I think I've found an easier way for a cheap Tron costume

YenChih Lin

Master Member
Well, I was browsing the site Geekologie and found the article of MPK's Litroenergy, a fluorscent paint with tritium beta-decay microglasses. Once painted it'll last over 12+ years(!) without charging. Was also mentioned at NASA's Tech brief. So I thought, wow, you actually can make a supercool replica of a Tron costume without the hassel of EL sheets wires and batteries nor the need of a UV source for illuminating a UV reactive paint, that'll stop glowing, if you turn off the black light.

All yon need would be the Glopaint in the desired color and spraypaint, sealing clear coat for the gear parts, some original Tron pattern mask and Icehockey gears and a frisbee to make your own replica. Isn't that a great solution? :thumbsup

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:MPK_Co's_Litroenergy

http://www.glopaint.com/

Last edited:
Possibly, but it says on the site that the items painted with this stuff has to be in complete darkness to realize the full effect.

Even though EL wire is bulky, I think it's effect fits better with the Tron design.

All I saw on the site was a link to the new product, and the companies line of glow in the dark paint.

The litroenergy stuff, which is the real gem here, offering 24/7 light for 12+ years, doesn't seem to be for sale.

It could be something tremendously cool to play with if it were available. :cool

Isn't Tritium still radioactive? It was the last time I checked... Having it on watch hands might not be enough to hurt you, but covering a bodysuit in it? hmmmm... I'll let someone else try it out first. ;)

From what I read, the radiation is so little, that it's contained inside the mircoparticles they use... or something along those lines. :confused

Isn't Tritium still radioactive? It was the last time I checked... Having it on watch hands might not be enough to hurt you, but covering a bodysuit in it? hmmmm... I'll let someone else try it out first. ;)

Just flying electrons that are stopped by just 1 cm shielding, so very safe.

Looks like cool stuff! It would be cool to do some graffiti with that!!

I also found this:

The technology is known as betavoltaics, using a radioactive gas as its power source. Interestingly enough, tritium radiation (beta particles) can be safely contained by the microspheres it lives inside so there is no need to purchase a radiation suit anytime soon.

FB

0bad14254b5a28dd2d5546467b67be8e-orig
Hmmmmmm....

Well, I was browsing the site Geekologie and found the article of MPK's Litroenergy, a fluorscent paint with tritium beta-decay microglasses. Once painted it'll last over 12+ years(!) without charging. Was also mentioned at NASA's Tech brief. So I thought, wow, you actually can make a supercool replica of a Tron costume without the hassel of EL sheets wires and batteries nor the need of a UV source for illuminating a UV reactive paint, that'll stop glowing, if you turn off the black light.

All yon need would be the Glopaint in the desired color and spraypaint, sealing clear coat for the gear parts, some original Tron pattern mask and Icehockey gears and a frisbee to make your own replica. Isn't that a great solution? :thumbsup

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:MPK_Co's_Litroenergy

http://www.glopaint.com/

I don't know which frightens me more -

- A site called Geekologie
- Something called "Litroenergy, a fluorscent paint with tritium beta-decay microglasses"
- The obvious threat of sterilization or cancer
- The Tron guy
- The fact that I read through both pages and replied

Gene

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back