Modified Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle Completed

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
EDIT- I had both my threads merged into one. This way all mods are under one thread.

I just received my Matrix Pulse Rifle from Evike.com. This is the third PR I have had. My first was an original G&P kit on a Tokyo Marui Thompson. I sold it and longed for another years later. I decided I would build my own with the then new China clones of the TM Thompson. I used Matt's parts for the shroud, GL, and shotgun. Metal parts were sourced from several people here on the RPF. It used the soundboard from the now defunct ReplicaFX. And yes, I sold it. And yes, years later I longed for another.

Now we have the Matrix PR, a near clone of the G&P kit at a much cheaper price. We all know about this gone so I wont bore anyone with a "review". I have some plans for this gun. Some will come quick, some will come later. I need to play with it first!

First thing anyone with this gone should do is replace the battery. The stock is an 8.4v 1100 mAH battery. I bought a Tenergy 9.6v 1600mAH battery. This will increase the rate of fire on the gun. If you're wondering what kind of difference, check out this comparison.
8,4 vs 9,6 volt battery comparison (airsoft) - YouTube

Of course the gun is going to get a full repaint. I'll be using Rustoleum Camouflage Olive Drab. The same I used on the one in my avatar.

First mod will be taking care of the counter window. I'm adding a smoked window to replace the clear window on the gun.

Stock-

Tinted window. This will be cut and fitted in place.

And what is it? It's the tinted T-Top from the Aoshima Knightrider model kit. I used the other one on the last PR.

And of course, the all too familiar crack on the rear shroud. There is a roll pin right under here. I suspect as they are being assembled they are being cracked.

So, stay tuned to this thread for all the mods to come. Well, that is, if you want to....

:popcorn

Last edited:
Re: Matrix Pulse Rifle Mods

Has anyone ever put a real Spas cage with an airsoft or resin 870 on one of these?

In short, yes. There are many threads where a real steel SPAS has been used. Specifically in a Matrix PR? I'm not sure. It's a very expensive mod. Most would do a full real steel build.

Thanks Guy, gotta try and catch up to you! Oh, and yes, it's coming with me to Wonderfest! :D

UnitPD, no, I don't think anyone has done this with the Matrix yet. However, you could do it of course. SPAS cages still seem to be readily available from a few sources. It's a lot work to mount an airsoft shotgun in one though.
This is the one you would want to use.
Maruzen M870 BV Pump Action Shell Eject Shotgun (WOOD)

It's the only shell ejecting shotgun on the market (I believe) and is the correct style (m870) for a PR. But it isn't cheap and hard to find in stock. You could use a cheaper airsoft shotgun but those don't have a moving/opening ejection port. You would need that function on a PR. The other reason why I don't think you will see this in a Matrix is the inaccuracies of the Matrix PR, namely the shrouds. I think most would rather build from the ground up with more accurate parts if wanting a real SPAS.

But go for it dude, if that's what your goal is. It would be a first and a very unique PR for sure! There are plenty of tutorials for mounting a SPAS in a PR that could easily be adapted for a Matrix.

I'll be cracking mine open this weekend and starting on some mods.

Thanks Guy, gotta try and catch up to you! Oh, and yes, it's coming with me to Wonderfest! :D
:D:cheers....I know you are going to love that....mine scared me to death..

.:D:p:lol....didnt want to end up with a cell mate...that would not have been a great wonderfest memory....to tell the kids....

Robiwon, I hate you! ;)

Was able to resist the Christmas sale but I have a feeling your build will erode any remaining resolve.

Haha, hate you too! LoL!

I posted in the OT forum about wether to get an airsoft M4 or the Matrix PR. Someone said that airsoft M4's will be around forever, this PR will not. Once it's gone, prices will rise and rise again. With the Evike2013 (20% off) discount code I got the rifle shipped for $244 and some change. If your on the fence, grab it if you can. It may not be the perfect replica, but how can you pass up a complete ready to rock PR for under $250?

This is the one you would want to use.
Maruzen M870 BV Pump Action Shell Eject Shotgun (WOOD)

It's the only shell ejecting shotgun on the market (I believe) and is the correct style (m870) for a PR. But it isn't cheap and hard to find in stock. You could use a cheaper airsoft shotgun but those don't have a moving/opening ejection port. You would need that function on a PR.

That shotgun would be impossible to mount in a PR because the gas reserve that fires the BB's is in the stock. Plus, if you look in the other Matrix PR thread, they don't quite line up right so it would require serious modification to get it to fit, thus making it unusable.

Yeah, I've not been to worried about adding a shotgun to mine. My goal is a full electronics upgrade similiar to my last PR.

