Star Trek Kelvin Phaser Project

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well if one phaser project on the workbench is good, two must be better, right? Actually, my TOS Phaser Project is one hold for a few days until I can get some of the dimensions confirmed. In the meantime, I've started modeling up the Kelvin Phaser from J.J. Abram's 2009 Star Trek. I know it was never seen on screen, but it's such a cool design I just had to take a crack at it. One of the coolest things is the rough, almost crude look to the cast metal surfaces. That'll be fun to duplicate (easier than making the surfaces perfect, that's for sure!).

Working from auction photos of the prop, I've first drawn it in 2D and then used those drawings to build a virtual 3D Cg model in Rhino. This will then be used to mill out the patterns on the CNC.

Here are some work-in-progress renderings of the Rhino model. There are still a few details to finish.

WIP12.jpg

WIP10.jpg

WIP11.jpg

WIP13.jpg

WIP14.jpg

I like this. How come if they could update the TOS phaser so well for he Kevin crew, the Enterprise folks had that stupid ray-gun looking thing?

I like this. How come if they could update the TOS phaser so well for he Kevin crew, the Enterprise folks had that stupid ray-gun looking thing?

I agree, they used the wrong props for each crew. I wouldn't have minded if the official phaser had been some obscure background prop and the barely-seen Kelvin phaser had been used for the Enterprise crew. Same with the communicators, for that matter...

Milled Parts

Here are the main parts for the phaser milled out of 40 pound HDU and cleaned up. The knurled pistol grip and "milk jug" on the bottom will be turned on the metal lathe.

CRW_3487.jpg

CRW_3490.jpg

CRW_3494.jpg

CRW_3495.jpg

CRW_3496.jpg

Very nice! :thumbsup

It's a shame this version of the phaser didn't get more on-screen time. I'm not a huge fan of the TOS-style props, but that phaser is pretty cool.

Sean

The is one of first HDU models I have seen. Wow. What kind tools did you use to obtain such a uniform shape? :confused

Thanks.

Gordon

Thanks guys! The more I work on the Kelvin Phaser, the more I like it. The design is kind of clunky, and un-refined. In many ways, very un-Trek. But it's still really cool!

The parts for the body are mostly finished and just about ready for molding. I used a very thick water based primer, sprayed on in a heavy texture, then sanded down a little. But there are still areas that are rough and uneven. It should give the sort of crude cast metal look that the original had.

CRW_3498.jpg

CRW_3499.jpg

CRW_3506.jpg

CRW_3508.jpg

CRW_3509.jpg

The milk can shaped protrusion on the bottom was turned out of acrylic rod then cast. The casting was then cut to the appropriate angle to fit into the bottom plate.

CRW_3507.jpg

CRW_3502.jpg

CRW_3503.jpg

Gordon, To answer your question, the 40 pound HDU (High Denisity Urethane) that I'm using can be cut and shaped just like wood. It's about the density of mahogany. The patterns were milled out on a CNC router that I designed and built. Then fine details were added with chisels and scribes. Pretty much like working with a nice hardwood, except no wood grain.

Here's a photo of my 3 axis CNC Router.
CRW_3391.jpg

Thanks! The pressure casting rig is nothing fancy. Just a chamber made from a piece of 10 inch square, 1/4 inch thick wall steel pipe with 1/4 inch plate welded to each end. The door closes from the inside so it can't blow out. Simple, reliable.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back