Reconditioning Graflex Sabers

Gregatron

Master Member
Ten years ago, I acquired my very first lightsabers--two Graflex replicas from Larbel. Both were dressed up with Blast-Tech parts; one Luke ANH, one ESB.

I was highly inexperienced back then, and the builds were rather sloppy. Eventually, I acquired a few MR sabers, and my Larbels were tucked away and mostly forgotten in a storage bin.

In the years since, I've mainly focused on STAR TREK props, and have gained a lot of valuable experience--to the point of successfully building a John Long hand phaser kit, which is a challenge even for an experienced amateur.

Recently, I dug out my old Larbels, and was suddenly inspired to recondition them. I'm looking for something that's less worrisome to play around with and show off than my expensive MR props.

However, these were made back in the days when people thought the ANH had six grips and a two-rivet D-ring.

While I'm not looking for the ultimate in accuracy (although I hope to do a true Graflex build someday), I would like to make these more presentable. I've already dropped Blast-Tech a line, and await a response. Any other suggestions for new parts?

My goals are:

* To strip and clean/polish the Graflex replicas. I'll then add new Mylar tape to the ESB clamp, and probably leave the ANH clamp tape-free.

* To install new grips and D-rings (and a new circuit board for the ESB), with more accurate placement, and the more screen-accurate black screws for the ESB grips.

The problem here is that the ANH has two D-ring screw holes, and so an accurate, one-rivet/screw D-ring would leave one hole exposed. Also, Larbel's predrilled ESB's grip screw-holes are not correctly aligned with the D-ring assembly.

The easiest solution would probably be to get new replica Graflex bottoms, but I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I had the crazy idea of switching bottoms--in theory, the ESB d-ring assembly would cover both ANH holes, and the seven ANH grips would cover the ESB grip holes. I could then drill new ESB grip holes in the ANH bottom, and align them more correctly. Preliminary studies with printed grip templates indicate that this might actually work. Any suggestions?

I could also use some suggestions on a good adhesive remover and cleaner/polish for the Graflex replicas.

Here's what we're starting with:

Sabers001.jpg

Sabers002.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I received the Blast-Tech parts. Very nice, and a step up from what I used a decade ago.

I'm now in the process of stripping down and cleaning the Graflex replicas. Not doing too bad so far.

I'll post some pics as I get further along, but here's where we're at.

* Cleaned and polished both Graflexes with Brasso and Renaissance Wax. Looks great.

* Switching the bottom Graflex pieces worked like a charm. The ANH endcap is now on the ESB, and vice-verse. I enlarged one of the Kobold mounting holes on the ESB bottom to fit the ANH d-ring mount, and it worked perfectly.

* Covering the ESB grip screw holes was a little more troublesome. I had to space the 7 grips a bit unevenly so as to cover the holes. As it stands, only the barest hint of one of the holes is visible--and not unless you're looking for it. Worked great. I would have preferred more accurate grip spacing, but this was a necessary evil.

* The adhesive on the new Blast-Tech grips is much more effective than on my old ones. When I started on this rebuild project, several of the grips were peeling up and sliding around on the metal surface, with sticky reside left behind. Back in the day, I stupidly used dabs of CA glue to try to get them in place, which was a real pain to remove during the recent cleaning process.

The new grips ain't goin' anywhere! Looks great.

* I also removed (and left off) the chrome 1/2" tape on the clamp and under the bubble strip, for a more accurate look.

I'm also considering adding tiny springs inside the red buttons so as to make them seem functional. Any suggestions on where to get some?

And, in the process of crimping down the ANH d-ring mount so the ring doesn't constantly jingle-jangle, I accidentially damaged the mount, and so will have to order a new one. Any tips on crimping the mount so that it grasps the D-ring more firmly, a la the MR replicas?

Here's where we're at. Note the new Kobold holes in the old ANH bottom--the Kobold assembly neatly covers the bigger ANH holes from the old, inaccurate D-ring.

Stuff180.jpg

Stuff181.jpg

Found a multi-size spring set at Home Depot.

After some experimentation, I found a spring size that would work.

So, now, all three red buttons are functional!

Added the grips to the ESB saber.

Really, I just have to drill the screw holes, and find some black screws for the grips.

Any suggestions as to accurate grip screws?

Getting to the final stages.

I repainted the ESB Kobold bracket with metallic aluminum paint--which seem a perfect match for the original Blast-tech paint job.

Drilled holes in the old ANH Graflex bottom for the ESB grip screws, and found some nice black Phillips heads.

Got a new D-ring for the ANH, and successfully crimped it so as to keep the ring from flopping around.

Now, I'm just cleaning and polishing. Will post photos of the completely reconditioned units very soon!

Thanks for the post Gregatron, brought back memories of my first graflex lightsaber build.
I scoured ebay for months looking for the graflex flash handle and when i finally got one i couldnt believe it. Got the conversion kit from blast-tech and converted it to the Empire version of lukes lightsaber, but alas i no longer own it. but this post has inspired me to maybe look for another graflex or replica handle.

Great job, just found two Larbels ANH and a ESB my self, gathering the funds to get them, and then off to work on them. Love to see the "Oldies" get a shine!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back