My 3d printed props/items/cool things. Way of the future or something to be feared?

Combust

Heya all,

So i picked up an UP Plus 2 3d printer in November as i wanted to future proof my skill set a little. Ie time to learn 3d modeling as i currently have none :D

I figured this could be a good opportunity for everyone to post their own 3d printed items and work if you so feel like it :) This is my lot:

My own design of 3d finger (Not modeled by me however) next to HairyGael's awesome finger:

*Sorry... i seem to have broken the images somehow... :(

Last edited:
Re: My 3d printed props/items/cool things. Way of the future or something to be feare

Totally the way of the future.

Who did that Serenity? Is that yours? I would be interested.

Re: My 3d printed props/items/cool things. Way of the future or something to be feare

I'm in the process of getting my Solidoodle 3 calibrated/tweaked. I've got some work to do in the modeling category too :) :thumbsup

I am thinking about buying a printer. Any suggestions what are good ones? and where to get them cheap?

Hey Combust!

I thought I'd add to your thread. Your stuff looks great. You've really been an inspiration to me with the whole 3D printing thing... so thank you.

Just to add another pic, here's my Halo magnum WIP from thingiverse. Like you I'm still to teach myself 3d modeling, but thingiverse is so amazing for the novice and a whole lot of fun.

halo-magnum-3d-print-nerfenstein-wip.jpg

Very Inspiring! I could do with a bit of "Future Proofing"!

Things I have done.

Scooby tags in resin from a 3D printed master.
PIC_2773_zps2bdd59fe.jpg

Trek ear receivers from SLA masters.
PIC_2457_zps32bd06e1.jpg

Xmen Dark Phoenix buckle.
PIC_2390_zps9c690206.jpg

TOS Klingon insignia on top.
Alternate TOS insignia(unpainted) on the bottom.
PIC_2392_zps83b4342e.jpg

Hubley replica from a SLA master.
raygun01_zpsc9dd20e6.jpg

Mars Attacks saucer and base in SLA.
IMG_0509.jpg

Clementine lunar probe in SLA.
IMG_0507.jpg

Metrokab taxi in SLA
metrokabprimered01.jpg

Part 3D print, part conventional Klingon comm.
PIC_2281.jpg

Custom Klingon knife. Handle is 3D printed. Rest is conventional.
PIC_2249.jpg

Star Trek 6 boatswain whistle from a 3D master.
whistle_BP02.jpg

Star Trek TOS ray signal beacon from an SLA master.
PIC_2014.jpg
The SLA master.
PIC_1984.jpg

Vid-Phon cell phone made from a 3D printed master.
019.jpg

ST 7 styled comm from a 3D printed master.
PIC_1658-1.jpg

Underdog ring in alumide.
underdogring.jpg

An "Enterprise" era custom comm from a 3D printed master.
PIC_1666.jpg

Whoa TheSt.LouisKid that is some collection right there! Are they all from online places and you've downloaded them to print, or did you buy them already printed?

I think 3D printers are amazing !!! But to do your own custom stuff you really need a 3D scanner too.
Then you can make objects out of clay or similar material and scan them into your computer and print them out
in plastic. 3D scanners are going to be affordable in the near future. Saw one for about $1000 on the web. Looked cool.

I think 3D printers are amazing !!! But to do your own custom stuff you really need a 3D scanner too.
Then you can make objects out of clay or similar material and scan them into your computer and print them out
in plastic. 3D scanners are going to be affordable in the near future. Saw one for about $1000 on the web. Looked cool.

Or, you know, model it in 3D...

Yes, what 3D modeling program would you recommend ? I tried one but found it hard to use. I wanted 3D text and the text tool only made
2D text. And then you had to extrude it or something. I would want one that had smarter tools. A text tool with customizable text height would
just make more sense.

Actually you don’t. You can use 123d Catch and your cell you can easily scan object in for free. If you head over to Thingiverse, many of the objects there that are based on real life items were captured using 123d Catch. Most of the home 3d scanners work on the same principle, just coming preloaded with the software and a lazy Susan for easier turn arounds.
Autodesk 123D Catch | 3d model from photos

Yes, what 3D modeling program would you recommend ? I tried one but found it hard to use. I wanted 3D text and the text tool only made
2D text. And then you had to extrude it or something. I would want one that had smarter tools. A text tool with customizable text height would
just make more sense.

Again this can be done very easily, it’s just a matter of knowing what you’d like to do, how to do and with what you should do it with. Here is a short video about one possible way to get your desired 3d text with very few steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the tips. If I can use my phone and save $1000, that's a good day.
That's what I'm here for is to learn.

I drew the files and had the models 3D printed or an was SLA made.
Oh wow, amazing job. I'm teaching myself the 3d modelling thing, so mine are all quite basic at the moment. It's still like magic to me, that I can draw something then print it and hold it in my hand!

3D printers are pretty cool and very useful for some things, but ultimately it's just one more tool in the drawer.
We felt the same way about laser cutters 20 years ago too.
It still takes time and an artist's eye to draw a good model in the computer so it can be printed.
They are terrific for some things, but painfully slow and crude for others.

Don't throw away your bandsaw and sander yet!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back