Stone Walls & Fake Rock for Home Theater

Fuzzual

Sr Member
Hey guys, I am getting ready to start work on the front section of my Home Theater. It will be done in a "Hogwarts" Style walls. I am planning on working primarily with foam, for ease of sculpting. However, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Do you have a link or know how to build a heated foam cutter (I've seen them made out of heated wire?) :confused

2. what kind of material have you all used to prime foam so that you can use spay paint on the foam. I thought I had read/heard that there is a material that can be painted on the foam that gives it a hard plastic like shell on it? :confused

If I am way off on both of these let me know. but if any of you may know anything on the subject, or other ideas I would love to hear it. As always, thanks for the help!

1. Do you have a link or know how to build a heated foam cutter (I've seen them made out of heated wire?) :confused

They are simple to make but you can also purchase them for about $10...

2. what kind of material have you all used to prime foam so that you can use spay paint on the foam. I thought I had read/heard that there is a material that can be painted on the foam that gives it a hard plastic like shell on it? :confused

Try a search for 'foam coat' it's been covered many times...

or other ideas I would love to hear it. As always, thanks for the help!

Depending on your budget you might want to consider using 'z-brick' fake rocks or generic versions of the same, it will save you a boat load of time but will of course cost more...

Depending on how many you need... faux stones would save you alot of time.
You might want to ask over at the AVS forum. I am sure there are guys there that have done the exact samething that you want to try.

Hey guys, I am getting ready to start work on the front section of my Home Theater. It will be done in a "Hogwarts" Style walls. I am planning on working primarily with foam, for ease of sculpting. However, I have a few questions for you all:

Building a Hot Wire Foam Cutter

If I am way off on both of these let me know. but if any of you may know anything on the subject, or other ideas I would love to hear it. As always, thanks for the help!

Watered down white glue works well give it a few coats.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back