Prop Fan Recasting My Trigger Tip/Ring

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not long ago someone had posted pics of some of their parts from Prop Fan and immediately the trigger tip stood out to me. After seeing more photos which showed similarities to the aluminum trigger tip/ring assemblies I contacted him to ask him about it. I wanted to try to work this out privately but he just claimed that he used the 2 I sold him as reference. I asked for photos of the one he made but conveniently he has it packed away from moving and doesn't know where to find it. Fishy as that sounded given the similarities that would have been pointless and very time consuming to duplicate because they were "flaws", I waited till I had 2 of his casts in hand which I got from a very helpful member at Proptopia before making any final conclusion.

Since I had given him a chance to come clean in private and he decided to still try to dupe me with his claim that he was able to fabricate one that was identical to mine, once I got the 2 casts and could tell immediately that he recast me I am not willing to play nice anymore.

He claims that members have seen his master. He also never referenced having multiple masters, which is another point of contention. He has 2 different casts (I sold him 2 of my trigger tips), the welding on them is different (as all of the ones I sold were) but the shape of the trigger is identical to the laser cut ones I sold him.

Without posting a dozen photos (which given his white resin is hard to photograph and capture the details) here is a list of what makes them identical to the ones I sold.

• the shape of the trigger matches mine EXACTLY (he was able to use a band saw and make not one but two identical to mine)
  • the triggers show the same laser cutting marks around the edges except the few edges that I sanded smooth on almost all of them
  • the two side faces of the trigger show the same striation type marks that all of my triggers had from sanding the sides before welding
  • there's a slight flat area on the back of the curved part of the trigger (ignored by pretty much every other replica I have seen)
  • the forward "points" of the trigger are slightly more narrow than the rest of it caused by over sanding, same as the ones I offered
  • the welds are obviously real aluminum welds not fitting with his plastic master as I have NEVER seen anyone duplicate aluminum (or other) welds this realistically
  • the welds show a slight splatter "string" on one side which many of the triggers had
  • there is blistering in the aluminum around the weld, again consistent with the ones I sold
  • the hole that's been filled in inside the ring is larger than the threaded hole for the banjo exactly the same as mine
  • both holes (the one mentioned above and the threaded hole) have been filled for casting, which makes no particular sense if you're making a master for casting
  • the ring itself shows the exact machine marks as he aluminum ones I sold, this is also inconsistent with the story that his was made from PVC and plastic told to me by one of the people that saw his master

He expects me to believe that he replicated every one of those details for no apparent reason? He did it twice even? His claims that he made a master and that people saw it MAY be true, but that doesn't mean that his master is what he cast and sold. He's not posted a single photo of his trigger casts that I have seen (or anyone else I know) while he posts pics of everything else he sells. This to me also shows that he assumed I'd never actually see one and didn't want photos to tip me off.

Had he manned up and admitted that he recast them when I first emailed him I would have been willing to settle things privately but instead he tried to play it out. What pisses me off most is that I was so close to losing money on the trigger tip/rings (and pretty much all of my past runs) and he turns around and profits off it, then lies about it. Had I turned a profit on them I would be less upset, but this is a smack in the face after stealing from me!

I have been told by others that have been around longer than me, and also vaguely remember it myself, that he had been caught recasting in the past, but was let off for whatever reasons. I call for him to be banned.

Last edited:
Since this isn't a Ghostbusters-centric forum like proptopia, for those of you who don't know John is referring to the aluminum "trigger/hook" tips he did a run of for the proton pack's gun. It's basically a flay hook shape with a stub, attached to a ring that goes around the barrel. They were really beautiful perfect pieces that all of us wanted for just about ever... A one-piece unit was never available before John's product came around, nevermind an actual metal one (the original is unpainted aluminum). People had offered the hook part of it in resin, but even those were never modeled quite right. John nailed these. Identical ones off two different masters, exhibiting signs of metalworking when the one master others had seen were plastic, that is very disconcerting.

Looking forward to hearing what Charles has to say about them...

I couldn't find a better picture of mine - but you can see it in the bottom right of this picture:

metal_gun2.jpg

It's the hook shape, and the ring around the acrylic tube - they're welded together and tapped/threaded for the bolt which attaches the brass piece nestled into the back of it.

I seem to remember hearing "prop fan" and "recast" in the same sentence in the past. I can't remember the details though...

Yes most people here wouldn't really know what part I am talking about.

Here is a pic of a couple of the ones I offered (this was to show the clean and still dirty look of them)
trigger-tips-compare.jpg

Here is are his recasts. You can see the sanding marks on the face as well as the unique welds.
trigger-recasts.jpg

Below are photos of some of the details that I tried to capture with my ass camera. Most details are nearly impossible for me to photograph with said camera and it being white resin.
compare-1.jpg

compare-2.jpg

compare-3.jpg

compare-4.jpg

compare-5.jpg

Let's write this stuff in the other 12/13 Forums. :rolleyes

I agree to the words, Prop Fan wrote in the Proptopia... Dont make so much trouble for this damn Trigger Tip. Really.

I agree to the words, Prop Fan wrote in the Proptopia... Dont make so much trouble for this damn Trigger Tip. Really.
Wow...nice attitude. Sorry, Dr. Slurpee put his hard work into those pieces. Prop Fan recast them. He basically stole from him. It's easy to say "Don't make so much trouble for this damn trigger", but it is obviously not easy enough for him to craft his own for sale, right?

Onkel, you are in the WRONG place to openly support a recaster. Hell, Dr. Slurpee should post this EVERY SINGLE PLACE that the recaster frequents. People do not like thieves.

It's easier to pour rubber and resin than do the welding and grinding yourself.

Damn right I am going to post it on every forum he frequents. He recast my work and his only rebuttal on Proptopia is to say "Why would I need to recast such an easy part to make? I am so great I could make anything." The mating call of pretty much every recaster.

You can consider yourself blacklisted by a LOT of member for openly supporting recasting. It'd be one thing if I made money off them, but he's profiting when I didn't. I essentially did them as a favour to the community.

Yeah, right. I am the bad guy...

I know you prop guys oversea make a lot of trouble with recasters and these whole stuff. I dont support recasters.

But I cant imagine that Charles recast the trigger and I dont remeber that he has offered the trigger tip in his For Sale Thread...

And before I get burned alive, get banned from every forum or whatever, I only wanted to say, that I think, thats a little bit exaggerated. Thats all.

We never talked about the great stuff, Charles offers over the years. And if we talk now over Charles, we only talk over the trigger tip, that maybe is recasted. But never again over the great stuff Charles make the last years.

Someday we'll wake up and there's nobody left, who can make us parts.

You know, that's jacked up. At first I would say, yes its minor item and the right thing would be for Charles (prop fan) to pull the item back. But if you're getting attitude for defending your art, that's just not cool and no one should be supporting this.

Yeah, right. I am the bad guy...

I know you prop guys oversea make a lot of trouble with recasters and these whole stuff. I dont support recasters.

But I cant imagine that Charles recast the trigger and I dont remeber that he has offered the trigger tip in his For Sale Thread...

And before I get burned alive, get banned from every forum or whatever, I only wanted to say, that I think, thats a little bit exaggerated. Thats all.

We never talked about the great stuff, Charles offers over the years. And if we talk now over Charles, we only talk over the trigger tip, that maybe is recasted. But never again over the great stuff Charles make the last years.

Someday we'll wake up and there's nobody left, who can make us parts.
So despite the visual proof and his rather cavalier attitude about it, you still doubt he recast this trigger? You say you don't support recasters, yet your attitude about it is supporting Prop Fan. Am I mistaken in your support of the guy?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back