Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member jameth1971's Avatar
    From
    California
    Jul 17, 2011, 4:50 PM - Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #1

Anyone know how to make fake liquid. In other words a material you can poor in a bottle or glass and it will harden and look like liquid but is solid so no spilling if it gets knocked over.

Need it for my Blade Runner display.

Whiskey, Blue Alcohol, Clear for Vodka, etc.

Thanks
    From
    Southern, CA
    Jul 17, 2011, 5:49 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #2

Clear resin- add color of your choice. Bubbles in glass - pour resin and let harden. No bubbles - need pressure pot.
    From
    The first state
    Jul 17, 2011, 5:56 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #3

I've seen products like this in Micheals crafts stors as well as ACMoore. I'm sure you could dye them to color of choice as the only ones I had seen were clear drying.
  4. RPF Premium Member jameth1971's Avatar
    From
    California
    Jul 17, 2011, 7:44 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #4

ursus43 said: View Post
    Clear resin- add color of your choice. Bubbles in glass - pour resin and let harden. No bubbles - need pressure pot.

What is a pressure pot and how would that work trying to fill a whiskey bottle?

Thanks
  5. Formerly cobalt crimson Wes R's Avatar
    From
    Western PA
    Jul 17, 2011, 7:46 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #5

I was thinking of trying the stuff they use for water in miniature gaming landscapes. I tried white glue but it shrinks. My problem is none of the liquids are clear, they're all various colors.
  6. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    From
    Massachusetts
    Jul 17, 2011, 11:08 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #6

The pressure pot is used to remove the air from the resin before you pour it. So you'd put a cup of your resin in the pot, turn on the pump, wait for the bubbles to froth up and fall, then turn off the machine and pour the resin carefully into your vessel.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Jul 18, 2011, 12:02 AM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #7

I bought some stuff at Wal-Mart that should work.. hang on, let me grab it from my stash of project stuff.
    Acrylic Water Kit
    I looked for it on Wal-Mart.com but couldn't find it so I used my barcode trick on Amazon and it's on there too.
    Amazon.com: FloraCraft Floral Accessories Acrylic Water Kit: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
    (it's in the Wal-Mart craft section.. the link has a pic so you know what to look for.)
    From
    Arizona
    Jul 18, 2011, 2:01 AM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #8

For onstage props in theatre we have used Gel candle wax for liquids. Warm and melt down on the stove, add some candle dye to get the color you want ( a little of this stuff goes a long way ) and away ya go. I've used it alot to make champagne so the bubbles worked out in my favor, but it is pourable to not get bubbles. One word of caution as your pouring hot liquids be careful what your pouring into as some plastic glasses have a tendency to melt.

-Chris
    From
    Ocala, FL
    Jul 18, 2011, 4:40 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #9

Encapso KŪ Water Clear Rubber Product Information | Smooth-On

I use this stuff regularly when making vases with fake flowers for teachers in local schools. They don't want actual water or flowers, but they want it to look as real as possible. Pour slowly and carefully down the side of the container and you can avoid bubbles completely. It's easy to work with and to dye, too. The best part is that its optical distortion almost perfectly matches filtered water.
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jul 18, 2011, 5:55 PM - Re: Making fake liquid for prop bottles help???? #10

Yup. That's the ticket.