O.K. time for some updates. I can't find my charger to charge my 9.6v pack. It must be buried in storage somewhere. :( I'll order another one.

Pics are clickable.

So I charged the included battery and took her out in the backyard to wreak some havoc on a tin can to see what it can do. Not to shabby. This is about 20-25 feet. Results below.

And then my gun exploded!

Time to lay down some paint! Anyone who has spay painted a lot or a large piece knows what it can do to your finger. I picked up this little gadget for $2.50. Wow, what a finger savor! Highly recommended.

So, everything was shot with Rustoleum Camo Flat Black. The GL will get a rub of silver Rub-N-Buff for highlights. Then a clear coat to seal it. The clear will darken it a bit as well.

The shrouds also got a coat of flat black. Why? Ever try to paint something that's green with green?

Then the shrouds got a nice coat of Rustoleum Camo Green. These will also be sealed with a clear flat coat. Everything is a bit darker in person. Outside light kinda washed it all out.

The barrel got a lick of Tamiya Satin Black. It will be a nice contrast. The SPAS pump handle was left unpainted. Another black contrast. Plus, no paint will rub off from repeated use.

Next step will be to open the SPAS vent holes, mount the new counter window, and mount the M40 Grenade in place of the shotgun shell.

M40 grenade looks real nice sittin in there! Hot glued in and fits perfect. I may or may not drill out the vents now. I'm still debating. The one thing I don't want to do is screw up the GL. Although a resin replacement could possibly be gotten from Matsu. Loading ramp was painted with Tamiya Gun Metal.

100_6146_zpsc6339b44.jpg

100_6148_zps2a7b1a22.jpg

I re-assembled the gun last night just to make sure I knew how it went back together. I did so without those pesky roll pins. I'm positive now that is why the rear of the shroud is cracking on many guns. There's not much plastic there above that one pin. Surprisingly, the gun is still pretty darn solid. Once I finish all my mods I may leave them out altogether.

Thanks Guy, more is coming. As a matter of fact, here is some more for you!

The Matrix PR comes with a 6 cell 8.4v battery. For a higher rate of fire you can put in a 7 cell 9.6v battery. The battery is kept from sliding around by this little tab.

100_6149_zps1c082f3f.jpg

A 7 cell will fit, but it's a very, very tight fit. So much so I was afraid of damaging the battery or the wires. So I removed the tab. This opens up much more room for a 7 cell pack to fit in. I added a piece of foam from a used up nail file. The kind with a different grit on each side and edges, the fat ones. This was hot glued in place. Now, my 7 cell pack fits with a lot more room.

100_6150_zps3d006bfb.jpg

No more crushed and squished wires!

100_6152_zps9032e84b.jpg

By relocating the fuse, you could even fit an 8 cell 10.8v battery, possibly an 11.1v.
I also want to relocate the on/off switch for the counter. I don't want to have to take the mag base off each time. Looking for a suitable location...

Last edited:

I also want to relocate the on/off switch for the counter. I don't want to have to take the mag base off each time. Looking for a suitable location...

Is there room to move it to the GL breech? Another option is to drill out 1 of the GL vents and relocate it there in an inconspicuous spot.

I also just noticed your feed ramp is in backwards.

I LOVE these threads....could be en entire section of the RPF devoted to ALIENS and I'd read every thread!! Robi, nice work! I would love to paint the GL cage, but honestly, after wanting one of these for so long, find myself a little intimidated to take it apart at the risk of breaking something. Looks like yours is coming along awesome!

Dave, I hear ya. Cracking one of these open not for the faint of heart. However, with a little careful planning you can do it. Keep a small container to keep your screws in, keep the manual handy, and use the right tools. Oh, and go slow.

Is there room to move it to the GL breech? Another option is to drill out 1 of the GL vents and relocate it there in an inconspicuous spot.

I also just noticed your feed ramp is in backwards.

Ooops! I'll flip that the next time I have it open. :D

I'm thinking about adding the on/off switch here. Image grabbed from Google search.

Last edited:

After popping onto the Aliens Legacy board I just found out that the Matrix PR is missing a piece over the G&P kit. I wondered why it was so bloody difficult to get my mag in. That is because Matrix omitted a flat piece of plastic that screws to the inside of the shroud, the back half (not the side with the counter). This piece of plastic helps align the mag toward the Thompson's mag well inside the shroud. It even shows this piece on page 17 of the Matrix manual! So, this evening, I will be making one out of sheet plastic. I'll post my progress on this tonight.

Attachments

• mag guide.jpg
    mag guide.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 979
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back