data-ad-slot="1369189895">
Subscribe
    Apr 27, 2012, 10:06 PM - Mini Ennis House Tiles - Blade Runner, Rocketeer etc #1

So I've been working on a miniature bust of Deckard from Blade Runner (seen here: http://www.therpf.com/f62/blade-runn...update-112421/). I finally figured out what I wanted to do for a base, which involves using the Ennis House tiles, seen in Deckard's apartment:

The tiles are from Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House, which pop up in other movies and tv shows, like The Rocketeer, Farscape, and Buffy The Vampire Slayer, to name a few.

So, I wanted to make some on a small scale. I decided on 1.25" x1.25". To make them, I started with an image of a 3D Sketchup version found here:
    ENNIS HOUSE STYLE TILE 3D by ZALVEZ - Google 3D Warehouse

I adjusted the image a bit, reversing it, as it would be a mold:

I printed the image out multiple times on 110lb card stock. Then I cut out each layer as needed and super glued them onto the flat image, building up the layers to get my mold:

To help me build up the layers properly, I came up with this image to help keep track of the depth:

I went in "rainbow" order of depth: red is the deepest, then orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, then finally white as the shallowest. In case it's confusing, I added one layer of card stock for every color level. So red was the bottom layer, orange is 2 layers of card stock, yellow is 3 layers and so on.

Finally, I rolled out Super Sculpey clay, pressed it into my mold, and got my tile! After making a bunch, I boiled them in water to harden them up.

They're far from perfect, and some warping occurred, maybe the clay needs to be thicker. I didn't do any cleanup on them yet either. They're kind of rough, but I think they'll work for my needs, especially at this small size.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a cheap, relatively easy way of making these. The good thing about this is it's easy to scale up, as long as you increase your thickness of layers accordingly. I was thinking of trying this full scale with regular cardboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ennis_tile.png   ennis_tile_reverse_levels.png   ennis_tile_and_mold.png  

ennis_tiles.png  
  2. data-ad-slot="8650514066">
    data-ad-slot="7832116010">