Spacetrooper Backpack- Found !! New pics added

Golgo13

Gone but not forgotten.
Yes it's Joe Johnston, but it's the pack on the back I want to know about, normally we see that little pic from the film grab blown up to try and make any details. But this is one we may have already seen before, any others?

The upside down snowtrooper pack is something I have always though possible too, glad to know I am not as crazy as the lack of sleep makes me out to be.

i've been trying to find out about this on and off for about a year and the snowtrooper backpack theory did cross my mind as well... for a time the cannister also reminded me of one of those that you found on small compressors years ago.

very elusive :angry

That's what put me off :D

But then i thought..... what if the Snowy backpack originated from the ANH space scene backpack..

that'd work.........

i just had a quick look at the dvd on zoom
its one horizontal cylinder at the bottom
with two vertical cylinders sitting on the top

you probably already know that :$ but i thought
chip in anyway :)

ESB was years after ANH but props were re-used through out all 3 OT films. Maybe if anyone can help track down the material the ESB trooper packs were made from (vac form?) that could lead us to who made the packs and any info about the origin of the master/buc to make the part.

In A New Hope (or just plain ole Star Wars for us old fogeys) the scene when you see the Falcon about to enter the bay, with the voice over of "Clear Bay 327. We are opening the magnetic seals", look at the bottom of the screen. There are two troopers out in the hard vacuum with some sort of backpack on.

The pic posted above is of Joe Johnston wearing one of the suits, but it doesn't show much detail on the actual backpack.

I don't think they look anything like snowtrooper backpacks.
air01.jpg

air02.jpg

air03.jpg

Agreed, and it was an insert shot made in California, while the Snowtrooper suits were made in the UK. And you can see the design develop in the ESB sketchbook.

looks like that coule be it, just add some sort of cannister on the bottom. Also appears that both packs are different in the screen caps.

I dunno, I think they just shot Johnston twice. Also keep in mind that Boussh tank is pretty small, and Carrie Fisher is small to begin with. ;)

Carrie Fisher was small but so are those tanks on the pack, compare them to the trooper shoulder armor. Squinting a little at the screen caps and having worked with some WW2 era flame thowers, that design also stands out to me but again, the tanks seem too small for that from what I can tell.

For all I know it could be a coffee pot and two thermos's with a long straw.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Oct 23 2005, 02:25 PM
I dunno, I think they just shot Johnston twice.
[snapback]1102006[/snapback]​

I think your right. The unusually large gap between the troopers forearm armor and hand guards, both match up with the gaps in the Johnston pic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back