Spaceballs Dark Helmet - Now Finished!

Bilious

AAAH Long time no post! Hi guys! I've been busy making tons of things, but figured you'd all get a kick out of the current commission on my workbench- for a client going to Comic Con, a replica of Dark Helmet's helmet and mask!

I need to upload the pictures I took of the fiberglass/bondo stage, but here's some WIPs of sculpting the inner form.

I used a large block of styrofoam bead-board I glued together- the learning process here was everything attacks that stuff, I should have make a bondo shell or something over it next time. XD The fiberglass shell was salvageable, just needed a little extra love in finishing stages.

Currently working on final passes of red-lead on the helmet and just finished my rough-draft of foam fabricating the mask.

Judging by the reference photos I found I believe the original mask was vacuumformed. Shaking my fists at the heavens that we destroyed a 6' bed thermoformer at the studio back East!! Foam will do for a classy costume.

We built a huge hot-wire to rough-cut the form. My first time using one of these, it was super fun and very zen. :)

DHWIP1.jpg

DHWIP2.jpg

DHWIP3.jpg

DHWIP4.jpg

More photos asap!

tomorrow: Mounting the inner helmet and fabricating the mask!

Last edited:
Re: Spaceballs Dark Helmet WIP

Very Nice! I like all the Star Wars props done in here, but its good to see spaceballs getting some loving too =]

We built a huge hot-wire to rough-cut the form. My first time using one of these, it was super fun and very zen. :)

DHWIP2.jpg

DHWIP3.jpg

A few questions if I may.

How did you get the surface from rough cut to smooth?

Has this [2nd image] been coated or ready to be coated?

I am super keen to learn techniques to allow me to make bucks for Vac Forming of my own.

A few questions if I may.

How did you get the surface from rough cut to smooth?

Has this [2nd image] been coated or ready to be coated?

I am super keen to learn techniques to allow me to make bucks for Vac Forming of my own.

Can't speak for what they used here, I would assume the same tools for shaping foam surfboard blanks would work well.

Google: surform blade

Should give you a lot of reference.

Yeah I used a surform and sandpaper. It was a total mess! I still haven't been able to shop-vac it all up. The cats like to get up on the bench when I'm working too, I've had to chase them down to de-bead-board them. XD It's definitely not my favorite foam to work in but it got the job done!

This was not coated in anything but separator when I went to fiberglass, which caused a lot of issues. The top part I covered in saran wrap at least so it saved it's general shape. In the future if I work in this foam again I'll be sure to coat it in bondo or something to seal it first!

Got some good work done on the mask today, I'll see about more photos asap I promise!

NOW FINISHED! The client was super pleased and positively in giggles when he came to pick it up. :D

Here's more WIP photos and the finished product!

IMG_6673sml.jpg

IMG_6703sml.jpg

IMG_6710sml.jpg

IMG_6728sml.jpg

IMG_6734sml.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

So glad to be finished! Now to get to the other projects on my bench for convention-season-crunch! @_@ Up next is a Turian costume from Mass Effect! Will post it up when I'm further along. :) Enjoy!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back