Plasticoat Chrome, with and without black base coat

Rusty85

Sr Member
Hello, I was bored and testing out metal paints. I have a Plasticoat Chrome Spray Can, and figured I'd do a test with, and without the black gloss base. It seems to help slightly, but nothing significant...

The one on the right is the one with a black base.

DSC08705.jpg

I cant for the life of me find ant plasti-caot anywhere, i'm stuck with duplicolor, and the chrome doesent turn out like that!

that looks great! So its just a "spray away" and nothing special to do?

Yeah, nothing to it. I had a package of pinpong balls and decided to do some experimenting.

I'll probably get some of Rustoleum's Chrome next. I think that one surpasses this from what I remember. But the problem with that one is that you can't handle it really without getting fingerprints. This one is completely 100% safe to touch and handle, hell I could probably play a game of ping-pong with it without ruining the paint.

Last edited:
This one is completely 100% safe to touch and handle, hell I could probably play a game of ping-pong with it without ruining the paint.

That was going to be the question that I was going to ask. Thanks for adding that tidbit. I think that I may try this stuff. :thumbsup

I cant for the life of me find ant plasti-caot anywhere, i'm stuck with duplicolor, and the chrome doesent turn out like that!

I have not been able to find Plasti-kote around my area for the last two years. I have checked Ace hardware, Wall-mart, K-mart, AutoZone and several other auto parts stores and have only found Duplicolor and Krylon. I still have several cans of Plasti-kote stashed in my shed that I have been saving for a “special occasion”. Anyone know if there is a decent (and cheap) place to order cans from online?

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been able to find Plasti-kote around my area for the last two years. I have checked Ace hardware, Wall-mart, K-mart, AutoZone and several other auto parts stores and have only found Duplicolor and Krylon. I still have several cans of Plasti-kote stashed in my shed that I have been saving for a “special occasion”. Anyone know if there is a decent (and cheap) place to order cans from online?

-John

I don't know about online, but if you have a Tractor Supply Co. store near you, they stock Plasticoat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for clarification, are we talking about Plasti-kote "Bumper Chrome"?
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried ^THIS^ color? I mean, it's by the same company, & that one is actually labeled "Chrome."

I'd really be interested in knowing about the differences in the two finishes.

Well, I've seen it but never tried it. The finish is great on the silver, and handles very well. Its a great paint. Maybe I'll pick up a can of the Chrome to test it out.

Rusty,

A mate of mine has chromed some endo parts with a can of spaz chrome. Apprently he got some really good results. Might try and look into it mate:)

Regards
TAZ

Rusty,

How you think it would look on a Jango helmet ?

Actually, I think that would probably be the exact shade your looking for. The finish is identical to the movie finish, or at least from what I've seen of it. Doesn't look quite mirror chrome, but more like polished aluminum.

Thanks Tazvader, I'll have to look into it :thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back