Showoff: Latest painted pieces - 8-D-8, Jason X and Gremlins

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Finally finished off the last piece in my WIP pile, so I thought I'd share some pics. It's great to have time to finally get round to painting up all these kits that I've had sitting here. :)

First off, Jason Voorhees hockey mask from the beginning of Jason X:

JasonXMask1.jpg

JasonXMask2.jpg

JasonXMask3.jpg

JasonXMask4.jpg

This was a blank, uncut kit from fibreglassmasks that came with accurate leather straps. Looking at screencaps and pics of the film-used mask I was surprised at how yellow it appears.

Next, a resin gremlin skull which is based on Stripe from the first film. The skull seen in the 2nd film didn't have eyebrow ridges. What a pain it is trying to paint a realistic bone effect!

GremlinSkull1.jpg

GremlinSkull2.jpg

GremlinSkull3.jpg

Also finished off a gremlin foetus from Gremlins 2, cast from an original (thanks to allosaur176 for pointing me in the right direction on this one). This thing is great; you just want to hold it all day.

GremlinFeotus.jpg

And last, but by no means least, 8-D-8 from Return of the Jedi, sculpted by the talented Zorg. :)

8-D-81.jpg

8-D-82.jpg

8-D-83.jpg

8-D-84.jpg

8-D-85.jpg

Next on the workbench will be repainting this guy - the rare Japanese exclusive Bandit Stripe:

Gremlin2.jpg

:cool:thumbsup

All great paining jobs!!! Well done and your welcome :)

I have the Jun Planning Stripe, but the brown version which is the rarest, and I think the coloring is awesome on it.. If you'd like, the first chance I get, I can take some pics to send over to ya if you want to go with those colors

All great paining jobs!!! Well done and your welcome :)

I have the Jun Planning Stripe, but the brown version which is the rarest, and I think the coloring is awesome on it.. If you'd like, the first chance I get, I can take some pics to send over to ya if you want to go with those colors

Yeah, I'd have loved the brown version, but it sold out long ago, so I bought the green poster-artwork version with the intention of painting it. Planning on going by the great photo on the back of the box for Stripes colours, but any more references would be very welcome. :thumbsup It's a very nice sculpt and should look great painted up properly.

whoa, nice job on the 8d8 paint :eek.

how did you do the chipped areas?

i like the finish a lot.

nice gremlin skull to :thumbsup

Last edited:
The chipped paint looks really great on your 8D8 head :thumbsup

I think I have to update mine, he could use a bit more weathering...

For the chipped effect on the 8-D-8 I literally chipped it! :lol

First I sprayed the whole head off-white (Halfords paint) and applied various washes of browns and greys for weathering all over (Humbrol enamels). I then took my hobby knife and used it to scrape and chip the paint surface semi-randomly, especially on edges and corners. Don't know what primer you put on it zorg, but there was a fantastic red-brown colour that started coming through in places - gave a great effect. Once the chips were done, I then used a very fine brush and painted Humbrol gunmetal unto the recessed chips, following the natural shapes. I think it came out nice. :)

For the chipped effect on the 8-D-8 I literally chipped it! :lol

First I sprayed the whole head off-white (Halfords paint) and applied various washes of browns and greys for weathering all over (Humbrol enamels). I then took my hobby knife and used it to scrape and chip the paint surface semi-randomly, especially on edges and corners. Don't know what primer you put on it zorg, but there was a fantastic red-brown colour that started coming through in places - gave a great effect. Once the chips were done, I then used a very fine brush and painted Humbrol gunmetal unto the recessed chips, following the natural shapes. I think it came out nice. :)

i cant remember what primer i put on it but it would not have been a dark colour, filler primer? probably white primer. i dunno.

anyway nice job:thumbsup

z

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back