LOST - Swan Station/Hatch Computer Build (99.9% COMPLETE)

canadapost

I'm not sure if you would call this a 'build' seeing that all I really need is an Apple II Plus and an Apple III monitor, but I've always loved this prop and LOST was such a huge part of my and my friends' lives when it was airing. :cry

I really want this to be a functional prop and I'm currently searching for the computer. In the meantime, I've managed to teach myself a little Applesoft BASIC (which actually isn't very difficult to learn) and made a program that will hopefully give the functionality that I'm looking for.

I created a short video demoing how/what I did.
Here's a YouTube link: LOST TV Show - Swan Station Computer Prop Replica Build (Part 1) - YouTube

When I started thinking about this, I was sure that there would be a tonne of references online, but I'm surprised I wasn't able to find anything similar. Please let me know if there are others who have done the same thing - I'd love to pick their brains. I've never even seen an Apple II Plus IRL!

Also, I'd love any feedback you might have for any improvements I can make to my program!

3 things I already want to do:
1) The "ERROR" message should really say "SYSTEM FAILURE,"
2) The dialogue between Michael and Walt should start on a blank screen, and
3) I want Walt's dialogue to have a delay and some sort of typing effect.

Thanks for reading!

Re: LOST - Swan Station/Hatch Computer Build

that great work can't wait to see it running on an old computer. I would add on to the conversation between Michael and Walt to include some gags as I know my dumb friends they will be asking Walt dumb questions like "where'd you hide the beer" or something stupid like that and it'd be cool if there where a couple of smart ass responses... and i want a copies...lol

Good luck in your search for an Apple II. I think the best place to look for one is probably yard sales. Any online will likely be selling for several hundred / thousands because they're quite rare and pretty collectable.

If you can't find an Apple II / Apple III Monitor, have you considered doing something like getting a broken shell of an Apple II, stripping out the internals, and fitting a Raspberry Pi or some low power Pico-pc in there, that can run faster, cooler and with lower power than an Apple II? Then you could program the application in something more modern, which would take way less time (like, using C for example, you can emulate the terminal and it wouldn't require you to write hundreds of lines of GOTO code :p)

Been sick for the last couple of days so I haven't posted much, but I did manage to write some more code. Dear god! I programmed an image line-by-line and it took forever! It's crazy how much I take the Internet and Google for granted. I'd love to explain how/what I did a little later - but here's a short video showing the image for anyone that might be interested.

VIDEO: LOST TV Show - Swan Station Computer Prop Replica Build (Part 2)

HAHA FYI I had WAY too much time on my hands during these sick days - the image took about 500 lines of code to create.

that great work can't wait to see it running on an old computer. I would add on to the conversation between Michael and Walt to include some gags as I know my dumb friends they will be asking Walt dumb questions like "where'd you hide the beer" or something stupid like that and it'd be cool if there where a couple of smart ass responses... and i want a copies...lol

I am thinking about adding some interesting features to the program too! I definitely want to keep the physical prop 100% (or as close to) screen accurate as possible; but, I have been thinking of some interesting things to add to the programming. I remember in Season Two wondering a couple things: 1) Who created the program; 2) What is the hatch?; and 3) Is there anything else the computer can do? And I hope to build the answers from the later seasons into app. I'll keep you posted!

I'd love to do a great call and response subroutine for Michael and Walt, but I haven't found an effective way to do that yet without taking up too much memory. The image I created already takes up about 96% of usable memory - I think in total the computer has something like 48k of memory. :facepalm

Good luck in your search for an Apple II. I think the best place to look for one is probably yard sales. Any online will likely be selling for several hundred / thousands because they're quite rare and pretty collectable.

If you can't find an Apple II / Apple III Monitor, have you considered doing something like getting a broken shell of an Apple II, stripping out the internals, and fitting a Raspberry Pi or some low power Pico-pc in there, that can run faster, cooler and with lower power than an Apple II? Then you could program the application in something more modern, which would take way less time (like, using C for example, you can emulate the terminal and it wouldn't require you to write hundreds of lines of GOTO code :p)

It hasn't been too hard looking for Apple ][ Plus(es?). eBay has some for quite reasonable costs - I think my budget could go to $200-300 - but it def has been difficult finding the right combo of the Apple ][ Plus, Apple III monitor and the monitor shelf with shipping that won't cost more than the computer. So my search continues! Local yard sales might be the way to go (Thanks for the advice!). I may have till winter's over - I hope I don't need to look that long. :)

I do want to keep the prop as authentic as possible, so a mod will be my last resort! But yes, my coding has been longgg and inefficient to say the least (learning on the fly!) and I love it! It's cool from an historical perspective and crazy to see how far we've come since the 80s.

Actually, I would think your BEST bet would be to contact some of the schools in your area. I would think High Schools would be the best bet, but elementary schools might also have some. If you can find a district office or something similar - a central place where they handle all of the IT and supplies for the entire district. Local colleges MIGHT have some, but they're FAR more likely to have gotten rid of them.

Goodwill is another good place to look, but you have to be REALLY lucky.

As for functionality, I would also suggest using a more modern system for the internals. That way you could also build the countdown clock and link it to the computer through WiFi. Another option would be to telnet into a more modern system and run the application remotely.

A functional countdown clock with a connected wifi antenna shouldn't be too difficult. You would be able to sync them real-time so when the code is entered in the computer, the clock resets. The computer could even control the clock.

It's been a long time but I was finally able to source a reasonably functional Apple II Plus and an Apple III monitor! I was surprised by the great condition it was in when I purchased it - although it was super filthy (grime on the exterior housing, years of crumbs and dirt stuck inside the keyboard, cobwebs and even more dirt inside the computer). I must give a shout out to Todd Harrison @ ToddFun.com for his Apple II Plus YouTube videos which helped immensely in the dismantling and restoration of the computer - I'm thankful it wasn't too difficult.

All I really needed to do was:

1. Stripped all the electronic components away from the computer/monitor chassis and gave it a good scrub down with Clorox Clean-Up; which worked like magic! Zero damage to the plastic and brought it back to 'like-new' condition. [I attached a few photos of the process.]

2. Unfortunately, many of the keys on the keyboard were non-functional (apparently, common with Apple II's) and this is where I needed to take the board apart and fix some of the circuitry, finishing with some silicone oil to prevent the keys from sticking.

3. And thank goodness! I was able to source a computer without any major electronics failures! So I didn't need to purchase any replacement chips or cards. :)

Not much else to say, other than it's pretty cool to have a functional prop to play with from one of my all-time favourite TV shows.

All I need to do now is try and get some custom Dharma/Swan Station plaques made up!

Here's a video of the fully-functioning computer: LOST TV Show - Swan Station Computer Prop Replica Build (Part 3)

Cheers and thanks for watching!!

Hello,

Congratulation for your work! I m looking for the source code of program. I found a computer and I repaired. I do not know much about the basic language, how did you find the source to reproduce the logo and numbers program ? Thank you in for help ...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back