciding.
    From
    Colorado
    Jul 15, 2012, 10:27 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #5

Out of curiosity what Ti alloy is it? I used to work a lot with Titanium, mostly 6Al-4V.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Jul 15, 2012, 11:42 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #6

I would love to get the Titanium Shield Chris have you decided on a price yet or estimate price range?
  7. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2012, 8:44 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #7

Honus said: View Post
    Out of curiosity what Ti alloy is it? I used to work a lot with Titanium, mostly 6Al-4V.
    this particular one is grade 2. We couldn't get the grade 5(6AL-4V) to move in the spinning unless we severely heated it. That will be the next step if the funds are there.
    From
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Jul 16, 2012, 9:33 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #8

Rhymes with Vibranium
    From
    Colorado
    Jul 16, 2012, 1:51 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #9

Chris Fields said: View Post
    this particular one is grade 2. We couldn't get the grade 5(6AL-4V) to move in the spinning unless we severely heated it. That will be the next step if the funds are there.
    I figured it had to be a CP alloy. Titanium, while being awesome, is just a PITA to work with. To use 6-4 you would probably have to anneal it in a vacuum oven. Even then, that's going to be really hard to form. And if you think forming Ti is bad try casting it sometime!
  10. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2012, 2:02 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #10

Honus said: View Post
    I figured it had to be a CP alloy. Titanium, while being awesome, is just a PITA to work with. To use 6-4 you would probably have to anneal it in a vacuum oven. Even then, that's going to be really hard to form. And if you think forming Ti is bad try casting it sometime!
    Our issue was actually our die. Since they've been spinning aluminum only, I had them make dies up for aluminum, which are usually wood. With a wood die, we can't add heat for the forming. They have done heated forming before for grade 5, but we would have to make a steel die up for this, and that is very expensive.
  11. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jul 17, 2012, 10:08 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #11

I've looked into spinning Titanium before, that takes a hefty price tag, mostly because of that issue of having to do a steel die for the heat forming.

What is being done with the cracked shields? Just curious.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2012, 2:08 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #12

bjall4jc said: View Post
    What is being done with the cracked shields? Just curious.
    Hopefully testing at the shooting range
    Jul 17, 2012, 6:37 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #13

freaking awesome... how bad/noticeable are the cracks? They may make nice battle damaged shields. Will the star be titanium as well? I can't wait till you throw some paint on that bad boy.
  14. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 17, 2012, 6:47 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #14

drakeprimeone said: View Post
    freaking awesome... how bad/noticeable are the cracks? They may make nice battle damaged shields. Will the star be titanium as well? I can't wait till you throw some paint on that bad boy.
    They aren't too bad, but they caused some warpage, and they caused the grooves in one to really mess up.

I plan to groove the star out on this one, so yes, it will be titanium.
    Jul 18, 2012, 10:46 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #15

Yes, That will survive.
    Will the company your working with offer blanks like the aluminum ones that are offered elsewhere?
  16. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jul 18, 2012, 10:47 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #16

Chris, you are making me more jealous by the day here. I would love to get my hands on one of those titanium damaged shields. I have so many ideas.
    From
    Philadelphia....ish.
    Jul 18, 2012, 11:35 AM - Re: Titanium Shield #17

Chris, any tests of the aluminum at the shooting range? Me and a few friends have been wondering for a couple days now if the aluminum shield would stop a small enough bullet, or even deflect one.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #18

Fly4v said: View Post
    Yes, That will survive.
    Will the company your working with offer blanks like the aluminum ones that are offered elsewhere?
    No, they rather not do any more titanium because it takes a toll on their machines, lol. Also, the titanium was provided by me, so they would have to get their own supply or order it through me.
  19. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 18, 2012, 12:50 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #19

Dozer3677 said: View Post
    Chris, any tests of the aluminum at the shooting range? Me and a few friends have been wondering for a couple days now if the aluminum shield would stop a small enough bullet, or even deflect one.
    Nope, I can tell you the aluminum wouldn't do too well at all. Maybe a 22 wouldn't go through, but it would leave a nice dent. I believe a 9mm would go through, as well as 40 and 45. .380 auto may not go through either, but it too would leave a massive dent.
  20. RPF Premium Member Zombie Killer's Avatar
    From
    Rocky Mount NC
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:00 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #20

So whats next, cnc'd out of a big block of depleted uramium?
    From
    Philadelphia....ish.
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:17 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #21

Nope, I can tell you the aluminum wouldn't do too well at all. Maybe a 22 wouldn't go through, but it would leave a nice dent. I believe a 9mm would go through, as well as 40 and 45. .380 auto may not go through either, but it too would leave a massive dent.
    That is actually pretty impressive. I mean, if it were my life or the shield, I would love to be able to say "I got shot at and all I got was this nice dent in my shield". But hopefully I will never have to test that. But thanks Chris. Helps cure my curiosity.
  22. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:49 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #22

Dozer3677 said: View Post
    That is actually pretty impressive. I mean, if it were my life or the shield, I would love to be able to say "I got shot at and all I got was this nice dent in my shield". But hopefully I will never have to test that. But thanks Chris. Helps cure my curiosity.
    Considering the most carried side arm is 9mm these days, odds are your shield would do zero good. Don't try to test that. lol .. if you want, I can see if I have some scrap pieces of the aluminum to take out to the range when I test the titanium.
  23. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:52 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #23

Considering the most carried side arm is 9mm these days, odds are your shield would do zero good. Don't try to test that. lol .. if you want, I can see if I have some scrap pieces of the aluminum to take out to the range when I test the titanium.
    You don't have to Chris, I've already tested aluminum. I've tested 1/4" thick plates, 9mm, 40S&W, .38, and 45's all penetrate without problem. Ok, well the .38 had a little difficulty, but I can tell you, I would not want to be on the other side of the shield if anything was 'shooting' at it. Tests were done at 25 feet, using full metal jacketed rounds.
  24. RPF Premium Member
    Jul 18, 2012, 1:59 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #24

You don't have to Chris, I've already tested aluminum. I've tested 1/4" thick plates, 9mm, 40S&W, .38, and 45's all penetrate without problem. Ok, well the .38 had a little difficulty, but I can tell you, I would not want to be on the other side of the shield if anything was 'shooting' at it. Tests were done at 25 feet, using full metal jacketed rounds.
    That's what I would expect. And that's twice the thickness of the shields. I would change my sentence above then to say the .380 auto would most likely go through as well.

I don't see them going through the titanium though, but I could be surprised. I think they'll dent it though. If I can get the grade 5 one made, they may not be able to dent that. However... if the shield doesn't dent, then all that energy is transfered to the person holding it... and that would suck... major padding required, not to mention that torque it could put on your wrist and arm if the shot hit low or high on the shield.
    From
    Philadelphia....ish.
    Jul 18, 2012, 2:09 PM - Re: Titanium Shield #25

You guys rule. No need to test. I never would have. But it was just a roundtable discussion type at my house. A group of us sitting around wondering if it would or wouldn't. And what it would hold up against.

Thank you Chris & Bjall. Now I can go back and say "Knife? Yes!! Gun?....not so much".