ID'ing Michonne's katanas from The Walking Dead?

We've got out first look at Michonne from Season Three of The Walking Dead. I'd love to find out more about the katanas (I'm searching now).

By chance, can anyone identify them?

I'm guessing they're going with cheap wall hangers from a catalog that they can buy in bulk and modify if needed. Have you tried budk and places like that?

My problems with that pic, that looks like a Tachi, not a Katana. Longer thinner handle, longer more curved blade. After months of Slicing and dicing that White Wrapping, would be a mix of dried blood and dirt.

Been checking online (Budk Catalog, trueswords.com, ebay, amazon, etc) and am not having too much luck. I'm able to find some white wrapped katanas, but other details aren't lining up.

The Shinwa White Knight comes close in the handle, but the metal finish is all wrong...
Shinwa White Knight White Cord Katana Sword Damascus - BUDK

I see what Oneiros is saying about the differences in swords. I'll start looking up Tachi next.

Thanks for chiming in guys!

Quick update... no luck so far finding the matching katana or tachi. I think Tachi is a closer style, but aren't as readily available as katanas are.

I also noticed that the katana on Michonne's back seems to be a larger diameter than the one she is weilding in her hands. Not sure if that is the case or not.

Search will go on.

It is not an off-the-shelf sword. Well, the blade and handle under the wrap are, but all of the other parts are custom. I created the design drawings for John Sanders, the prop master. He had a prop maker create the shooting props. The producers wanted specific symbols on the hilt and blade, and they liked a leather wrapped shoulder katana I had designed back in the late 90's, so I incorporated all of that into the design. The final prop came out really close to my drawings.

I have a buddy who works props on TWD. I'll try and ask him if he knows anything about them.

hmmm can find the video now, but on the "Talking Dead" show the host got to go on the set of season 3 and got to look at the weapons... michonnes sword was show up close quite a few times if anyone can help find the video...I know the tsuba has a gold triquatra on it...

imgres

It is not an off-the-shelf sword. Well, the blade and handle under the wrap are, but all of the other parts are custom. I created the design drawings for John Sanders, the prop master. He had a prop maker create the shooting props. The producers wanted specific symbols on the hilt and blade, and they liked a leather wrapped shoulder katana I had designed back in the late 90's, so I incorporated all of that into the design. The final prop came out really close to my drawings.

Actually, he had a swordmaker make the steel versions of the sword, dull and sharp. It was based on those swords that the prop place made the aluminum and rubber ones.

While the blade and grip were "off-the-shelf", they were modified a good deal.

Last edited:

Hi Kit.. Did you design the Governor Bowie ?

Kit Rae, LOVE your work and own several of your swords, great eye and detail work on your designs. So wanting to ask 2 questions that has already been posted....did you do the huge bowie of the Governor and is there any plans for replicas of Micheonne's sword in the works?

I did not work on anything else for the show, so I don't know who made the Governor's bowie. I did the drawings for the katana more as a favor to John and United Cutlery, and because I love the show. UC was supposed to get the katana props made in the beginning, but there was not enough time. They had also intended to get the license to make a replica.

UC did not get the license for whatever reason. I think Master Cutlery ended up getting it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back